Pick me a TV!!!

Options
kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
edited July 2017 in The Clubhouse
We are turning our dining room into a dedicated TV room because we have run out of space, and honestly-our dining room was never used for...dining. So the table and chairs and China that never gets used is going! I'm still thinking this is some cruel dream that my wife actually came up w this idea and I will wake up soon. But I digress....looking for a 50 inch TV that will be around for awhile. I bought a smaller entry level Sony awhile back and the black handling during dark scenes sucks....everything looks smeared and like someone slipped me something in a drink. So....what's a great Sony or Panny you would buy.... Samsung scares me in that many of their products tend to catch fire. Maybe LG if the price is right. Ideas....anyone anyone

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Sony X900E in the 49 inch size. Going to the next size up gives more and slightly better choices like the 55 inch X930E. The 930E has a better processor and contrast because of its backlight system.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Those Somys look nice....may have to go to a 55 because I don't want buyers remorse with this one!
  • kevhed72
    Options
    Is TCL the manufacturer?
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited July 2017
    Options
    TCL manufactures some pretty impressive panels for the price. Go bigger than 50, at least 55".
  • kevhed72
    Options
    It looks like Panny is getting out of the US TV market. One article said sales took a dive after they discontinued their Plasma sales. This supports my theory that the majority of US consumers are uneducated zombies when it comes to electronics. Maybe I'll find one on Ebay
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I bought a 4K UHD 75" Sony, and the picture is awesome. No issues with blacks or anything. I will take stable LED technology over still buggy OLED any day.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_15875XZ9D/Sony-XBR-75Z9D.html?tp=60890
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    It looks like Panny is getting out of the US TV market. One article said sales took a dive after they discontinued their Plasma sales. This supports my theory that the majority of US consumers are uneducated zombies when it comes to electronics. Maybe I'll find one on Ebay

Bingo!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    LG is making some nice TVs lately, and not just OLEDs. Check them out. I also really like Samsung, but wouldn't argue with the Sony fans on here either.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    I'm happy with my XBR Sony 4k, I would recomend a Sony, set. I do like the new LG sets.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    You'll pry my ZT60 from my cold, dead fingers.

That said, I really like the Samsungs in the 8000 series.
    The 9000s don't offer enough "bang for the buck" to justify the price differential. The 7000s are just the opposite. I think an 8000 series is the sweet spot.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    If you can stick it out till after the 1st of the year between CES and Superbowl
    You get a lot more bang for the buck

CES
    is
    JANUARY 9-12, 2018
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Have to go with the Sony 900 series as a first choice.

Second choice, a Vizio M-series and the Oppo 203.

Price wise, not much difference between the two. Picture is a little better on the Sony.

More importantly, you could probably get away with a tv upgrade in a couple of years or so. Sony has started selling OLEDs in the states. Might be worth a look if reliability is good, and motion blur is cured.

Just another thought.
  • kevhed72
    Options
    I'm think Sony 900 E series at this point....if 930 has a better overall pic....I can make the larger size work. For the audio side of things I want a simple
    One piece sound bar. I don't want a sub or surrounds....that's what I have the HT basement rig for. DirecTV box.....ROKU built into the TV....done. Minimal wires and panel mounted on the wall with an adjustable stand. Simple and clean looking.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    Sony Only, everything else today sucks.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    mantis wrote: »

Same camp I'm in. No offence but from what i have seen unless one wants to spend a significant amout more for oled then there are some others in the race.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    mantis wrote: »

Terrible advise.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I picked up a Samsung 55 4k at Costco for 599 just last week. Price was right. The LG had a very washed out look compared to Samsung and Vizio. Saw some TCL but not familiar and wasn't a big enough price difference to get me to jump. TV for me is background noise, so, I'm not too picky, but I am picky. Back in the tube days I was Sony only.

I will say the LG OLED's were impressive as were the Samsung Qled displays they had. Not sure what the "Q" is, but, it gave the OLED a challenge for less.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    I'm not in the market, but if I were I'd pick up the LG OLED C7P. Gorgeous picture, true blacks, and phenomenal refresh rates if you're a gamer. Non-gamers could probably do better for a lower price, but gamers should start with this TV and then go from there.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Options
    The Sony 900e is on sale at Best Buy. I just got it for $1300. The 930 was $1900 I think and I honestly couldn't tell a difference. Seems like it's one of the best tvs you could get without making the jump to oled at $1000 more.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I like my Vizio, but the new ones have that stupid ChromeCast thing.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    How big is this room? I honestly think you should push it even bigger on the size. 60" or even 65." You will get used to it very fast and be glad you went big. Just my $0.02.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have a 75" in a 12' by 11' room. It's like being at the movies.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have 3 Samsung's An older last of the Plasma's and 2 UHD 4k sets all are fine. I also like the
    LG oleds
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    My 60" Samsung is over 3 years old. It looks good still. It has ever taken the abuse from my mother in-law. She will watch for 10 minutes then turn it off. 10 minutes later she will want to watch something and back on it goes for 10 minutes or if she falls asleep. Told her if she breaks the TV she is buying a new one... I do get tempted to unplug it... oops broken.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kevhed72
    Options
    adb3da wrote: »
    How big is this room? I honestly think you should push it even bigger on the size. 60" or even 65." You will get used to it very fast and be glad you went big. Just my $0.02.
    Maybe 12 x 10 ish....I do already have the 80 screen with DLP PJ on the basement, but that gets monopolized by the x box quite a bit.
    Am I the only one who loves a DLP picture....vs. a similar priced LCD panel?

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    The space you have is perfect for a 60-65". I have last year's samsung 60" (un60ku6300) that I watch from 9ft. Perfect size for the tv not to overwhelm the space, but also not so small that the wall looks empty. I updated from a 50" 1080p to 55" samsung 4k, then immediately returned it for a 60" samsung 4k (same model). The upgrade from 50" to 55" didnt seem much at all. Specially when you are watching 4k content, bigger the better.
    Be careful of entry level LGs, they are RGBW panel instead of RGB.
    Most samsungs are RGB panels. However, the mid level samsungs like the ones I have do not have a good view from an angle. So, take that into consideration as well if you have a lot of off axis viewing seating arrangement.

2017 version of the TV I own is mu6300, but doesnt come in 60". I am tempted to upgrade to a 65" when I move to my new place. One thing I like about the new mu6300 series is, all the HDMI ports are 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 whereas, mine has only one port that can achieve it. The arc HDMI is a different HDMI in my case. This is important because, if you are using ARC to send audio and control your receiver, then you can only use one HDMI cable in the updated model instead of running two HDMI cables to have 4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 and arc control at the same time.

I have heard plenty good things about TCL P series as well. When the time comes to buy, (may be in about 6-7 months), I will be closely comparing the TCL P series with samsung mu series.

Not interested in the sony or LG tvs unless they are the top end ones, which is definitely what I am looking for.

Check out rtings.com, they have really good reviews on the TVs.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300