Do You Lend Your Physical Media?

Options
2»

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    Options
    I will loan movies out to friends - the ability to discuss a great “off the beaten path” film with a good friend is far more valuable to me than the DVD itself.

Most of my music is FLAC, so....

And for SACD and DVD Audio, most of my friends either can’t play them, or would see no benefit.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I might have that U2 Blu-ray... :)

I bought a bunch (10 or 15 ) of concert Blu-rays at a yard sale for like 2.00 each. That was the sale where the couple holding it only had one SDA-CRS+ speaker. The guy went to his office to get the other one but couldn't find it.. :'( That was soo nice of him to do that for me! ;)B)
    1 SDA-CRS+....10.00.. :/ I still have it too.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,916
    Options
    Since I have all my CD’s backed up, my brother in law asked if he could borrow a box of my CD,s one at a time to load what he doesn’t have, I told him no way is a box of my CD’s leaving the house, and he gave me crap about it all day.. just not going to happen..

Funny thing is I don’t have an issue lending anything to Brian, but I know how he takes care of his stuff..
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Since I have all my CD’s backed up, my brother in law asked if he could borrow a box of my CD,s one at a time to load what he doesn’t have, I told him no way is a box of my CD’s leaving the house, and he gave me crap about it all day.. just not going to happen..

Funny thing is I don’t have an issue lending anything to Brian, but I know how he takes care of his stuff..

That's what I'm saying. I'd borrow you or Brian records or CDs no problem. The coworker that's been bugging me that just got a Crosley, no way. She also gave me crap about it. I gave her two Billy Idol records the next day. They were cheap. She was like "Thanks! I'll bring them back soon." I said no thanks, just keep them. She asked the next day why they were in "flimsy" inner sleeves (MoFi) instead of "sturdy" paper ones. I said you asking that question is exactly why you can just keep them.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited May 2018
    Options
    When cassettes were more mainstream that's what people got they would say, great album, can I borrow it I would say I will make you a tape of it. It's the same with CDs they want to borrow one I burn them a copy, Blu Ray's no way they leave the house. I'm anal that way. If I rent a Blu Ray, I look at it before I leave the store. I won't put one of them filthy rental ones full of food smudges, and what not in my Oppo Player, if it is dirty I have them clean it before leaving.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    edited May 2018
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    When cassettes were more mainstream that's what people got they would say, great album, can I borrow it I would say I will make you a tape of it. It's the same with CDs they want to borrow one I burn them a copy, Blu Ray's no way they leave the house. I'm anal that way. If I rent a Blu Ray, I look at it before I leave the store. I won't put one of them filthy rental ones full of food smudges, and what not in my Oppo Player, if it is dirty I have them clean it before leaving.

What rental store? What planet do u live on??
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Family Video right down the road only Rental chain left as far as I know.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Video
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • stainless0steel2
    stainless0steel2 Posts: 193
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I always make sure things come back to people in the same or in better condition then when I was lent them.

Larry is one of two people I work with that I'll let borrow stuff. Sadly it's really hard to find people to trust to that extent.
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    edited May 2018
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Family Video right down the road only Rental chain left as far as I know.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Video
    We have one of those in my town. When a big movie comes out, they'll order a very large amount of Blu-rays, then a month later after the demand eases up, they'll sell them for $10, then a few weeks later they drop to $7. They actually do a good amount of business, and ironically they rent more DVDs than Blu-rays. A couple years ago, I was walking towards their front door and this beautiful woman drives up and opens her door to get out. I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I had recently bought a new pair of cowboy boots, this may have been the third time I had worn them and I walked right into the side of the sidewalk which was 6 or 8 inches higher than the parking lot. Almost fell flat on my face and completely tore through the skin on one of the boots. I'm sure I looked suave almost face-planting. I was sick over those boots and didn't even get her digits.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Any physical media that is actually worth something, out of print, original recordings etc., heck no you should not. If someone wants to make a copy, you do it, never let the physical media leave your house and in the hands of who knows what.

Physical media easily replaceable and cheap, such as Lady Gaga or Beiber, let that crap fly out the door, even pay people to take it. If it never comes back, you won't be cryin' in your corn flakes over it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I have been lending some classic 70's rock and prog rock CD's to some Gen X and millennial people I know. They just keep it a few days till they copy it to iTunes.

I do it to give them the chance to hear some real music and I have a number of converts. So far the most popular are Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd and Rush.

I have lost a few over the years but luckily they can easily be replaced on Ebay for $5-10. But once you hear some young guy say "Wow, Rush 2112 is an awesome album"...........its worth it.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    I refer "borrowers" to the local library. They are experts at lending entertainment media.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Any physical media that is actually worth something, out of print, original recordings etc., heck no you should not. If someone wants to make a copy, you do it, never let the physical media leave your house and in the hands of who knows what.

Physical media easily replaceable and cheap, such as Lady Gaga or Beiber, let that crap fly out the door, even pay people to take it. If it never comes back, you won't be cryin' in your corn flakes over it.

You sure do eat a lot of corn flakes sir.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk