Where to purchase surrounds for 1.2tl mid bass drivers?

Options

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,626
    Options
    Tweeter is toast. By chance did you put that RTV on the inside also?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,851
    Options
    Making good progress I see.

The voice coils under the dome are cooked likely due to ferro fluid failure as by now it has turned to sludge. The RD0198-1 is a better tweeter anyway.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• zumbini
    zumbini Posts: 654
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    By chance did you put that RTV on the inside also?

No, I put the RTV on the outside only. 2 reasons: 1. The basket pillars are really wide making rear access difficult for a guy like me with ham hands and stone fingers. 2. I was trying to keep the RTV layer as thin as possible to minimize it's effect on surround compliance.

Main System
    Carver Gear: C-11 (refit & modded, w/balanced outs), M-500 (refit), M-500t(x2) (refit), M-1.0t (refit & upgraded), SD/A 490t, TX-11b
    Other Electronics: Behringer CX3400, Behringer FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R-II, Nikko NPS-1, Teac C-3RX, Technics SL-D303
    Speakers: Legacy Audio Custom Super Satellites (new drivers & bi-ampable XOs), Legacy Audio Custom Subwoofers

Carver Office System: C-2 (refit & modded, w/balanced outs), DTL-50, M-200t, TX-2, Musical Fidelity X-10D, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/4 DA-10 satellites)

Workshop System: Carver MXR-130 receiver, Carver DTL-50 CDP, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/2 DA-10 satellites)

Son's System: Carver CT-7, Carver DTL-200MK2, Carver M-1.5t (refit), Hitachi PS-38 (TT), Polk SDA-SRS 1.2tl, Klipsch KG2.5, PSB Century Subsonic 2i powered sub

Not In Use or Need Repair: Denon DCM-35 (CDC), Teac X10R (RTR), Technics SL-1200MK1 (TT), Yamaha CDX-820 (CDP)
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options

I believe what pitdogg2 was concerned about, is the off-gas RTV Silicone releases as it cures. It's very acidic, and will attack any exposed metal inside the cabinet. RTV should never be used internally in a speaker cabinet.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Options

I believe what pitdogg2 was concerned about, is the off-gas RTV Silicone releases as it cures. It's very acidic, and will attack any exposed metal inside the cabinet. RTV should never be used internally in a speaker cabinet.

That was a concern BUT I'm thinking that it could work better on both sides due to internal cabinet pressures pushing out. Yes if I was to put it on the inside I would make sure to cure it outside the cabinet. Not ideal but completely understand why op did it.
  • zumbini
    Options
    I don't think the product I used to seal the rips and tears would be an issue even if I had put it on the inside and immediately reinstalled the drivers. Permatex Ultra Black RTV Gasket Maker is intended for contact with metal. I've used it to seal butyl rubber surrounds in the past. As for longevity at least one of the drivers I used it in is still air tight after 10 years of regular use in a PA sound application. I intend to replace these drivers long before that.

Allow me rephrase my earlier question. Is there a reason that the same tweeters - T2 and T3 - failed on both speakers?
    Main System
    Carver Gear: C-11 (refit & modded, w/balanced outs), M-500 (refit), M-500t(x2) (refit), M-1.0t (refit & upgraded), SD/A 490t, TX-11b
    Other Electronics: Behringer CX3400, Behringer FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R-II, Nikko NPS-1, Teac C-3RX, Technics SL-D303
    Speakers: Legacy Audio Custom Super Satellites (new drivers & bi-ampable XOs), Legacy Audio Custom Subwoofers

Carver Office System: C-2 (refit & modded, w/balanced outs), DTL-50, M-200t, TX-2, Musical Fidelity X-10D, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/4 DA-10 satellites)

Workshop System: Carver MXR-130 receiver, Carver DTL-50 CDP, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/2 DA-10 satellites)

Son's System: Carver CT-7, Carver DTL-200MK2, Carver M-1.5t (refit), Hitachi PS-38 (TT), Polk SDA-SRS 1.2tl, Klipsch KG2.5, PSB Century Subsonic 2i powered sub

Not In Use or Need Repair: Denon DCM-35 (CDC), Teac X10R (RTR), Technics SL-1200MK1 (TT), Yamaha CDX-820 (CDP)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    zumbini wrote: »
    Allow me rephrase my earlier question. Is there a reason that the same tweeters - T2 and T3 - failed on both speakers?

Hard to say without knowing the history of the speaker and how it was used. Could simply be age as already suggested, abuse from being over driven, etc.

IMHO, I think what you'll find is eventually you'll be replacing every part of the speakers and that's gonna cost some coin. If you do it slowly over some time the hit won't be as bad.....but interest may fade too over time. Good luck to you and enjoy them.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zumbini
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Hard to say without knowing the history of the speaker and how it was used. Could simply be age as already suggested, abuse from being over driven, etc.

IMHO, I think what you'll find is eventually you'll be replacing every part of the speakers and that's gonna cost some coin. If you do it slowly over some time the hit won't be as bad.....but interest may fade too over time. Good luck to you and enjoy them.

