Do I REALLY want to start the TT road......

Options
I like the idea of Vinyl..........

I do not know that I will like manually having to flip over a record to keep listening to music - no matter how nostalgic of a process that is.

I would have to get a TT, but have a virgin pair of LSiM707's that I am sure would do amazing and the plan would be to run that room off an old B&K AVR307.......

I don't know what I'm after here......maybe sell me on it? talk me out of it?
comment comment comment comment. bitchy.

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    No. You want a nice TT set up you can buy mine at a pretty good price. That's just me, though. Many here love their tables. I just don't think it's for me.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Start with a super cheap used table. Buy a few records.

If you still like it after a year....dive in head first...
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    Go for it. Though I recommend spending enough to get a respectable table. IMO many are chased out of the vinyl world by subpar tables. You don't have to break the bank. Heck, even $300 will get you a decent new table.

I first ventured into vinyl back in the early to mid 2000s, and am so glad I did. It is 90% of what I listen to now. I couldn't even tell you the last time I put a CD in the player. On the rare occasions I don't feel like swapping records I just stream something.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    brettw22 wrote: »
    I like the idea of Vinyl..........

I do not know that I will like manually having to flip over a record to keep listening to music - no matter how nostalgic of a process that is.

I would have to get a TT, but have a virgin pair of LSiM707's that I am sure would do amazing and the plan would be to run that room off an old B&K AVR307.......

I don't know what I'm after here......maybe sell me on it? talk me out of it?

Hi @brettw22 I just went down the rabbit hole after many many years of no vinyl. Picked up a really sweet vintage Micro Seiki TT as a result:
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180385/show-me-your-tts/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    If you need to ask if you should. You probably shouldn't it's not for everyone
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I like my vinyl like many here, but it's an ever growing commitment to get real satisfaction out of it, a whole new level of tinkering with everything. I agree with PMan - deep down, you probably know if all that is for you already.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Brett, how do you listen to music? If you use cd's you have to get up and change those when the music comes to an end. If that doesn't bother you, then you will probably ok with flipping an record.

But the other thing is the quality of the record, are you able to deal with any snap, crackle and pops that might come up, and then there is the whole cleaning it to be considered.

What do you want to do, spend time listening to music or spend time bouncing up and down to keep the music going.

For me, I'm not the least bit into the everything old is new again nostalgia that people seem to want to fall into. I mostly listen all day long to my system playing music on a Samsung phone connected to my system.

Every now and again, I will spend some time with my cd's & sacd's, when I start thinking, I just put that disc in now I got to get up and pull out another one. But at least I don't have to clean them first.

Do they sound great, absolutely, but the jumping up and down to change them grows old pretty fast.

Only you can decide if it is worth the time, effort, cost, not to mention space to collect albums.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I think I'm in vinyl more for all its associated rituals than for the actual listening itself. For all I've put into it, I still don't have a system that offers superior sound quality over what my digital side does. Vinyl listening does, however, add another layer of atmosphere to the listening experience that I just don't get with digital, but that's just me. I think this atmosphere is what I enjoy most about it.

I also like the cleaning, and the process of setting up to listen. The tangibility.

There's also this odd bit about how listening to a record actually seems to make me sit and relax and listen to an entire album. For me, it's too much work and babysitting for background listening, so for me, vinyl sessions require a measure of time and commitment.

I hadn't been collecting all along the years. It was expensive to get into. Actually took me two tries. First time I lasted less than 2 weeks, but I wasn't long in the hobby and didn't know what I was doing. At all. Nothing sucks worse than buying a nice new turntable and getting all set up, and only having two records to play. Most of the music I like is rare on vinyl, so it's that much more expensive to acquire, not to mention hard to find, so I only buy my favorites. Even then only those that fit the vinyl experience; what that is to me.

A lot of newer pressings are plagued with problems. Noise, warps, off center, etc. I'm always amazed at how clean older records look, and at how much better they play. They're quieter, and can clean up beautifully. Even a new Mofi Natalie Merchant Tiger Lily, for example, absolutely sucks for press quality, and it does not clean up to be any better. It's damn near criminal the crap these places are peddling for $45.

If you've already got a bunch of records or have access to a bunch of great local shops for quality used vinyl, you might enjoy it.

