Star Trek Nemesis - Mini Review

Options
Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited June 2003 in Music & Movies
Video:

Transfer was kinda crappy - harsh lighting, overly contrasted at times, and soft focus in many scenes.

Audio:

DD5.1. Voices are clear and natural, good use of surrounds and bass is quite powerful/deep during attack and action scenes. Thumbs up.

Plot / Acting:

Views and is paced like an extended one-hour TV episode. In other words Star Trek at its best IMO.

The movie is never hard to understand, there are minimal sub plots, and there is lots of action and special effects. I was never bored or looking at my watch or the ceiling - surprised it was almost 2 hours; didn't feel that way at all.

Acting is decent all around but it won't win any awards. Who cares? Like Star Wars, these types of movies should be an excuse to string together a bunch of action scenes and Nemesis succeeds well at that goal.

Nemesis is in the top half of all the Star Trek movies and returns to its roots in the Wrath of Khan vein. A fun movie with great special effects, solid pacing/acting, and bone crunching bass. Doc's rating 7.5/10.

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    Options
    It's already on DVD? Guess so. Man time flies. I can't wait for my pre-order Die Another Day DVD.
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Vidio ...Sucked especially on the 1 st planet. I think they were going for an effect just looked bad.
    Plot...Ok but story not well executed. Should have /could have been darker. Audio..vocals Quite clear..but that was about it ....nothing else really there except this incessant buzzing when they were on the ship.
    Overall...Big letdown.
    Watch it on Showtime..or Rental.
    My 2 Stuff
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited May 2003
    Options
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6985

Please refer to my comment there.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Passed on buying it, rented it, watched it, liked the bass, especially the big battle scene.

Story was OK, I am not a trekie, but like sci fi as a rule. You can guess how things will turn out but everyone knows the Enterprise has been around since dirt.

Definetely worth the rental fee.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2003
    Options
    the movie was good plot and acton it is just a shame that this is the last startreck movie.

and yes cant wait till tuesday for die another day and the anamatrix to come out.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited May 2003
    Options
    I'm a huge Star Trek fan.

Next Gen is my personal favorite.I was happy to see one last movie from that cast but it wasn't any more then a good extended tv ep.I agee with Doc on that.

The only thing I don't really care for and it seems to happen more and more is all the "happy to be back stuff",if you noticed it,you'll know exaclty what I'm talking about.

for a rating.........6.5 out of 10.

I own it as it's a must........collection and all
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • geekmedic
    geekmedic Posts: 78
    edited May 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by mantis
    I'm a huge Star Trek fan.

I have heard that Nemesis was the last movie to have the next generation crew in it. Will the next movie have the Enterprise crew, and if so, when will they be filming it?

The only reason I liked TNG was because of Picard and Data. All other things aside, I thought Enterprise had a much better crew. Who could argue against the beauty of Seven of Nine, eh? Hubba hubba.
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. - Albert Einstein
  • TonyPTX
    TonyPTX Posts: 545
    edited May 2003
    Options
    T'Pol could knock my boots off.....:D
    Damn....8 lines...I've gotta put my sig on a diet now....
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2003
    Options
    i liked voyiger it took me a while to get usto the new treck but i do like it now never did like ds9
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited June 2003
    Options
    7 of 9...........she took my breath away the first time I saw her all cleaned up.....she's killer.

I personally like all the TV shows.deep space was hard to get into I will admit.It could be the worse one.But watchable nonetheless.It's Star Trek.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I never saw the movie in the theater. Rented the DVD and thought it was ok. Much better than Adaptation which I watched the night before.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Please refer to my comment there.

(Headed to the bowl to launch a captian's log. . .)
    You sir, are a sick motha fuc*a.....and G.D. I love it...... :D
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I'd sort of forgotten about this movie until I saw this thread, so I rented it tonight. I agree.. it watched like an extended TV show. I thought it was enjoyable. I didn't find myself getting up and puttering around, which is always the sure sign I'm bored with a flick. I'd rate it one of the top 2-3 Star Treks overall... I thought Khan was good and I've always had a soft spot for IV, the one about the whales.

I'd consider buying this... actually my wife really likes STNG, gosh, she sure could use a present... oh honey? Look what I got you!