Peerless corrosion??

Options
So I picked up a pair of really clean Monitor 4’s today for a song. They were missing one MW6500 but I had some spare 6502’s that I loaded in them for testing. They sound great, but while cleaning them up I popped the drivers and I find this white stuff on the backs of the tweeters. It’s all over the magnets and backplanes. It was actually coming out around the screw holes as well. Flakes off when scrubbed, doesn’t burn the flesh like battery acid... :D It doesn’t show up anywhere else in the cabinets. Thoughts? What is it?
zfvbje3xopk6.jpeg
zsvrnkuc9phi.jpeg
25t4wxldsxax.jpeg
Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Mortite gone bad.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 435
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Mortite gone bad.
    These have regular gasket material like I’ve seen in other cabinets. Isn’t Moretite usually found squished between the drivers and the MDF? Was it employed in conjunction with the closed cell foam gaskets? This stuff reminds me of battery acid corrosion, minus the burn. Or maybe salt, I didn’t dare taste it though...
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    SnO2
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    Options
    JayMX wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Mortite gone bad.
    These have regular gasket material like I’ve seen in other cabinets. Isn’t Moretite usually found squished between the drivers and the MDF? Was it employed in conjunction with the closed cell foam gaskets? This stuff reminds me of battery acid corrosion, minus the burn. Or maybe salt, I didn’t dare taste it though...

Just a guess. I've seen that multiple times, really not sure what it is.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    SnO2

That very well could be it, makes the most sense.

President of Club Polk

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    I have a Kenwood woofer that has the same thing, but not nearly as bad. I believe it to be oxidation of some kind, but I really do not know.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Looks like it's beenin a very damp location for quite a while.
    Baltimore (or New England) basement?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    They're 4s and are ported, so good gaskets or no, moisture will get in. the front's should clean up nicely. A prescription bottle cap will cover the silk dome perfectly, allowing you to clean off the corrosion, lightly sand and then hit them with some Krylon. For the rear, a soft brass parts brush and some clear lacquer perhaps.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/