First thing u gatta do if u want SQ is to get rid of your Polk Audio speakers

Options
13»

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Holy CRAP that's an awesome HU! Dang...I'm definitely salivating now...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2010
    Options
    $1200? Id rather spend $350 on a head unit and $700 on a processor like the Bit 1 or H701. Youll get much better sound and still have $200 left over.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Zitro
    Zitro Posts: 864
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone actually heard a McIntosh HU before? Seems strange that a dedicated home audio company would dive into car audio as well.
    - Jeremy

Amps: Jolida FX-10, NAD 3045, NAD C320BEE, Sansui G-9700
    Speakers: Polk Monitor 7A's, KEF Reference 104aB
    Sources: ProJect Debut Carbon, Sonos streaming FLAC
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,751
    edited June 2010
    Options
    They aren't a dedicated home audio company.

And yes, heard the McIntoshes before. They sound very...expensive.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited June 2010
    Options
    MacLeod wrote: »
    $1200? Id rather spend $350 on a head unit and $700 on a processor like the Bit 1 or H701. Youll get much better sound and still have $200 left over.

yeah but it's pretty.:D
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • Mahna Mahna
    Mahna Mahna Posts: 14
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Ive not only looked at them and listened to several of them in systems, but Ive beat all of those brands at one time or another.

ID aint high end and I wouldnt consider Hybrid to be really high end. They can be made to sound great but I think thats more tuner than speaker. Focal is excellent albeit too bright, Audison doesnt make speakers and Dynaudio always sounded lifeless. Ill keep my SR's.

Boy listen to me talking smack! Who's ya daddy?! :D:p

Hybrid seems to be winning a LOT the last few years. Can't be all tuning especially when one brand wins more than the others....combined.

I'm sure Polk is very good also...just saying.;)
    If you come to Canada, remember our bears like no foam lattes......thank you :D
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Team Hybrids is winning a lot these days. Theyve got a great team with a lot of great competitors all led by mutli world champion Scott Buwalda. Thats a pretty potent combination and thats why theyre winning.

Dont get me wrong, Im not crapping on Hybrid speakers at all, I just dont consider them high end. They just dont seem to be the kind of speaker you can drop in and have it sound great right off the bat like you would say a set of DLS or something. But to be honest, I havent heard his newer high end line - just the older Legatias.

And while Team Hybrid is cleaning up in USACi and IASCA, theyre having some trouble in MECA which is all SQ. Install, presentation, RTA, SPL - none of that counts. But with the guys on Team Hybrid Im sure it wont take long for them to figure it out and start winning in MECA too.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Mahna Mahna
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Team Hybrids is winning a lot these days. Theyve got a great team with a lot of great competitors all led by mutli world champion Scott Buwalda. Thats a pretty potent combination and thats why theyre winning.

Dont get me wrong, Im not crapping on Hybrid speakers at all, I just dont consider them high end. They just dont seem to be the kind of speaker you can drop in and have it sound great right off the bat like you would say a set of DLS or something. But to be honest, I havent heard his newer high end line - just the older Legatias.

And while Team Hybrid is cleaning up in USACi and IASCA, theyre having some trouble in MECA which is all SQ. Install, presentation, RTA, SPL - none of that counts. But with the guys on Team Hybrid Im sure it wont take long for them to figure it out and start winning in MECA too.

What do you think of the DLS Iridiums?
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2010
    Options
    They dont make them anymore but I think theyre one of my favorite speakers. The Nobellium line is my alltime favorite. I got to listen to Eddie DeJesus' S-10 at Car Audio Nationals in 2008 and it is still to this day my favorite system Ive heard. Nice warm, fat sound. But they dont make those anymore either I dont think. Doesnt matter cause theyre nearly $2000 so Id never own a pair unless I won the lottery.

• Mahna Mahna
    edited June 2010
    Options
    They dont make them anymore but I think theyre one of my favorite speakers. The Nobellium line is my alltime favorite. I got to listen to Eddie DeJesus' S-10 at Car Audio Nationals in 2008 and it is still to this day my favorite system Ive heard. Nice warm, fat sound. But they dont make those anymore either I dont think. Doesnt matter cause theyre nearly $2000 so Id never own a pair unless I won the lottery.

The Iridium line was replaced by the new Gothia's ($575 for a set). DLS America claims they are better sounding than the Iridium (naturally). Too soon to tell. Have to see if the Gothia's show up at the IASCA events in Europe.

Too bad about the SR's. I was looking forward to getting a set, selling my IDQ12 v3D4 and matching them up with four MM840's. :D