HT Labs Measures: Polk LSi Speaker System

Options
Bernal
Bernal Posts: 991
edited May 2010 in Speakers
Hello, Polk Master
This data is current in the series "LSi.
Thanks

HT Labs Measures: Polk LSi Speaker System

403polk.5.jpg

"...This graph shows the quasi-anechoic (employing close-miking of all woofers) frequency response of the LSi25 L/R (purple trace), PSW650 subwoofer (blue trace), LSiC center channel (green trace), LSiFX side surround channel (red trace), and LSi9 rear surround channel (gold trace). All passive loudspeakers were measured at a distance of 1 meter with a 2.83-volt input and scaled for display purposes.

The LSi25's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.82/-2.34 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The -3dB point is at 27 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 25 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.02 ohms at 94 Hz and a phase angle of -43.97 degrees at 2.2 kHz. Sensitivity averages 89 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSiC's listening-window response measures +1.38/-0.77 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. An average of axial and +/-15-degree horizontal responses measures +1.54/-1.18 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 67 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 55 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.36 ohms at 65 Hz and a phase angle of -42.17 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 88 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSiFX's three-face averaged response in dipole mode measures +1.05/-2.49 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 60 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 43 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.49 ohms at 46 Hz and a phase angle of -41.05 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 86 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The LSi9's listening-window response measures +1.10/-2.18 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz. The -3dB point is at 59 Hz, and the -6dB point is at 47 Hz. Impedance reaches a minimum of 2.57 ohms at 53 Hz and a phase angle of -21.31 degrees at 1.8 kHz. Sensitivity averages 88.5 dB from 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

The PSW650's close-miked response, normalized to the average level from 40 to 80 Hz, indicates that the lower -3dB point is at 32 Hz and the -6dB point is at 28 Hz. The upper -3dB point is at 136 Hz with the variable low-pass crossover control set to maximum.—AJ. http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/161/index2.html
.."

01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's
03) OPPO BDP-83SE Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio
04) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
05) DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
06) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
07) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
09) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
10) POLKAUDIO LSiC Vertically (Surround speaker)
11) POLKAUDIO LSiC Vertically (Surround speaker)
12) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround back speakers)
13) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround back speakers)
14) VELODYNE OPTIMUN SERIES 12"(High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=98096 (Not updated)
Post edited by Bernal on

Comments

• mmadden28
    mmadden28 Posts: 4,283
    edited May 2010
    Options

HT:Onkyo 805, Emotiva XPA-5, Mitsu 52" 1080p DLP / polkaudio RTi12, CSIa6, FXi3, uPro4K
    2-chnl : Pio DV-46AV (SACD), Dodd ELP, Emotiva XPA-1s, XPA-2, Odyssey Khartago, LSi9, SDA-SRS 2 :cool:, SB Duet, MSB & Monarchy DACs, Yamaha PX3 TT, SAE Tuner...
    Pool: Atrium 60's/45's
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,943
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm not sure what your point is in posting this, but since you have highlighted the 2.xx ohm readings measured, maybe you are wondering how this is so when they are rated for 4 ohms. Well, some speakers in the LSi range are known to dip well below 4 ohms, and yes: as low as 2 ohms. That is one reason why they are often described as "power hungry", or difficult to drive (not entirely accurate, since they have a reasonable efficiency/senisitivity level). The LSi7, OTOH, also rated at 4 ohms, are actually closer to 6 ohms, according to a previous message from c/s in this forum.

All speakers will vary constantly, as I understand it, including 8 ohm speakers.
    Alea jacta est!
  • comfortablycurt
    comfortablycurt Posts: 6,745
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Is this a question...or just a general statement?:confused:
    The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    mmadden28 wrote: »

Graphics are good visual example to learn. Seeking the graphics of "LSi15." It has a link. Thanks.
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Is this a question...or just a general statement?:confused:

It is a question
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Options
    According to the equipment I have here, LSI15's only dip down to 3ohms, making them the second easiest to drive in the LSI family. FR was also ruler flat.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    I'm not sure what your point is in posting this, but since you have highlighted the 2.xx ohm readings measured, maybe you are wondering how this is so when they are rated for 4 ohms. Well, some speakers in the LSi range are known to dip well below 4 ohms, and yes: as low as 2 ohms. That is one reason why they are often described as "power hungry", or difficult to drive (not entirely accurate, since they have a reasonable efficiency/senisitivity level). The LSi7, OTOH, also rated at 4 ohms, are actually closer to 6 ohms, according to a previous message from c/s in this forum.

