Texas Hurricane

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Man this is a lot of rain. I really wish there was some way to catch it and move it to other parts of the country. Good luck, and if you see an Ark go by then try to catch a ride.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    Wow, that's crazy.....prayers to everyone in that area.

Not to make light of the situation, but it reminded me of this scene.

https://youtu.be/aISDPLtY-28
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I'm sure CA could use the water but it would sure take a lot of energy to get it over the continental divide. What a project that would be.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    Imagine if it was snow?!?!?!
    1" of rain is approximate to 1' of snow.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    After having had app 20" if rain this weekend here is SWFL, I don't want to know what 30" looks like. I am at like 16'6" above sea level and there were times over the weekend where the street in from of my house had a foot of water on it due to how heavy it rained. It's gone now but it got that way like 3 times since friday.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited August 2017
    Options
    We are still not flooded at our house. A few miles east of here in large parts of what is called Cinco Ranch is flooding as of right now. It is worse than what you see on TV. They are having evacuations and there really isn't anywhere for people to go - you can't get out of most neighborhoods and every major road is under water.

I may be full of it, but I estimate that about 1,000,000 homes will take on water. I didn't know it three years ago, but we may have built on the highest spot in the Houston metro area. Definitely in the Katy (West Houston) area.

One aspect I hadn't heard anyone bring up on the news is all the debt servicing (school bonds for those in Rio Linda) that these property values support for all the new schools we are building (due to growth) - when property values go down (they will), tax revenues do to and our ability to re-pay these bonds goes to heck. Our district (home of the most expensive football stadium in the country) is almost $2B in debt.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Just be safe @DollarDave and always err on the side of caution when it comes to your safety.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Glad you're ok Dave.
    I do feel blessed, although it was a scary Saturday night water lipping into the garage we stayed dry.
    Very sad that Dickenson 2miles away is a disaster. A CNN boat finally got to my aunt and uncle yesterday evening, they took 4' in the house.
    The grounds were soaked and water creeks/drainage 1/2 full, then the real rains started 15-25" in just a few hours holy mackerel water rose fast
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    DollarDave wrote: »
    One aspect I hadn't heard anyone bring up on the news is all the debt servicing (school bonds for those in Rio Linda) that these property values support for all the new schools we are building (due to growth) - when property values go down (they will), tax revenues do to and our ability to re-pay these bonds goes to heck. Our district (home of the most expensive football stadium in the country) is almost $2B in debt.

I know football is BIG in Texas and it is in most school districts. BUT that is just crazy. One school district near me had lead drinking fountain and plumbing issues yet in the last two years did a 5 million football field and sports center upgrades. Now they are out begging for money to get all the lead issues done before the 12/31/2017 deadline. One would think it would of been prudent to wrap that up before the football field since January 1 2018 they will start being fined for non compliance for the lead issues.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Sometimes it's a real source of security knowing you're at 4400' elevation.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    Ron, how far down is the water on your block from the high water mark (your garage floor)?

• BlueFox
    Options
    11 trillion gallons of rain so far, with possible 25 trillion by the time it is over.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/harvey-impact-by-the-numbers-trnd/index.html

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Ron, how far down is the water on your block from the high water mark (your garage floor)?

40"
    Bottom of my mail box is 42" and the water was just under it

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    26 cubic MILES of water....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Has anyone heard from PolkieMan (David) yet? I think he may be right in Houston.

I hope he and his family are okay.

...and his SDA-2.3TLs and 1Cs!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    He lives in Pearland not to far from me but hasn't been on the forum since July

• txcoastal1
    Options
    He's out by Cypress or Katy

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    I heard from PolkieMan - he, family, pets and "the big Polks" are just fine! They've had 20" of rain in less than two days where he's at.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    I heard from PolkieMan - he, family, pets and "the big Polks" are just fine! They've had 20" of rain in less than two days where he's at.

Good to hear.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    76urxzti8l9c.png

• txcoastal1
    Options
    $dave
    Did the addicks dump screw you over

• DollarDave
    DollarDave Posts: 2,575
    edited August 2017
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    $dave
    Did the addicks dump screw you over

No, but it did a bunch of my wife's teacher friends. Pretty much all of them live in cinco ranch east of the grand parkway and got water. My wife teaches over there and has, up until now, always wanted to live by her school. Well, not so much anymore.

We will probably end up with some "roommates" for a while, but that's what decent folks do.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Glad to here Dave and good for you
    Glass 1/2 full brotha

Good luck to those who have lost and good will to those that have helped

Please update

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    76urxzti8l9c.png

See, you guys thought I was joking about watching out for sharks and gators. That much water and everything moves with it. Be safe down there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Lots of fake photo's circulating. Not sure that shark is real. I did read about colonies of fire ants literally bonding together to form one gigantic colony that is floating around in the water looking for solid ground. Those will get you if you mess with them. Think "Steven King"

Amazing how nature can be so resilient to changing conditions.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Apparently, the shark is just a recycled Katrina hoax.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-spreading-fake-news-142929070.html

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^LOL
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Fox News remains the most-watched cable news outlet across the United States, according to the latest quarterly ratings this year.

BTW, that shark pic was also reported by CBS News.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    Jeez, friggin' nuts down there. I saw some footage on my way out the door this morning of a few lone motorists on top of their vehicles. I'm bad for driving in heavy rain and minor flooding, but I hope those people had a really good reason for ignoring the warnings and trying to brave to wherever they were trying to get.

Thinking about TX; looks to be a horrible mess, but wishing everyone the best possible outcomes here in this, and at the very least, personal and family safety.
    I disabled signatures.