USB Microscope Stylus Inspection

jim 249
jim 249 Posts: 347
edited May 2010 in Electronics
Hi all; It's been awhile since I posted. Has anyone used a USB microscope to inspect the stylus on a phono cartridge? They are getting quite cheap now and would seem to be a good way to inspect one, with the image being displayed on a computer monitor. Thanks!!!:)
Post edited by jim 249 on

Comments

• Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2010
    Throw it up on your 55" wide screen and you can see the individual carbon atoms.;)
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited May 2010
    Wow dude I am very interested, do you have a link to it?
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    Here is a link to the one I am looking at on BUY.com.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=213692859
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited May 2010
    400X should do it but I don't think you will be able to see wear grooves on the tip. Still it would be good to see how much cleaning the tip needs and possibly without removing the cart from the arm.

Now I am interested.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    I have one on order now. I will post pictures once I receive it and test it out.
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    Kewl Jim, Please do.
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    jim 249 wrote: »
    Here is a link to the one I am looking at on BUY.com.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=213692859
    I have one on order now. I will post pictures once I receive it and test it out.

Look pretty cool Jim, thanks. Yeah man please let us know and a pic would be great. You've pique my interest on this bud.

My old eyes need reading glasses and it sure will make it easier to work with vs trying to focus in with a magnifying glass in one hand, a brush or plastic pick in the other while leaning back in a chair to focus the reading glasses in on that little nib!:eek::D

Tracy, it may not show wear but it will sure help get any grunge that's been bonded on the stylus off it.:)
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    And you may be able to do it without removing the cart to look at the tip. I have a microscope but with going to a fixed cart TT that would mean removing the cart to look at the tip.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,117
    edited May 2010
    Very interesting indeed!!!!
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Bubinga99
    Bubinga99 Posts: 283
    edited May 2010
    Here's a link to an old Shure SEK-2 professional stylus evaluation system:
    http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_sek-2_ug.pdf

If nothing else, the photos in it, of stylus wear, might be useful.

Also, here's a link to someone that used a cheap USB microscope for cartridges:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/82/829896.html
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    If you do a search on YouTube there is a video review of the one I ordered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swo3Wo7nzUg
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    The one I ordered is $59.00 including shipping. I wonder what the power rating is on that scope at audioasylum . It looks to be around 250X.
  • Bubinga99
    edited May 2010
    Looks like it's 10x-50x-200x. The price differences probably reflect better quality optics, lighting, image sensors, software capabilities, and maybe precision fine adjustment stands. Working with high magnification can be pretty frustrating without fine adjustment, but I bet there is an accessory fine-adjustment stand somewhere.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,619
    edited May 2010
    Jim, for the $5x dollars you spent, you can't go wrong.

The main problems you might come across are lighting the object to be viewed, and the depth of field. Cough wrong and the picture might go out of focus.

Still, good buy.
    Sal Palooza
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    thsmith wrote: »
    And you may be able to do it without removing the cart to look at the tip. I have a microscope but with going to a fixed cart TT that would mean removing the cart to look at the tip.

Yeah man that would be really good for more than just the obvious reasons. One off the top of my head would be that you could work on the stylus and the underside of the cartridge with a free hand because it would be fixed in the headshell. Another would be not having to hold the cartridge still in a small vice which always scares the hell out of me.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Bubinga99 wrote: »
    Here's a link to an old Shure SEK-2 professional stylus evaluation system:
    http://www.shure.com/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/us_pro_sek-2_ug.pdf

If nothing else, the photos in it, of stylus wear, might be useful.

Also, here's a link to someone that used a cheap USB microscope for cartridges:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/messages/82/829896.html

Thanks for the pdf Bub, it went right into my pdf folder for stylus care. Also, LOL! that Wally Malewicz would be interested in such a product. He makes some great customized setup tools and gadgets.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    If you do a search on YouTube there is a video review of the one I ordered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swo3Wo7nzUg

Great vid Jim. It's refreshing to have a Brit doing a commercial without the shouting that usually goes along with the info-mercials on TV!:eek:;)

I can't wait to hear your impressions of it.:)
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    Me too. I did not realize it provided its own light source.

I pull the head shell of my Technics from time to time to look at the stylis and clean as required. Since I am going to a new TT with fixed headshell this unit should allow me to accomplish the same thing.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited May 2010
    My Dad uses one for the vinyl rig I built for him a few years ago. He's a fan of the ritual of it all, I'm not.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    Whats the story Jim ?????
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited May 2010
    dorokusai wrote: »
    My Dad uses one for the vinyl rig I built for him a few years ago. He's a fan of the ritual of it all, I'm not.

The younger generations are always more lazy. ;)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    Hi All; I just got it. I hope to get to it in the next couple of days.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Hi All; I just got it. I hope to get to it in the next couple of days.

Chomping at the bit!
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    ^^^^+1
  • jim 249
    edited May 2010
    OK, Ok. Not such good news on this. While it works, it is very difficult to work with. That little diamond is very hard to see. The optics are not all that great but it did work, but not as well as I hoped for. Still a fun toy though. Thanks to Bubinga99 for the links above!!!!! If I can figure out how to post a picture on here than one will be forthcoming.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    OK, Ok. Not such good news on this. While it works, it is very difficult to work with. That little diamond is very hard to see. The optics are not all that great but it did work, but not as well as I hoped for. Still a fun toy though. Thanks to Bubinga99 for the links above!!!!! If I can figure out how to post a picture on here than one will be forthcoming.

Bummer, I thought I found a new toy!:(
  • thsmith
    edited May 2010
    Jim, could you see the stylis enough to make out if it was dirty ? Guess pics will determine that.
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    ^^^^^^ Yeah Jim see if you can post up some pics. I would love to get a gander at what you can see.
  • Bubinga99
    edited May 2010
    Too bad it's not working out, but at least it wasn't too costly.
    If you want to see some good magnified pics of vinyl grooves and stylus, this 5 part article is pretty good:

http://www.micrographia.com/projec/projapps/viny/viny0000.htm
  • hearingimpared
    edited May 2010
    Great link Bub!