This place is dead

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,805
I told you this would happen, but you wouldn't listen.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Yep be one less here quickly
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Someone else get banned I take it?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Someone else get banned I take it?

Reported >:)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Where do we go from here?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I told you this would happen, but you wouldn't listen.

Yep
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    How much is there to say about a competently built 14 AWG speaker cable?
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    How much is there to say about a competently built 14 AWG speaker cable?

A lot....if it was the Bose forum.

Interesting enough, much of the action on the forum has been complaints about Polk's wireless products.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Speaking of Bose, I was looking at some 201's for $20.00.
    Couldn't pull the trigger. Anyone have any thoughts?
  • deronb1
    Options

Good garage speaks, i would think.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Agree. I heard some 501's in a junk store up high and
    thought they sounded o.k. for that. Thanks.
  • deronb1
    Options
    I owned a pair of 501s series III years ago. They werent bad really. Powered by a 30 wpc NAD integrated.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,340
    Options
    The social justice hypocritical warrior has had much to do with it. Unreasonable, hypocritical and has not one clue with what he is doing. Not one. Almost got me to leave after 10 years of being a contributing member here with one of his recent extremely unreasonable requests to a fellow member of this forum. Unreasonable would be an understatement.

Vanilla was a big hit. Big.

The severely misguided blaming of the senior members for Polk losing customers was another big hit.

CS recent downfall (improved lately) to sub par service was another hit after decades of a stellar service dept. reputation.

The loss of Polk related documents, schematics and the gold mine of information that once used to be easily found was another big hit.

The fact that the link to the forum is hidden waaaaaay down at the bottom of Polk's main page is another hit.

Add them all together and what you get is a ghost town.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Five years ago, when I joined the Forum, it seemed that there was, coincidentally, a flurry -- if not a barrage -- of activity about modifying SDAs of all types.

Members like @Darqueknight were posting a lot of very good, very interesting, and very successful research and experimentation on ways to bring these classic Polk speakers into the 21st century.

Guys like @Toolfan66 were taking what was learned about upgrading the SDAs and providing members who did not have the skills of others with means, nevertheless, to achieve great improvements in their speakers' performance -- e.g., rings and enclosures for Dreadnoughts.

Similarly, guys like @VR3 and @westmassguy were providing upgrade services with innovative designs for those who wanted to have the benefits of contemporary components, but who did not have the skills or confidence to completely redo their crossovers and internal wiring.

And @helipilotdoug was offering discounts to members on great products at reasonable prices that also helped improve sound quality in their systems.

I, for one, benefitted greatly form all this activity and enjoyed very much all the commentary and reviews that this activity inspired.

Now, I wonder whether this story has run its course. Have we exhausted the number of folks out there who have classic Polk speakers of the late 1980s and 1990s and who are interested in making the considerable investment in time in money to upgrade them, not to mention to take the time to post comments and reviews?

Many have moved on to other speakers -- contemporary "winners," like those @DSkip sells.

How much more research and experimentation can @DarqueKnight do? As I recall, even he sold one of his pairs of SDA SRSs.

Recently, when I had to set up a system in NJ while I underwent extensive procedures to try to beat prostate cancer over a period of more than a year, I did not purchase another set of classic Polks for my condo. Rather, I turned to a pair of Nola speakers, a design (open baffle) and brand in which I have been interested for a few years.

I'm just ruminating. I, too, have noticed that activity on the Forum has declined dramatically -- especially recently. But I'm not sure it is Vanilla.

It may just be the natural rhythm of life, so to speak.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Five years ago, when I joined the Forum, it seemed that there was, coincidentally, a flurry -- if not a barrage -- of activity about modifying SDAs of all types.

Members like @Darqueknight were posting a lot of very good, very interesting, and very successful research and experimentation on ways to bring these classic Polk speakers into the 21st century.

Guys like @Toolfan66 were taking what was learned about upgrading the SDAs and providing members who did not have the skills of others with means, nevertheless, to achieve great improvements in their speakers' performance -- e.g., rings and enclosures for Dreadnoughts.

