Anyone Want to Sell Me Polk 5jr+ Series 2 in Perfect Shape

Options
Hi guys,
I am having a new central AC installed today, and the installers spilled water all over my 5jrs. I didn't notice until now, and it happened hours ago. The cabinet swelled, joints cracked, and now they look awful. Does anyone have a pair in black or walnut? Let me know your price. I heavily modded the crossovers, and they sound too good to replace with a current model.

Thanks!

Brian

Comments

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Options
    The crossovers should still be in good shape. Hopefully the drivers and PR are too. Take everything apart and let them dry completely. I that case, all you would need are donor cabinets. Since your crossovers should be fine, even the earlier series with the SL2000 would work. Use the tweeters you have, or if they don't work, get new RD-0198's. The installation company or some insurance should cover the replacement cost, even if you have to buy them compete from ebay. If you can get good pics and mention you are mainly concerned about the exterior some ebay "local pickups" may even ship them.
  • decato
    decato Posts: 185
    Options
    Yeah, all the components are ok. I just need cabinets. However, they need to be series 2 cabinets. The dimensions are slightly different, and the series 2 design does have better bass. It's not so easy to find them these days, especially in the darker colors. Maybe someone can build me a pair?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    If you can't get cabinets, let me know what you want for the crossovers, assuming they will fit my speakers. Mine don't have binding posts, they are the push clip type and the opening isn't round but square.
  • decato
    Options
    No, sorry, they are not for sale. I will find a way to get them back up. Besides, these crossovers are the round style with binding posts.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    Okay, good luck.

I haven't seen any photos of the type of crossover in mine. Other than mine, of course
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Are you talking about the newer ones which came with the SL-2500 tweeter?
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Options
    I've got a pair of black 5jr's I'm willing to part with if they will work.
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • decato
    Options
    Thanks, Stogie. Are they in perfect shape? Mine didn't have a scratch. Also, are they Series 2s with the round crossover with the binding posts?
  • ambiophonics
    Options
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • decato
    Options
    Thanks, Ambiophonics, but no, they are not series 2 and they are the wrong color.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I have no idea if these are the type you're looking for?
    http://longisland.craigslist.org/ele/5784647772.html
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • decato
    Options
    Thanks, polhbehr, but no, they are not the correct model.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Brian: I wish I could help, but I'm keeping mine. Shown here so others know what you have and are looking for. Polk Monitor 5 Jr+ Series 2 with the SL-2500 tweeter.
    1oibathwi3q4.jpg
    opcb0afvsdpi.jpg
    c05q3xhe3izx.jpg

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    There is a pair here close to me for sale and are suppose to be in excellent shape.Where are you located?
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • decato
    Options
    Thanks, dkfreebird. I have reached out to the seller.
  • stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    Options
    @decato no they are not series 2
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • decato
    Options
    @stogie Ok, thanks anyway!
  • decato
    Options
    Still looking, the seller in Dallas will not ship...
  • pkquat
    Options
    I never knew or noticed they changed the cabinet for the Series 2 as well. The original is 8.5" deep and the Series 2 is 9.25"
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to refinished, sand them flat and smooth and put a veneer on them.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options
    Can a good cabinetmaker with experience with speakers help you repair your current speakers?
  • decato
    Options
    The front panel swelled a bit too, so it's really not worth trying to repair.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    decato wrote: »
    The front panel swelled a bit too, so it's really not worth trying to repair.
    That's can be refinished too, and if you have them apart you could dynamat the inside and replace the binding posts
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited October 2016
    Options
    The 5jr+ Series II carries the SL-2500. The pair I sold to a member here were wonderful speakers. Crossed at 80hz with a sub it was a toss up between the 5jr+ Series II and our Series II M7's for tv/movies. As a good portion of our listening is music the slight edge went to the 7's in a .1 configuration. In all fairness the 7's have had moderate upgrades. On a level playing field I think either would have served us well.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    My Monitor 5Jr+ series 2. Apparently the unusual thing about mine is the square shaped crossover and spring type connectors.

7e7mhvjwmmjl.jpg

jjt5tdd9bt5a.jpg

And as @littlewoodboats points out, they have the SL2500 tweeter. Nice sounding speakers.

• littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Mine had the same connectors for the speaker wires. I ran mine in the office driven with my Yamaha CA-1000. Wonderful sound I could listen to all day without fatigue.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    My Monitor 5 Jr+ Series 2 w/the SL-2500 tweeters that were posted earlier in this thread, have multi-way binding posts that can accept; bare wire, spades, and banana's. Must be either earlier or later ones. Polk was maybe using up what they had or improving.
    jq687852a2q2.jpg
    3skc342c6chk.jpg

• pkquat
    Options
    zuul wrote: »
    technically... the series 2 is the 3rd series of the 5jr. the first 5jr was one year only 84-85 with a silver coil and one 6.5 woofer @ 4 ohm. the 5jr+ which is what I have was from 86-90 and has a silver coil a 6.5 woofer and 6.5 passive radiator @ 6ohm. the speakers the op is searching out are 1 year only 1990 5jr+ series 2. peerless tweeter 1 6.5 woofer. 1 6.5 passive radiator. I've seen them listed as both 8 and 6 ohm. I believe the first series was ported? the plus and series two plus are sealed.

clear as mud?
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    My Monitor 5Jr+ series 2. Apparently the unusual thing about mine is the square shaped crossover and spring type connectors.

And as @littlewoodboats points out, they have the SL2500 tweeter. Nice sounding speakers.

- Minor thread derailment -
    @zuul The early 5jr and the 5jr+ use the same MW6502. And as pointed out the 5jr+ Series 2 uses the SL2500.

The early monitor 4 used the peerless tweeter and I think the MW6500 in what I call the short cabinet. I am pretty sure there was a version called the Monitor 4.5 around this time that had the same size cabinet as the early 5jr (ported) with a peerless tweeter. I am not positive about this because very early 5jrs came with the SL1000 tweeter according to literature. People may have swapped out the SL1000 for the peerless, or maybe some 5jr's came with peerless for a short while.

The Monitor 4A used the square tweeter in the same / similar short cabinet as the Monitor 4. There was a later Monitor 4.5 as well, as referenced in the schematics. Later 4.5's (after the 4A's) had the taller box and the square tweeter. I think the port size and design was the same as the early 5jr. There was also the VS19 (5jr sized cabinet), and VS12 (M4A sized cabinet) that used the same tweeter, and I am pretty sure MW.

There was a monitor 4 series 2 which used the SL1500 (I think that is what it was called). The tweeter had a bar through the middle of it and came out around the same time as the SL2500. The cabinet appears to be a little bigger than the M4A, and the port is a larger diameter. There was a M4.6(s) ("s" according to the schematics) that used a taller cabinet (5jr sized?), larger port, and the SL2500 tweeter. The schematics however don't mention the SL2500 specifically. Its tough to say whether it is a different part or only a part number change.

@Jimbo18 Very interesting. I had never seen 5jr+ like that either. Do you have a good picture of the tag on the back? These appear to be 5jr+ Series 2 fronts in a VS25 cabinet. As I recall the VS series used those connectors, and came in black. I wonder if the 5jr+ S2 in black always had that style connectors, or if this was one of those "available parts" configurations. It also makes me wonder what crossover is in there.

http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/1985Sales.pdf
    http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/MonitorReferenceManual.pdf
    http://www.polksda.com/pdfs/MonitorReference2.pdf