SRS 1.2 no bass

Options

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2017
    Options
    If they are wired out of phase, within the same cabinet, there will be virtually no bass at all.
    If a few are wired out of phase in same cabinet, it will drastically reduce bass.

Using the wrong drivers may be a red herring.
    Even with wrong drivers, assuming correct phase, they should be producing bass.
    Agree with F1 the correct drivers need to be used of course.

Waiting on the OP's result of battery test

Good luck!
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    I am suspecting at some point, as Dan was working on his speakers, Dan got sucked into the 1.2TL and is now trapped inside it, becoming one with the speaker.

This may be a case where we have the first human-speaker inter-species mix.

This is one for science to decipher.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Dan is actually in SDA SRS 1.2 purgatory because he hasn't converted them to "TL's" yet, at least as far as we know anyway.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Dan, Dan...Where have you gone Dan ???
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,106
    Options
    VSAT88 wrote: »
    Dan, Dan...Where have you gone Dan ???
    Me thinks he fell into the rabbit hole and lost his internet connection.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Me thinks Dan has some messed up speakers that will need a lot of rehabbing and is thinking twice about spending the coin.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dan98svt
    Options
    Hi all. Thanks for all the replies. Gonna take a look tomorrow at which drivers I replaced with the Studio Version (1B? 1C?) drivers.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    If the left is out of phase with the right, won't the SDA cable cause a noisy issue? Or is that only with grounding issues?
  • dan98svt
    Options
    I'll peek at the inside + - wires from the back to the + - on the crossover and see if that corresponds with the lugs for my speaker wires.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    I'll save the battery test for after I re-re-recheck the wiring again.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,600
    Options
    dan98svt wrote: »
    If the left is out of phase with the right, won't the SDA cable cause a noisy issue? Or is that only with grounding issues?

Grounding
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Sticking and staying. Wanna know what you find out Dan. We are rootin for you !
  • dan98svt
    Options
    I found one of my tweeters out of phase this morning. The one with the two green wires in the left cabinet.
    As for the speakers I replaced with the 1Cs, the outers are 6511s, just like the 1.2s, no issues there. The inner two I replaced are 6510 instead of 6503. I'll pop two new 6503s in there and put it all back together.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    Also, the lugs and diagram on the back of the cabinet match what is inside the cabinet.v2o150eku1sv.jpg
    sga6dzqv2h5a.jpg
  • dan98svt
    Options
    All the inside wires are going to the correct places on the crossover as well.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    Now for the leak test. Before disassembly, I pushed in on the (bassive, lol) woofer and the mids all took their time going back in. I wouldn't say it was 3 seconds, but it was about the same time as my 1Cs.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »

I'm interested in knowing which "good class a/b amplifier" this is.

I know what a hot topic amplifiers can be and that usually starts a flame war (especially my brand, hint, hint), so suffice to say, the amp worked great with other Polks I had attached to it. I like the sound quality and the power is plentiful.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,815
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A couple observations. Flat on a tile floor is a problem, spike those suckers. The banana plugs on your jumpers do not appear to have a tight fit. That speaker cable has to go. Emo amps are inherently bright. Amperes matter more than watts.

Did you push and hold the PR in or did you push and release? If you held it in and got less than 3 seconds, you have air leaks. Check the nuts holding the end caps.

What city are you near? Perhaps one of us can stop by to help.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Where Is the sda cable?
  • F1nut
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Nevermind

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dan98svt
    Options
    I was thinking about spiking them, but I'm renting and I'm not sure how those tiles will look after spikes....
    I held the PR in. I'll check the end caps again. I tightened them up last year when I was in the cabinet.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    I'm currently in Germany, come on by.
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Also, the lugs and diagram on the back of the cabinet match what is inside the cabinet.v2o150eku1sv.jpg
    sga6dzqv2h5a.jpg

That's good. It's the first pair of 1.2's that I've seen that has the wiring correct on the inside of the binding post cup.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • dan98svt
    Options
    The pins on the cable plugs are expanding. They sit in there pretty snug.
  • dan98svt
    Options
    So, after rechecking the end cap nuts, fixing the wires on a tweeter, replacing the two 6510s with 6503s, vacuuming out the cabinet, putting all the stuff back together, no change.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I think you should send them to me ;) really though something is obviously amiss. I did notice on one of your pics you have the copper colored wire - and the silver colored wire+ usually its the other way around just an observation.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• F1nut
    Options
    I was thinking about spiking them, but I'm renting and I'm not sure how those tiles will look after spikes....
    I held the PR in. I'll check the end caps again. I tightened them up last year when I was in the cabinet.

Get the floor discs for the spikes to sit in.

Ok, at less than 3 seconds you definitely have an air leak. Could be a driver gasket or three. Could be the seams in the cabinets. I know it's a PITA, but reseal the seams. Do not use a silicone based product.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I'm currently in Germany, come on by.

I love visiting Germany, but don't expect to be there again for a while.

President of Club Polk

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Have you ever reversed the primary speaker cables on ONE cabinet, and listened for a change?

This thing is just screaming "one channel is out-of-phase with the other channel" to me. It's a common source of "no bass".
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    What happened to the Battery test?