Best cables short of MIT for LsiM 707

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    Easy, use floor protection discs under the spikes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Easy, use floor protection discs under the spikes.

I use these, with a thin felt pad underneath. The speaker slides super nice on the floor and Adjustments are easy peasy.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    any thoughts on the spikes? don't cost me nothing as a I have some however I think it will make it more difficult to move the speakers around

You shouldn't have to be constantly moving speakers around. Spike them, yes....if you have hardwood floors get the discs that go under the spikes.

The P5 is a nice pre and obviously going to be a step up from a receiver, but that still may not solve your underlying issues.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    any thoughts on the spikes? don't cost me nothing as a I have some however I think it will make it more difficult to move the speakers around

Your spouse may strong disagree about holes in the carpets and it may be costly to repair your carpets if you move. Occasionally you will want too clean and shampoo your carpets and spiking creates some issues.
    It isn't a good idea with a tile or nice hardwood floor either unless you use a suitable spike protector.
    If you are in an apartment, forget it.

Spikes never created any issues for me on carpet, even when cleaning or shampooing. Chances are, your system will outlast the carpet anyway. You may change speakers over time, but your location usually stays the same within the room.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    As I said, ALWAYS spike your speakers.
    As I said, ALWAYS spike your speakers.

"ALWAYS SPIKE YOUR SPEAKERS" damn straight! After fiddling with all kinds of junk this has made the most substantial improvement of all. I thought that the biggest issue was to get them away from the side walls, which made a bit of an improvement. **** with the cable connections did not seem to help. The most substantial improvement has been the spikes. Now the speakers are kind of permanently in the way lol, the only way I am gonna move em by myself is to put the rubber back onto the spikes, position them and set them back on the spikes but damn it hurts crawling around on the floor. I also want to A/B the old cables just to see how they sound now that I am on the spikes. I need a woman with a strong back and good knees. Anyhow The spikes really put a chill on the bottoms, they were muddying everything up. Now the sound is much more acceptable in pure direct. I have a lot more listening to do for a more comprehensive evaluation but I like what I am hearing a lot better so far.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I need a woman with a strong back and good knees.

Sig material there....LOL

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Options
    My 707's are not on carpet they are on hardwood. I never considered removing the rubber feet because of this. My Ushers are on carpet and they came with the little dicks to put under the spikes but of course they were not needed. I am glad that I had them on hand because I doubt I would have sent off for them. I really thought that spikes were not that big of a deal. I was wrong again. The spikes are working so good that I am thinking of putting some on my dishwasher.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    No I would like to know but I don't have a wife to haul them around. Besides I have just about all lsim in this system and they work very well together.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,655
    Options
    and they came with the little dicks

I'm offended...

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I spike my bookies, but it hurts when I move them.
    Anyone try discs with magic sliders on them?
  • tonyb
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Your spouse may strongly disagree about holes in the carpets and it may be costly to repair your carpets if you move. Occasionally you will want to clean and shampoo your carpets and spiking creates some issues.
    It isn't a good idea with a tile or nice hardwood floor either unless you use a suitable spike protector.
    If you are in an apartment, forget it.

Spikes never created any issues for me on carpet, even when cleaning or shampooing. Chances are, your system will outlast the carpet anyway. You may change speakers over time, but your location usually stays the same within the room.

Spikes can cut the carpet, especially a berber, when a speaker is moved.
    It can happen so easily. Anyways, you have a forgiving spouse if she allows her carpets spiked by some speakers that she may dislike to begin with.
    There are alternatives to isolate the speakers. With carpets, I've found that the rubber feet that Polk Audio provides with the LSIs work perfectly fine for me. One can place a small wooden base on top of the carpet and underneath the speakers which helps to protect the base of the speaker from the vacuum cleaner, shoes, etc.

Having a base between the carpet and spikes is an option for sure. I have Berber carpet and never have I ripped the carpet. You tilt the speaker on one spike to move it, then tilt it another way, you never drag it if that's what you mean.

Actually, in that room it is time for new carpet anyway. That room gets the abuse between foot traffic, dogs and grandkids, The speaker location/position has outlasted the carpet, and that was my point.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I am not getting what I like for music. Running Wireworld Solstice right now. I have repositioned my speakers the best that I can and I am not getting closer to what I want. Are cables the cure?

Thanks
    Bruce

Bruce, looks like you have 2 HT setups, one in the parlor and one in the dungeon. What I would do is dedicate one of the rooms as a 2 channel only room. Sale off all the stuff you don't need for 2 channel, saaay the emotivas, csia6, monitor60's, Yamaha, svs sub, sony db and put that money into a good Pre-amp and Amp to drive those Ushers. Either go digital with a nice dac or put a TT in the mix.

just my 2 centavo's.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    Don't people use pennies with one side felt pad the copper side up under the spike?
  • gce
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Don't people use pennies with one side felt pad the copper side up under the spike?

I did, worked great, but I eventually replaced them with the disc's. If you use pennies you should use old ones, that are pure copper. Can't remember the years.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    gce wrote: »

I did, worked great, but I eventually replaced them with the disc's. If you use pennies you should use old ones, that are pure copper. Can't remember the years.

The only problem here is we don't use Pennies in Canada anymore, sure you can use old ones found in a couch.
  • gce
    Options

The only problem here is we don't use Pennies in Canada anymore, sure you can use old ones found in a couch.

As I remember it was very hard to find the pure copper ones. They were all scooped up by the coin collectors! :/

Anaheim Hills CA,

• tonyb
    Options
    We used that idea back in the day before they made nifty discs. Problem was the penny is really too small and the face not flat. A good knock could easily move the speaker off the penny.

A nice wood plinth always worked better.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I used Canadian 1/2 pennies for years but switched
    to more expensive silvers. Better detail at the cost of some warmth.
    n6ymv1ew0cuj.jpg
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Machine Dynamica makes some really cool "penny-like" discs for a cool $300. Guaranteed to bring holistic harmony to your system. :p

Blessed by ancient monks in a Monastery in the farther reaches of the Tibetan Mountains. It also comes with a special prayer chant to keep harmony during the largest of disturbances in the irregular audiophile listening plane in which the gear resides.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I am not getting what I like for music. Running Wireworld Solstice right now. I have repositioned my speakers the best that I can and I am not getting closer to what I want. Are cables the cure?

Thanks
    Bruce

Bruce, looks like you have 2 HT setups, one in the parlor and one in the dungeon. What I would do is dedicate one of the rooms as a 2 channel only room. Sale off all the stuff you don't need for 2 channel, saaay the emotivas, csia6, monitor60's, Yamaha, svs sub, sony db and put that money into a good Pre-amp and Amp to drive those Ushers. Either go digital with a nice dac or put a TT in the mix.

just my 2 centavo's.

^^^^^This consolidate build a 2 channel system for the Ushers. I'd go with a tube integrated like Jolida 801BRC
    http://www.jolida.com/product/jd-801-brc
    Call this guy
    Underwood Hifi Inc.
    www.underwoodhifi.com
    Walter Liederman
    770-667-5633
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Having a base between the carpet and spikes is an option for sure.

An extremely poor one at that. Rubber feet and a board on top of carpet does the exact opposite of what is desired.

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt
    Options

Thanks
    Bruce

just my 2 centavo's.

The dungeon (bedroom) HT system was just spare parts until I got the Ushers. Now I like it better than the Main system for 2 channel listening. I am not all too anxious to change anything on it right now. The HT aspect is rarely used. The issue arose because I like the Ushers so much better that I spend too much time listening in the bedroom now. I never leave the house as it is and it's getting so that I don't want to leave the bedroom. Not good since I am sure that I will be in a box soon enough. I am liking the main rig much more for 2 channel now that I put the 707's on the spikes but there is still room for improvement. Because of space constraints and that I like listening to multi channel on the main system the SACD player and the TT have to stay with it.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I would like to try a Parasound P5 or some other pre amp with an HT bypass on the main system and see what it does for 2 channel.
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,524
    Options
    What I did for a friend was this for his hardwood floors and ZU speakers. I used a piece of MDF slightly larger than the speaker base. Drilled 4 holes the same dimensions as the speaker spikes and inserted nylon bushings. This allowed him to still move the speakers without the hassle of the 4 small discs. Sorry I no longer have any pictures. H_ll I even made the spikes.

Something similar the this but slightly smaller
    77815d88-c337-4643-91bb-732a79bc716f_400.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bolt-1-4-in-x-1-4-in-Nylon-Flange-Bearing-60078/203537376?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25H-Hardware|&gclid=CMSpjcPuhsoCFcwYHwodGucIPw&gclsrc=aw.ds

As Always YMMV

Bill

lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • afterburnt
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Can you put felt on them so they will slide or does that defeat the purpose?
    Post edited by afterburnt on
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Skips second floor does a suck out on sealed speakers and loose bass with ported speakers that granite tightened everything up
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• txcoastal1
    Options
    This is one of my stands and Ushers on hardwoods with spikes. The felt makes it easy to slide and position speakers and get to the back of my gear. On the stand I bought washer blanks, primered&painted them brown and drilled dimples in the center.
    b8lelenp1zzg.jpg
    o4u9t7owbwey.jpg
    pfdsbkaacsm6.jpg
    y73z0jjf4c5a.jpg
    6y2wxhietvex.jpg

• afterburnt
    Options
    I am sure that I don't understand but doesn't the felt decouple them?
  • F1nut
    Options
    As Bruce just discovered, coupling speakers to the floor via spikes results in superior sound verses his previously decoupled speakers.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    As Bruce just discovered, coupling speakers to the floor via spikes results in superior sound verses his previously decoupled speakers.

Remind me to spike my SDAs one of these days.

Spike your SDAs one of these days.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk