Rs159

Options
redhouse
redhouse Posts: 78
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
I saw your post about my system, 3 ft of spacing why not, the soundstage is awesome. A custom installer from chicago helped out with my stuff and have set up many of systems the same. I have seen many times over the years in Sound and Vision mag the spacing the same. And for the subwoofer being a kicker again why not? A subwoofer is just a subwoofer no matter it's title car or home it's the ohms that count 4 being for the car and 8 in the house. In recording music in the studio over the years I have many times seen subs swapped out for car audio subs. The kicker I have is 300 watts and 8 ohms when something blows up you feel it big time when jammin to some music it brings the lows like none I have ever heard. and for the model numbers what's the big deal I thought people only wanted to see the pictures. I sure you being a true polkie as you said can tell my stuff is very high end **** I mean the damn projector cost $8000 and the audio stuff is over $15.000 and the room it's self cost over $20.000 I don't mean to come off hard but what's your point. And which system is yours?
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I like your room and love the guitars! wish I could play the one I have! I would have to agree with RS159 and you should spread your speakers out a bit!

No offense man, but if you paid over $15,000 for those speakers/electronics I'd be going to the Better Business Bearou because you got ripped off!

Those speakers are the R series I assume? Polks LOWEST line... not very high end... Sorry but it's true...

A sub is not just a sub... Dr. Spec may have to chime in here...

ohms for car or home do not matter. 4 ohm subs can go in homes too. Car subs were not designed to be used in homes. The don't go low enough, they're designed for small cabins in cars, not filling large rooms with sub sonic bass.

just my 2 cents... I'm not trying to start a fight here... fill us in on where you got your stuff, we're here to educate, although a lot of fighting seems to be going on lately...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Redhouse,
    Man, I don't know what to tell ya, but first off, you need to relax.........You're apparently under the impression that this is a competition here (it's not).

I'm gonna agree with tryrrthg that if you paid anything close to $15k for your audio system, you got freakin raped. It wouldn't be a bad idea for you to actually list out the models of your equipment and speaker system so people actually know whatcha got. Tryrrthg is correct though that the R series is the entry level system in the tower speakers that Polk makes. That's not to say that they don't sound good, as there are people that like them quite a bit, but you can't act like your system is the ultimate system when there are other's that are in fact....better. Don't get bent here when ya read that, it's just true.

I can see a few times where people have made suggestions about your system, both of which you're wanting to whine and cry about. People here are going to try and help when they see something that could be tweeked and improved. RS is right that to have your front stage so close together that you won't get the true sound seperation that a HT set-up should provide. Maybe you're not running a DD system and it may not be an issue for you, but without knowing what you have then I'm guessing.

Good luck to ya with your system. If you're wanting us to all argue with ya every time ya post, then your short stay will be an interesting one..........later.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2003
    Options
    the car sub is designed to play in a car and has less of a low end. in a car you get massave gain in the low end but in a ht the sub has to alot more work to go low. some but very few car subs sound good in ht. also most car subs are over priced.

i also agree with this forem is here to help others and have a good time. if you need help or want to read revews on other speakers/amps read but if you want to show off you might want to go elseware. if you just try what others recomend and you dont like it go back to what you had befor.

i do knot know all in the worls of ht so that is y i come here and to other bords to get info and advice and to chat with others with other that have a same intrest as me.
  • redhouse
    edited June 2003
    Options
    First off I never said my system is better then anyone on this site, all I said there are a few system's (weak **** as I put it) but never said mine is the best I have seen alot of system on the showcase that are better then mine. The reason I even to went on this site was to get advice on my system since my goal is to build the most kick **** home theater I can. And for my stuff being paid to much for two things one out here in the country good stuff is hard to come by so to get it you end up paying more. but I did not over pay by way to much I posted some of my model numbers today check it out. I think I am getting a bad rap here over one post chewing some guy out for slamming my pic's one more I called the dude a **** not to **** with all **** but just like calling him a **** or something so everyone just chill. thanks for the advice I might try the space thing but can someone tell me why. and for the subs I would have to disagree but hey to each his own.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,164
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Redhouse, your soundstage may be awesome 3 feet apart. However, in doing this your soundwaves run into each other. So its all jumbled, your speakers should be atleast 6 feet apart. Car Audio subwoofers are made for cars. They are not accurate, boomy, and they make noise. They are made for cars, they are made to fill in that small area with alot of noise. They dont hit very low, and enclosing them in that small enclosure, in a huge room is just the opposite of what their meant for. This is my 2 cents. Nothing more, nothing less.

