Where do you stream Netflix from

Options
I'm streaming it from my brp, but have been thinking to switch to the tv. One less piece of gear which is on.

Comments

• Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    Xbox. Interface works pretty well.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Options
    Xbox, BRp or TV. Depends on which remote is closer.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    In this house? Geez.......phone, Kindle Fire, TV, ROKU and 2 DVR's. Whatever is convenient at the time and whatever keeps the wife and kid happy. In the main LR, we generally use the TV.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Tv
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    This may sound dumb but if I wanted it through the tv and running hdmi do I need to turn on arc? Or do I need to run another hdmi out from tv to receiver?

Thanks
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Tivo
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    My TV. My Sony remote has a Netflix button right on it. I just press it and Netflix comes on.

One caveat, in order to get surround sound, you have to use an Optical connect to your receiver/preamp to get the sound through your speakers.

Unfortunately, when I was trying to move my rack to point at my recliner, I snapped the connector in the tv, so now I'm stuck listening to Netflix through the tv speakers. :s

If anyone knows the right input to use with ICs from the TV's L,&R connectors to my Sunfire prepro, I would appreciate it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,314
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Unfortunately, when I was trying to move my rack to point at my recliner, I snapped the connector in the tv, so now I'm stuck listening to Netflix through the tv speakers. :s

If anyone knows the right input to use with ICs from the TV's L,&R connectors to my Sunfire prepro, I would appreciate it.
    Ouch Cathy. Sorry to hear that. I looked up your TV connections and it looks like you are out of luck unless you have the optical out repaired. Looking at the hookup diagram here >>> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/981588/Sony-Kdl-48r530c.html?page=38#manual you can have the audio out for the headphones go to your receiver (will need an audio jack to IC adapter) but this may introduce a slight time delay in sound to picture. Only way to find out is to try...I am pretty sure you can pick up an adapter at Amazon for a few bucks.

You might possibly use a Blu-Ray player or CVD that has a HDMI out (and is Netflix compatible) and connect it into the Sunfire pre-pro, HDMI out from that to the TV but I believe that you will have to get a HDMI switch box to switch from cable/sat and Sunfire pre-pro to the TV. Some of them do come with a remote and the cost is (or was) around 20 bucks.

Sorry for the off topic post ladies and gentlemen.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Bedroom Sony Google TV, Living room LG Blue ray player, Kitchen Roku stick, HT Oppo 105D, plus various laptops and tablets. I do prefer watching stuff on Blu Rays than streaming from Netflix.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    This may sound dumb but if I wanted it through the tv and running hdmi do I need to turn on arc? Or do I need to run another hdmi out from tv to receiver?

Thanks

@Willow
    Yes you do have to turn on the ARC in order for the sound from the TV to go back out to the receiver. I am streaming the Tune in Radio app right now from my smart tv to my pre/pro.

I use my TiVo to stream Netflix. I just like the interface better than the TV or the Blu-ray player.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Xbox One
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The first device that I had Netflix available through was a Blu-ray player. I swear, it took like five minutes to start up. Since then we've been using a Roku device and all is good.
  • Willow
    Options
    I tried this morning. Couldn't get it to work. The only device the tv found was chrome cast. Guess I'll just leave it through the brdp.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Master bed I stream it from the Last Gen Apple TV which I feel is the very best Interface.
    In my Family Room I have the new Apple TV which has the suck **** interface like everything else has.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Your Moms house.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    Master bed I stream it from the Last Gen Apple TV which I feel is the very best Interface.
    In my Family Room I have the new Apple TV which has the suck **** interface like everything else has.

Yep my old third gen Apple TV was the fastest with an excellent interface. I now use amazon fire tvs on both setups and they are a close second.

My BDP is pretty slow. If you have good wifi I would definitely get a fire stick. Much faster, and very cheap.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Roku

We're giving it a go before possibly cutting the cord.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Your Moms house.

Yous a NASTY muthaf?&(\%****!!! :(;)
    Go on and git!!
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I do prefer watching stuff on Blu Rays than streaming from Netflix.

Bingo. And that's why I have a Blu-ray account with Netflix too.

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Ricardo wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I do prefer watching stuff on Blu Rays than streaming from Netflix.

Bingo. And that's why I have a Blu-ray account with Netflix too.

Yep I get Blu Rays sent through Netflix and Stream its worth the extra couple of bucks to have both services, and the 4k streaming they offer though limited is icing on the cake.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Roku 3 upstairs and a Roku Premiere+ downstairs. I find the picture quality, sound and speed to be better then streaming through my bdp or TV app's.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    I tried this morning. Couldn't get it to work. The only device the tv found was chrome cast. Guess I'll just leave it through the brdp.
    Not sure what you mean by "The only device the tv found was chrome cast." Are you trying to stream from an app on a smart TV?

If so, most TVs have only one of their HDMI inputs labeled ARC. The HDMI out from your AVR must be connected to this input on your TV. You also will have to select TV as your source on the AVR. Optical out of the TV is often an easier option to setup.
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Options
    Chromecast and PS4. I prefer the PS4, seems to be better quality.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Downstairs - Xbox (though the TV has it built in but I don't use)
    Loft - Roku 3 (though I could also use my HTPC if needed)
    Bedroom - Roku 3 (could use TV again lol)

Portables- iPhone 6 Plus, Kindle Fire Kids tablet, Dell Venue tablet, LG Tablet
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Willow
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "The only device the tv found was chrome cast." Are you trying to stream from an app on a smart TV?

If so, most TVs have only one of their HDMI inputs labeled ARC. The HDMI out from your AVR must be connected to this input on your TV. You also will have to select TV as your source on the AVR. Optical out of the TV is often an easier option to setup.

The tv only found chrome cast when setting up arc. Im only using one input to the tv. The avr does the switching. So 3 hdmi in the avr and one out to tv. I may just try optical though I thought it didn't do dd+.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Amazon FireTV's and a Roku in town.
    Apple TV and FireTV's at beach.
    FireTV Sticks for porches.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mdaudioguy
    Options
    The tv only found chrome cast when setting up arc. Im only using one input to the tv. The avr does the switching. So 3 hdmi in the avr and one out to tv. I may just try optical though I thought it didn't do dd+.
    What model TV and AVR? What input is the Chromecast plugged into?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Amazon FireTV's and a Roku in town.
    Apple TV and FireTV's at beach.
    FireTV Sticks for porches.

@vcwatkins How do you compare the Fire TV and Sticks Netflix interface with the one on the Roku? I have a couple Roku's and although they are fast, the interface is a bit dated. I haven't seen the one for Fire TV but read that it's better for listings and not as limited as the Roku.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    @Jimbo18

What do you mean by dated? I recently upgraded to Roku 3's from Roku XS's and found the interface to be much snappier, although the same as the XS's.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Optical doesn't do DD+ or DTS HD Master audio. Your on the right track letting the receiver do the switching.

I just use my TV for Netflix, works fine, fast, and the pic is pretty good.

Cathy,
    Your Sunfire is pretty outdated but you have work arounds. You would need a BDP with analog outputs like an OPPO. If you want the newer surround codecs that is. For Netflix, use the app on a BDP, since your digital out is broken on the tv.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable