Options
124»

Comments

• frosty2k
    frosty2k Posts: 39
    edited June 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    In your Honda, the way the tweets were placed they were obviously reflecting off the windshield. Was there a particular spot on the windshield where they were aimed?
    MacLeod wrote: »
    The SR tweeters wouldn't work in that spot because they're so directional. I had to use a set of Morel dome tweeters to get that spot to work.

wait wait wait wait... sorry to drop back to an old post, but you're saying that the SR5250 ring-radiator tweeters are no good firing off the windshield?

I was going to mount mine in the stock location which is right up against the window, firing straight up against a highly angled windshield.

speaker20.jpg

Is this position going to be a 'this sound terrible' or more of a 'this is not competition worthy' kind of thing. I can deal with not being comp ready, but terrible? I don't know. I was hoping to have a stealth install.
    /////ALPINE INA-W900 HU
    /////ALPINE PXA-H100 DSP
    polkaudio SR5250
    JL Audio HD600/4
    polkaudio SR124DVC
    JL Audio HD750/1

"In this house, we obey the Laws of Thermodynamics!"
  • arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Mac was running 1.5" morel domes in that spot. If you're into tuning, the sr tweets won't work there. If you're not and are just looking for a plug and play solution, then try them there and see how they sound.

Even if you're not into tuning you would get better tonality with these tweets more on axis. They have a very narrow dispersion and hence you need to keep them on axis both in the horizontal and vertical plane. It would be tough to do that where you have them. Hear how they sound there and then decide.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Tonality wise, Id say it wasnt that huge of a hit. Granted theyd work better on axis but youll still get good sound with them there.

Imaging wise, it was terrible. They never would focus up.

So for everyday driving and listening, theyll work ok there but theyd be better elsewhere.

For extreme tuning, they dont work there.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Settled on a permanent (for now) spot for my tweeters. I used the PVC end cap idea. Painted them black with texture paint so they dont look all ghetto and stuck them about 2" up on the A pillar and firing to the opposite head rest. They seem to work really well there.

Theyre both pretty well on axis but not directly firing into one of my eardrums causing some wicked beaming. I lost a little width but gained my depth back so hopefully theyll even out. MECA changed their scoresheet this year and it kinda sucks now but oh well.

Its hotter than hell out here today so Ill wait to do some serious tuning on them but Im pretty sure, thats where theyre gonna go.

Best part - I only had to drill a 3/8" hole. Thats gonna be no problem at all to cover up when I trade this POS in.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • arun1963
    edited June 2010
    Options
    ...ummmm, forget it, I just had some beginners luck :)
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2010
    Options
    arun1963 wrote: »
    ...ummmm, forget it, I just had some beginners luck :)

I told you all along the A pillars were the best spot. Some people just dont listen.

:D

• TakeTheTime
    TakeTheTime Posts: 249
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Any issues on reflections with the tweeters in the A's, Mac?
    Pioneer P88RS-II | Polk Audio SR5250 | JL Audio 12w6v2 | 2x Genesis 3 Stereo 100 | Genesis 3 Monoblock
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Yeah. I didnt notice them last night but driving to work the left tweeter is pretty overpowering.

I havent had a chance to tune on them yet so I dont know if this will be a problem or not. I go thru the lanes with the seat all the way back and leaning back pretty good so my seating position aint the same as my daily driver position so that may be the problem too.

• arun1963
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I don't think it's an issue of reflections. The near tweet could be overpowering cause its more on axis than it should be. Pushing the seat back and tuning would be the first step. Also try swapping the metal tweets for the sr tweets. If all else fails, you can always drill some more 3/8" holes to get the angles right. :)
  • catch22atplay
    catch22atplay Posts: 130
    edited June 2010
    Options
    Or make it a slot in the pvc cap instead of 1 hole. 2 or 3 holes close together. Then file it down or use a dremel tool to make 1 slot. BAM, multi positional tweeter mount.
    Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad Cab 2007
    Pioneer DEX-P99RS, IPOD Touch 64gb, Rockford Fosgate T1000-4, T600-2 & T1500-1bd CP
    Polk Audio SR speakers, 6.5's, 5.25's, SR tweets and 2 SR124-DVC subs in 1.57cu ft sealed enclosures
  • arun1963
    edited June 2010
    Options
    If it is the angles, Try pulling the pods out of the pillars and stick them on the dash at the base of the pillars with double sided tape. Now play with the angles till you get it right. The angles you have to maintain, will tell you where you have to drill the A pillars.

Is the delay between the tweets, less than that for the mids? Your idea of delaying the far tweet a bit more than the near mid works great, the far tweet is further than the near mid and you get better height. But if the tweets are delayed less than the mids, the near tweet always jumps out at you.
  • MacLeod
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I still havent tuned any on it. Its 4,000 degrees here lately and after delivering beer all day in the heat, when I get home its really hard to get me back outside. Ill get some seat time probably tomorrow.

I havent worked out the delay yet but thats not the problem. When I had them lying on the dash, they sounded flat out awesome! Now that theyre 2" off the dash, the left one is way hot. Probably it was the dash that was muting the left tweet before since it was just sitting on it.

I really want to get these LPG alum's to work. They have so much potential. They are the best tweeter Ive used to date so far except for those $1000 Genesis a friend let me use last year.

• arun1963
    edited June 2010
    Options
    I still havent tuned any on it. Its 4,000 degrees here lately and after delivering beer all day in the heat, when I get home its really hard to get me back outside. Ill get some seat time probably tomorrow..

Wuss!! It's only a pleasant low 90's, in your neck of the woods. Come here and enjoy 115. :p
    When I had them lying on the dash, they sounded flat out awesome! Probably it was the dash that was muting the left tweet before since it was just sitting on it.

Do you get extra points for the tweets in the pillars even though they sound better on the dash? ;) Damn it, why do I always feel remorse everytime I tease you?.......... not that it stops me :D. JK, I know ure trying for extra width. Can you post some pics of how they are mounted on the pillars? I just want to see the angle of the near tweet and what it could be loading off.

I really want to get these LPG alum's to work. They have so much potential. They are the best tweeter Ive used to date so far except for those $1000 Genesis a friend let me use last year.

How do the sr RR's stack up against the LPG?