Redhouse, no one slammed your pictures. I was using them as an example to non-audio related things. They said my thumb-tac-driver-holder was pointless. No one is slamming anything. As I said above, your speakers being close together will cause things to get jumbled, and it will get pretty harsh on the top end. You ever seen a Shelf system with the speakers right by the component? Well its the same effect having your speakers 3 feet apart from each other. Yet the speakers are also right by the center. If you want to go by 3 feet, how about 3 feet from the center on each speaker?? That would work wonders...

Redhouse, My system hasnt even topped 4,000 yet. You were ripped, bottum line. You need to sue, 15,000 isnt even in the Polk realm. Their TOTL cant even top 7,000 of speaker system.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Where in Michigan are you from?

I was from a small hick town in northwest Ohio and I never had to over pay for things because I didn't live in a big city...

I don't know much about your electronics but I still say that if you paid 15 grand you got ripped off! You can get some of the best electronics in the world for that kind of cash: Krell, Mark Levinson, Proceed are just a few names that could be had for that money. They would eat Pioneer elite for breakfast!

as for the spacing between speakers... If they are all as close as you have them they will sound like all the effects are coming from one location. The purpose behind HT is to be enveloped in the sound. you don't want all of your front sound stage to be coming from one central location. So when a car drives across the screen it will sound like its going across the room rather than across the 3 feet that you have your speakers spread apart...

Car sub vs. HT sub is not "to each his own" it's a FACT! some car subs will work OK for HT but they just can't compare to subs designed for home use. you say you want to build a kick **** HT and you want to learn but you're already dismissing a FACT that people are trying to educate you about. You'll have to keep an open mind if you're going to learn anything about this hobby! no offense, just an observation...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    your soundwaves run into each other. So its all jumbled, your speakers should be atleast 6 feet apart

Sid, I'm scratching my head on this one.
    Lets talk about classical waves. If you have two point sources ie. speakers, there will be constructive and destructive interference regardless of how far they sit apart. However, with the two sources closer together, these iterations of interference will be more spread out along the axis pointing away from the speakers, and they will be more frequent as the two sources are spread farther from one another. So basically your null spots will be easier to recognise with the speakers closer together. But that's the only way the soundWAVES come into the picture.

I think what you meant to say, is the soundSTAGE will be much smaller (which is true) with a short spacing, and for the distance most people sit from their speakers, 6 feet is a more reasonable spacing.
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I dunno man, I also had my speakers 3 feet apart at times. What I found was effin bright highs, and a muddied midrange. Maybe its my room.......:confused::confused::confused: Oh well, I stand corrected then. lol. Wait a sec.......yep, what you said after that is what I meant. Alright, were back on the game here...lol @_@
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Sid,
    Noticing more highs or lows may be possible with speakers closer together, because like I said, there will be more distinguised cancellation. So what was most likely happening, is you had some bass cancelling out where you were listening, and your high's became more apparent. So we can both be right :-)
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Well lets break it down this way. 3 feet apart.....is not good. lol!
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited June 2003
    Options
    what the h-e- double L is a muddied midrange?? did you throw mud on the driver?? i understand brightness as the tweeters sounding high pitched.. but where do we get all these terms, muddy mid bass, tight lows, bright highs, sheesh speak english.. :) of course i am kidding except for the muddy midrange, i have never heard a muddy midrange. I don't think
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Muddied midrange, sounds together. Listen to Klipsch - work from there. It gets all jumbled......
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Muddied midrange, sounds together. Listen to Klipsch - work from there. It gets all jumbled......

Amazing description, milliseconds of genius here.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Amazing description, milliseconds of genius here.

hahah!! so what's the deal with the Mud on the midrange?? :)
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I put them outside, and this dude drove by in a mud puddle and it got everywhere..............sorrry
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    *ding*

"Welcome to Club Polk, can I take your order please?'

"Umm, yeah, I'll take a Sid post, and uh, give me a side bag of nothing to go with it, biggie-sized."

"Thank you sir, I'll have your total at the window, please drive though"
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I try, yet I helped Redhouse solve his problem. Whether yall admit that or not. I dont care, Ding - Frys done. That'll be 1,000,000+ at the 2nd window.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,074
    edited June 2003
    Options
    redhouse,
    If a custom Installer setup your speakers like that I would personally fire him.

I'm a custom Installer.......

If your true to your word about wanting to come in here and learn,help your system along......talk to me.....I'll help you.

All this stupid crap about who said what this and that...forget about it.........bunch of women crying about nothing......

I say lets skip the crap and talk about your system and where you wanna go with it....I'm game are you???
    Mantis
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Oh PUKE!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,663
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I say lets skip the crap and talk about your system and where you wanna go with it....I'm game are you???
    Mantis [/B][/QUOTE]

AMEN
    PS- Love the guitars too. Brings back fond memories of my younger days (on drums, never could hack the axe)
  • dthomps
    dthomps Posts: 352
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Redhouse-

I would agree with everyone suggesting that you might space your speakers apart a little more. I bet if you moved them to the edges of the screen (or maybe a little bit less space between) you would have an even more killer soundstage. You have some very nice gear and a very clean looking room, looks like you have spent a lot of time working on all of it. Good luck with speaker placement- if you search a little on the forum you will find long threads on the topic.

Everyone else-

Why isn't it possible for his system to have cost $15,000?
    It does seem a bit pricey, but if you looked at the retail prices on his gear you would soon see he has about that much sitting in his theater room.
    His receiver has a retail of $4,200 and his DVD player has a retail of $6,000. I am just throwing out ballpark figures, but I am pretty sure that is accutrate. I think everyone saw the R series and didn't give credit where credit is due.

Now, it is nice to a new name, and I will look forward to your posts.
    Mike
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Lets see
    actual price of
    R30 towers $399.98
    csi30 center channel $199.00
    r20 surrounds $199.98

saying that this cost $15,000 !!!!! priceless :rolleyes: :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • RuSsMaN
    edited June 2003
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a closeup of the rack, looks cool. ;)
  • redhouse
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Faster, I never said my speakers cost 15.000, I said all the audio cost 15.000 which does include the speakers the polks I have which are only temps sound great and are the only polks I could find in southwest Michigan.belive me or not I got rid of some B&W cdm nt series for these polks because they sounded way better. I know some of you are going to freak when you read that. Also I will try to get some pictures takin this weekend of close up's of my gear I also have 2 other systems in the upper living room and the master bed room but the stuff in my theater room is what I like the best. See if you all agree, systems and the way they sound really is just a matter of perference you hear one thing I hear another.
  • redhouse
    edited June 2003
    Options
    If you look at my setup you will see up front there is not many ways to set up the speakers. Also I said I got advice from a installer, only advice, I did all the work myself. I look forward to any advice, I am going to try the speaker thing moving them apart but to where there is only 81/2 ft of space in where to put them.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,074
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Oh PUKE!
    Typical response...........

redhouse
    The advice that everyone else has pointed out is moving the main speakers wider apart is good advice.If you want to know how far to put them ,then measure the distance from your seating to the screen.This is the distance that they should be in for starters.Sometime sthe y need to be slightly wider.A common mistake made my most is putting the speakers (mains) to close to each other.Very common.......

Without knowing exaclty what you own,advice will stop there for now.Lets get into exaclty what you own and go forward.....

Try moving them out a bit.Reply your findings good or bad.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • faster100
    edited June 2003
    Options
    system showcase guys, he has his gear names in the showcase.. i was just kidding earlier so lighten up everyone, he came on strong at first so it was my nature to play fun for a minute.. no harm... now he seems to want to listen.. great!!

and on with Dan, take it away Dan....
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Redhouse your my new boy - I like your zing!!!!!!!
    I see Sid getting slammed (i mean embarrassedly slammed)allday long even worse than I ever yet he only gets pissed at me - weird :confused:
    I think you may be into me sid - I think you want - I believe you fantasize about me and my HomeTheater. Your not into girls !
    You single me out! You flock to my post. And you dream of a rig like mine!
    I figured it out!!!!!!
    Sick - must have beer and sex with the girlfriend. Dammmit!!!!:eek:
  • VR3
    edited June 2003
    Options
    The only thing id use ur pic for is a dart board lame ****$.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2003
    Options
    Come on - admit it - yall feel better. I just posted and BAM - your all over it. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: