USB Microscope Stylus Inspection

2»

Comments

• jim 249
    jim 249 Posts: 347
    edited May 2010
    Hi All; I switched computers and the results were much better. The first computer was a pent 3. I next used my laptop and it worked much better. If someone could tell me how to post pictures in a message than I will post them this evening. Off to mow my pasture for now.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2010
    Mine is on its way, I'm glad it got better with your computer change.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,117
    edited May 2010
    jim 249 wrote: »
    Hi All; I switched computers and the results were much better. The first computer was a pent 3. I next used my laptop and it worked much better. If someone could tell me how to post pictures in a message than I will post them this evening. Off to mow my pasture for now.

I sent you a PM.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited May 2010
    OP, make sure your files are JPG. Post a message and go advanced and you will see a paper clip, slect that and select the files you want to upload then select upload.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • madmax
    edited May 2010
    I got mine set up last night. Impressive instrument! Its sitting so that I get a nice image whenever the tone arm is parked. I was disgusted at what the bottom of my cart looked like so I guess I'll have to dust it off. Very cool find, I recommend.
    madmax

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    madmax wrote: »
    I got mine set up last night. Impressive instrument! Its sitting so that I get a nice image whenever the tone arm is parked. I was disgusted at what the bottom of my cart looked like so I guess I'll have to dust it off. Very cool find, I recommend.
    madmax

Chuck you know me, do I want one?;)
  • madmax
    edited May 2010
    Chuck you know me, do I want one?;)

Actually, as I posted that pic I was thinking "hearingimpared is gonna want one of these". Seriously. :D

I may pick one up for work (looking at surface mount components) after seeing how well it works. It is better than the PCB microscopes we use around here.
    madmax

• hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Actually, as I posted that pic I was thinking "hearingimpared is gonna want one of these". Seriously. :D

I may pick one up for work (looking at surface mount components) after seeing how well it works. It is better than the PCB microscopes we use around here.
    madmax

Thanks you Sir!:)
  • madmax
    edited May 2010
    The underside of my cart was embarasing. I thought I was going to puke when I saw it.

• hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    The underside of my cart was embarasing. I thought I was going to puke when I saw it.

If you move your Onzow back a bit so that the underside of your cartridge and cantilever touch the top of the bubble, it will remove the debris. You may have to do it few times to get the best results. That's how I keep my cartridge underbelly and cantilever clean. I do it after each side of and LP is played.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited May 2010
    A very cool idea. I'm sure USB microscopes will get better, cheaper and better suited to inspecting stylii as time goes on.
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • madmax
    edited May 2010
    If you move your Onzow back a bit so that the underside of your cartridge and cantilever touch the top of the bubble, it will remove the debris. You may have to do it few times to get the best results. That's how I keep my cartridge underbelly and cantilever clean. I do it after each side of and LP is played.

Never thought of that! That will get the outlying dirt off. The whole underneath is open and all the parts in there are covered with tiny flakes of something. I tried a stiff blow of air and they didn't move. I'm not one for cleanliness unless it helps something funtion better given the ease of damage. I'm not sure what to do about it. Keep in mind I can't see any of this when not using the microscope so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

• hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Never thought of that! That will get the outlying dirt off. The whole underneath is open and all the parts in there are covered with tiny flakes of something. I tried a stiff blow of air and they didn't move. I'm not one for cleanliness unless it helps something funtion better given the ease of damage. I'm not sure what to do about it. Keep in mind I can't see any of this when not using the microscope so it probably doesn't matter anyway.

I think if dirt was as issue there the designer would have made the proper adjustments to keep it out. I there any way to contact the manufacturer about this?
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    Madmax; How did you attach that thumbnail to your post? Glad to see you got one of those cool toys! I think the video card plays a very important role for getting a good picture image. Please post a pic of your cartridge taken with the scope.
  • madmax
    edited May 2010
    Madmax; How did you attach that thumbnail to your post? Glad to see you got one of those cool toys! I think the video card plays a very important role for getting a good picture image. Please post a pic of your cartridge taken with the scope.

I'll post a pic later, its on my other hard drive at home.

To post a pic here click "post new reply", not "quick reply", and post your message. Go down to "Additional Options" below the window you are typing in and click "Manage Attachments". Click "Browse" and find the pic on your hard drive. Click "Upload". After a few seconds you will see it is uploaded. Click "Close this Window". That brings you back to your message. Click "Submit Reply".

madmax

• jim 249
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Madmax for the info!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    Can any of you with the USB microscope post a pic of the stylus mounted on the tone arm ?

scope positioned on the side like the pic above on post 36.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    Here are some new pictures of a couple of old needles I have gotten over the years and my setup for looking them. The first is a Denon cartridge that I got with a used Denon turntable from fleabay. I don't think it was tried out but just taken off and saved. The second is after one cleaning with alcohol and a qtip. The third was a qtip soaked in alcohol and placed on the needle end for about a half an hour. It looks better but is still grunged out. The fourth picture is a Ortofon M20E that was cleaned with alcohol. In the pictures you can see two bright spots showing the needle wear by the tip. Neither one looks worn out yet. Anyone have any ideas on how to get that aged crud off the stylus tip? I certainly won't use a used cartridge now without looking at it first with the usb microscope! Thanks for any help!:D
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    This is great jim. Have you tried using the scope with cart mounted on tonearm and get an upclose pic from the side ?

Since I have a fixed headshell I would like to see if the USB scope can provide a good view mounted.

Thanks again.

TS
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    Hi th; Iwill try to try that out in the next few days and will post an udate to this thread.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Here are some new pictures of a couple of old needles I have gotten over the years and my setup for looking them. The first is a Denon cartridge that I got with a used Denon turntable from fleabay. I don't think it was tried out but just taken off and saved. The second is after one cleaning with alcohol and a qtip. The third was a qtip soaked in alcohol and placed on the needle end for about a half an hour. It looks better but is still grunged out. The fourth picture is a Ortofon M20E that was cleaned with alcohol. In the pictures you can see two bright spots showing the needle wear by the tip. Neither one looks worn out yet. Anyone have any ideas on how to get that aged crud off the stylus tip? I certainly won't use a used cartridge now without looking at it first with the usb microscope! Thanks for any help!:D

Very cool Jim. As far as the welded on crude goes, I suggest a belt sander!:eek::D Seriously, if you don't want to invest in an Onzow Zerodust then buy a plain Mr. Clean Magic eraser and try that.