I use an AVR 507 with one of my setups. With a nice, relatively modest Vincent PHO-8 phono preamp, it's pleasing to me. Did the 307 have a phono stage? If not, you'll need a phono pre, or a table like the AT LP120 with the phono preamp built in. This'd get you started, but if you're getting into this for the sound quality, you'll likely need to put more into the system. You'll also need some basic cleaning and maintenance supplies and accessories. If you really get into it, you'll be buying antistatic inner sleeves, and nice outer sleeves for the jackets.

Maybe just forget you posted this question.
    kharp voluntarily checks himself into an institution on the weekends because of what vinyl did to him. They won't even let me in anymore.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • AudioRefugee
    AudioRefugee Posts: 23
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Like anything... it’s personal. Your reasons for doing so or not will be different, on some level, from someone else who’s made the same decision as you’ll end up making.

For me, I love vinyl. I love the sound. I love the continuity of an album. It helps me focus on what’s most important, the music and the experience the artist(s) were trying to share. If I’m looking for background noise to keep me occupied while I wrench on a bike, a telescope, spool up some fishing line, or create something in the kitchen I’ll fire up the Jambox and Spotify, but if I really have the time to listen... it’s vinyl every time.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Vinyl is like a marriage, it takes work. But when you get it right, it’s very rewarding. I tried viny twice before I finally dropped some serious coin on my setup, and it sounds very, very good. I’ve had people over who were shocked when they saw me slipping the record. They said they had no idea they were listening to one it sounded so good. And the main comment I get is... where are the clicks and pops? It’s so quiet.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Vinyl is like a woman: when you get a good one there's nothing like it, when you get a bad one there's nothing like it.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    Options
    If you don’t have any records, don’t do it.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    OP hasn't logged on in a month, I'm sure he's already made his choice.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    Options
    And the choice was that's he's done it.
    And been institutionalized.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Options
    I’ve been considering jumping into vinyl, but only because I have hundreds of albums I bought in the 80s and I’d like to digitize them. I agree with most of the posts here. I’m not interested in the cleaning and turning, not to mention the effort to get it to sound as good as my digital music, but I really miss the albums. I bought one of those $100 usb turntables a couple of years ago to digitize them, but it was horrible. It didn’t play a consistent speed so the files are unlistenable. I’ve been doing some reading and it’s overwhelming. Has anyone digitized their albums? I’d welcome any advice.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • msg
    Options
    You're likely to not not beat digital unless you spend a lot of money and time both on cleaning and a proper recording device. I think @nooshinjohn was looking into this. @DarqueKnight digitized some rare albums he has, I think.

Of course, it'll depend on how clean you want your recordings to sound as well as desired quality/resolution.

Are these albums unavailable on cd or streaming music service? Unless you go all in, I'm not sure you'll best a subscription to Tidal or Spotify, or buying cheap used copies on cd to rip to flac.
    I disabled signatures.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited April 2018
    Options
    BC6 wrote: »
    Has anyone digitized their albums? I’d welcome any advice.

Yes. I spent several months digitizing my vinyl collection of around 300 LPs and singles. Here is the thread. Sorry about the missing pictures. They are being held hostage by Photo Bucket.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/174885/the-turntable-retirement-project/p1

All my vinyl was transferred to DSD digital files. I don't miss vinyl one bit. My digital files sound better than the records. My turntable sits in a closet as part of a vinyl digitizing workstation.

l4n0nj3xntub.jpg
    Out of site, out of .....

hl3gxdt2fccy.jpg
    The warm glow of...pacing back and forth from the chair to the turntable to change sides.

cjwgje6aoumb.jpg
    It took a long time...but I finally found a way to quit vinyl.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 478
    Options
    Inexpensive but decent way to get vinyl straight to DSD is to use a Sony PS-HX500. It’s a relative bargain, the only drawback is the cartridge.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte | Roku TV
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | Fire TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Options
    Good advice! Darqueknight I love your thread! I'll look into buying cds and the Sony TT, but I'm liking Darqueknight's route because it involves buying lots of new toys. My wife may disagree however. I'll have to see what I can get away with.

I didn't even consider buying cds because of the expense, but if I'm willing to spend money on a turntable, it might be cheaper to buy cds. Lots to think about. Thanks for the help!
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.