• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Amazon FireTV's and a Roku in town.
    Apple TV and FireTV's at beach.
    FireTV Sticks for porches.
    @vcwatkins How do you compare the Fire TV and Sticks Netflix interface with the one on the Roku? I have a couple Roku's and although they are fast, the interface is a bit dated. I haven't seen the one for Fire TV but read that it's better for listings and not as limited as the Roku.
    Hmm.. it's been a few years since I used the Roku. It's in one of the kids' rooms now and doesn't get much use. I'm not gonna be able to help you there.

I'd say the FireTV's do Netflix well. Never any need to re-enter user or password as is sometimes the case with other apps. Loads and plays very quickly. Keeps track of what each user has been watching and exactly where they left off.

A few months ago I noticed some shows disappearing from the Keep Watching or Recently Watched shows. For example, I would watch Better Call Saul at night in the bedroom, then bring NFLX up in the kitchen the next evening and Saul would not be in those lists. That behavior lasted a couple weeks but hasn't happened since. I believe it was was fixed in an update that came along about that time, but I'm not positive.

When I play most things in the den (our only HT rig), audio is good, depending on the programming. For consistency sake, I don't stream through the Oppo's NFLX, but use a FireTV plugged into the Oppo's HDMI.

At the beach in the den, I use an Apple TV and it seems to perform about the same as the FireTV.

So no complaints whatsoever with the FireTV's running NFLX. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    @Jimbo18

What do you mean by dated? I recently upgraded to Roku 3's from Roku XS's and found the interface to be much snappier, although the same as the XS's.....

It's not the speed that I think is dated, but the layout of the menu options. The limited number of movies that are shown in each category. The only other layouts I have seen have been even worse, but I read that the Fire TV was a much better layout. I was just curious if someone that is familiar with both, felt that that was true.

Since vcwatkins said he had both, I wondered what he thought.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,881
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    The tv only found chrome cast when setting up arc. Im only using one input to the tv. The avr does the switching. So 3 hdmi in the avr and one out to tv. I may just try optical though I thought it didn't do dd+.
    What model TV and AVR? What input is the Chromecast plugged into?

I'll have to check which input.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Apple TV, or my android loaded tv. But Canadian Netflix sucks! I've been using a minix neo x6 android box, loaded with kodi. All the free movies and tv you can handle.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    TV, sound goes through ARC to the receiver.
    Although, my BR player and xbox one has netfilx apps, I only use TV because I can use bluetooth keyboard to search titles. Same goes for youtube and other apps.
    Only if my receiver was HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 and network capable. One less cable to run from Xbox to the tv (my receiver doesnt passthough 4k :( )
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited January 2017
    Options
    in the living room it is from a apple TV (wireless)
    in the bedroom I use a older Roku 2 (wired)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thanks Tony, getting an Oppo was going to be my next purchase some time this year.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Only use built-in apps. The Oppo bdp-103 (living room/HT setup) gets the most use, but on occasion just go with the Samsung SmarTV in the master b/r. Also use a lower-end Samsung BDP in the den when viewing at night.

All 3 are hard-wired with Cat5e, no dropouts and most things are up and running in 6 seconds or less - but that is not with 4K level service so YMMV.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/