All speakers will vary constantly, as I understand it, including 8 ohm speakers.

Thanks for your reply.
    The information is applicable to today.
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Face wrote: »
    According to the equipment I have here, LSI15's only dip down to 3ohms, making them the second easiest to drive in the LSI family. FR was also ruler flat.

3 Ohms.
    The information is applicable to today.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • Kex
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bernal wrote: »
    ... The information is applicable to today.
    3 Ohms.
    The information is applicable to today. ...
    Errr ..., ahem ..., cough, cough ..., What?!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Errr ..., ahem ..., cough, cough ..., What?!

Sorry, this is a question.
  • TouchOfEvil
    TouchOfEvil Posts: 967
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think i have failed to see the point of this thread?:confused:
    Living Room Rig:D
    Rotel RSP-1069/Rotel RMB-1095/Rotel-1072/Polk lsI15's W/modded xoverW/DBsubs/Polk LsiC/lsI7's/Klipsch sub-12"the weak link"/DLP Mitsubishi 65"
    Xbox360/PS3/WII
    M.Br. setup:)
    Emotiva MMC-1/Rotel RMB-1075/Polk BlackStone TL350's/Velodyne SPL1000/Samsung 51" Plasma
    Computer Rig:
    Rotel RB1050/Tannoy DC4's/Klipsch RW-10d/ImodIpod/HK AVR230 for now....
    Headphones-Ultrasone-HFI780's w/LittleDot MK Vamp Portables Panasonic HJE-900's
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I think someone is getting a prostrate exam while posting on his iPhone.
  • Kex
    edited May 2010
    Options
    It is a question
    Bernal, we all seem to be missing something here. What exactly is your question? Please clarify!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited May 2010
    Options
    He's using a translator, so his statements may come across odd at times.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I'm with Kex, I don't understand what you want to know and why? You have enough power in your signature not to have to worry about impedance drops. The specs are not that far off from Polk's own and you 'like' your LSI system? Am I missing something here?

And as you know, numbers can never tell you what something 'really' sounds like in your room and to 'you'!

With Face, I understand that Bernal's first language is probably Spanish maybe some French? And that many of his posts quote 'reviews' which is not a bad thing but not the 'only' thing!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    He wants to know if the Oppo BD83 is spectacular or not. :rolleyes:
    :):):):)
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    I'm with Kex, I don't understand what you want to know and why? You have enough power in your signature not to have to worry about impedance drops. The specs are not that far off from Polk's own and you 'like' your LSI system? Am I missing something here?

And as you know, numbers can never tell you what something 'really' sounds like in your room and to 'you'!

With Face, I understand that Bernal's first language is probably Spanish maybe some French? And that many of his posts quote 'reviews' which is not a bad thing but not the 'only' thing!

cnh

This was the point.:)
    Thanks for your reply.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,815
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Bernal, we all seem to be missing something here. What exactly is your question? Please clarify!

theres always one...............:rolleyes:
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    NotaSuv wrote: »
    theres always one...............:rolleyes:

My question was on the impedance in the series "LSI" versus "Sunfire". Cnh answer my question on the subject. Thanks:)
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    That is a nice source of information Bernal. Some new members who are inteested in the LSi's may not have seen it before, so thanks for posting it.

The LSi series is truly splendid. Overtime, I've upgraded my two major HT systems to LSi's, as well as, both my two channel systems which use LSi9's and LSi7's respectively. I'm trying to get my hands on an Adcom 5802 to drive the LSi9's. I know it is a fine amp and a good fit for the 9's.

I'm waiting for next generation LSi's in the hope they will be more spectacular.

Thanks for your reply.
    I am happy with the LSi series, and therefore the interest in knowing more about their performance.
  • Bernal
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Polk Master

Thanks for your answers
  • Hansvelton
    Options
    Face wrote: »

Hey I know a very old post, but did you actually find measurements on the 15's somewhere?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,623
    Options
    @Face has not been active since early 2020