Similarly, guys like @VR3 and @westmassguy were providing upgrade services with innovative designs for those who wanted to have the benefits of contemporary components, but who did not have the skills or confidence to completely redo their crossovers and internal wiring.

And @helipilotdoug was offering discounts to members on great products at reasonable prices that also helped improve sound quality in their systems.

I, for one, benefitted greatly form all this activity and enjoyed very much all the commentary and reviews that this activity inspired.

Now, I wonder whether this story has run its course. Have we exhausted the number of folks out there who have classic Polk speakers of the late 1980s and 1990s and who are interested in making the considerable investment in time in money to upgrade them, not to mention to take the time to post comments and reviews?

Many have moved on to other speakers -- contemporary "winners," like those @DSkip sells.

How much more research and experimentation can @DarqueKnight do? As I recall, even he sold one of his pairs of SDA SRSs.

Recently, when I had to set up a system in NJ while I underwent extensive procedures to try to beat prostate cancer over a period of more than a year, I did not purchase another set of classic Polks for my condo. Rather, I turned to a pair of Nola speakers, a design (open baffle) and brand in which I have been interested for a few years.

I'm just ruminating. I, too, have noticed that activity on the Forum has declined dramatically -- especially recently. But I'm not sure it is Vanilla.

It may just be the natural rhythm of life, so to speak.

Well stated. Which Nolas ? I had a pair of Alon IVs that had an open baffle mid and tweeter. I now have the Nola Contenders but I'm always looking for used IVs.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    I found a pair of Viper Reference IIIs.

The external crossovers on these had been upgraded by the designer Carl Marchisotto, and I subsequently had him upgrade the tweeters with his latest version.

There is no comparison between the soundstage of my SDA SRS 1.2tls (wider, deeper, higher) and the Vipers, but the vipers surpass the 1.2tls in the clarity and accuracy of rendering the music.

Part of these differences are undoubtedly caused by the rooms in which the systems are set up, as well as differences in components from power conditioners to cables, amps, preamps, DACs, etc.

I'm happy with both systems for where they are.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I felt the winds of change around the time Polk changed hands. It felt like the forum had quickly become an afterthought. Keep in mind, that was my perception of things. It seems the younger generations have a different emphasis on social hiarchy than us older crusters. Hobby's are passion-filled things; this passion comes in all forms and can lead to contentious arguments at times. I get the feeling that the younger generation places little or no value on argument, and see it (mostly) as a negative event. Due to this (IMO), moderators are a little to quick with the "close thread" or ban button, where older generations are OK with spirited debate. The truth is usually found somewhere in the middle. Maybe we should be a little less abrasive, and the youngers can have a little thicker skin.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Winds of change occurred as well as some combustible flatulence.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    Did something happen yesterday that I missed?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    zbu8wokiynf3.jpg
    I like your Tom Green avatar, Mikey.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    Dead is......dead..and door nails forget.....
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Where do we go from here?
    cxtrj12su7ev.jpg

Hey Kerry! - your avatar doesn't totally suck anymore!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    The forum hasn't been what it use to be in a very long time.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I blame technology. :|
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »

Better than that actually -- a pair passed through here some years back. Very good midrange midrange reproduction. Srsly. Not bad overall.

The 301 and the 201 were/are the company's best-sounding efforts to date, IMO.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    jxkrkk2dasqn.gif

... and here I be, still scurrying around in the aftermath, as will be the cockroaches after the nukes fly.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    deronb1 wrote: »

Better than that actually -- a pair passed through here some years back. Very good midrange midrange reproduction. Srsly. Not bad overall.

The 301 and the 201 were/are the company's best-sounding efforts to date, IMO.

I had a pair of 301 years ago that I moved to surrounds after I upgraded to a different speaker. Honestly one of the best surround speakers I've ever had.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited August 2017
    Options
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    edited August 2017
    Options
    If it wasnt for the cute chics in that video-i woulda stopped watchin it in a second. Now. I wish i had'a :)
    Randy/Maine
This discussion has been closed.