The wife of a friend was the original owner. The speakers hadn't been used regularly in about 10 years and they were never driven hard. Most of the damage (grill cloth, surrounds) was done by their cats who loved to perch atop them. The couple had retired and was moving into a smaller home. They gave them to me and I'm restoring them for 19 y/o son who is a rising sophmore at MIT. (He also is a talented drummer who inherited my love of music and electronics.) I hope to have them back to original condition (or better) by the time he graduates.
    Main System

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    They could have been under driven too, not enough power is about as bad as too much.....at higher volumes anyway.

Anyway, nice project to do with the son, hope he'll appreciate them when they are done. Keep us posted on your progress. Cheers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • zumbini
    Options
    They could have been under driven too, not enough power is about as bad as too much.....at higher volumes anyway.
    Ain't that the truth. Clipping an amp will fry a tweeter faster than you can shake a stick at it.
    Anyway, nice project to do with the son, hope he'll appreciate them when they are done. Keep us posted on your progress. Cheers.
    Zack and I have done quite a few projects together. In this case his contribution was to he help me load them in the truck, cart them home from DC, and haul them up to his 2nd floor bedroom. He only had a couple of days to enjoy them before he headed off to school but he was impressed despite the issues.

I'm already finished patching the mids and sealing the cabinets, and I'll have the cosmetic issues resolved in a week or two. After that I'll refurbish the crossovers and replace the dead tweeters. Of course I have plenty of my own projects to work on so I figure by the time I get around to upgrading the mids Zack will have graduated. B)

Ciao for now!
    Main System

• zumbini
    Options
    As far back as I can remember I had more to do than I had time to do it with. Didn't change much until I retired. Now I have plenty of time but perhaps not so many years so this advice from Pablo Picasso rings true: “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.”.
    Main System

• pitdogg2
    Options
    Ain't that the truth. Clipping an amp will fry a tweeter faster than you can shake a stick at it.

WOW you get it so many that fly by here do not. I couldn't count the amount of time we have tried to convey that message only to get " I still had 1/2 of the dial to go no way was I clipping"....
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options

WOW you get it so many that fly by here do not. I couldn't count the amount of time we have tried to convey that message only to get " I still had 1/2 of the dial to go no way was I clipping"....

Dom ain't no spring chicken and has been around the block three or four times lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • zumbini
    Options

Dom ain't no spring chicken and has been around the block three or four times lol....

Good thing I resemble that or I might take your ageist remarks poorly :D
    Main System

• EndersShadow
    Options

Lol... Hey I never said just HOW old you are... Lol...

And maybe the around the block was about your immense knowledge and not age :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • zumbini
    Options

Lol... Hey I never said just HOW old you are... Lol...

And maybe the around the block was about your immense knowledge and not age :smile:

Now you're just brown-nosing. Please continue. B)

Main System

• zumbini
    Options
    I finished recovering the side panels for the right speaker yesterday. The wood accent panels made it tricky to get a smooth, flat edge but I'm pretty happy with the result.

side panels before:
    Polk%20SDA-SRS%201.2tl%20SANY5158%20side%20panels%20before%20recovering.jpg

side panels after:
    Polk%20SDA-SRS%201.2tl%20SANY5167%20side%20panels%20being%20recovered.jpg

finished speaker:
    Polk%20SDA-SRS%201.2tl%20SANY5169%20full%20speaker%20after%20recovering.jpg
    Main System

• pitdogg2
    Options
    looking gooood
  • zumbini
    Options
    Thanks pitdogg2.

I should have the left speaker recovered by the weekend. Then I'll start looking at repairing, replacing or upgrading the 4 dead tweeters (T2 and T3 on both speakers).
    Main System

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    I like your project, and I like your writing style/humor. Please stick around the forum even after your repairs are complete!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • zumbini
    Options
    Well thanks agfrost. Seems like a friendly (and knowledgeable) group of people, and a lot of my Carver Site friends are here, so I might just do that.
    Main System

• zumbini
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Anyone want do a go fund me page to help out in the restoration?

John, nice idea, and I'm sure some Polkies around here might have a driver or two they could help out with too...possibly.

Does anyone out there have any SL3000's they'd be willing to donate? 4 of Zack's are dead and we'd really like to hear what the 1.2tl's sound like before we start upgrading. I'm willing to do craftwork in trade. I can buff out scratches on your turntable dust cover, repaint your chassis cover, replace your power cord or upgrade it to IEC. Here's a few photos of some of my recent projects:

various amp and preamp cover restorations:
    Martin1970s%20C-1%20SANY4022%20Cover%20Old%20vs%20New.jpg

PM-1200%2001350%20SANY2546%20Cover%20Restoration%20Before%20vs%20After.jpg

PM-1200%20Restoration%20Front%20amp%20Top%20View%20ORIGINAL%20vs%20RESTORED.jpg

turntable restoration (damaged during shipping):
    Hitachi%20PS-38%20Repair%20amp%20Restoration%20-%20BEFORE%20amp%20AFTER.jpg

PA rack patch panel and wiring harness:
    1U%20Patch%20Panel%20Build%20110615%20SANY2750%20Wiring%20Harness.jpg

IEC socket template:
    IEC%20socket%20templates%20SANY3349.jpg

IEC socket and balanced connector installations:
    C-11%20Balanced%20Socket%20Install%20110618%20SANY2853%20before%20vs%20after.jpg

Carver%20C-2%20Rear%20Panel%20SANY3188%20IEC%20and%20balanced%20outputs%20-%20BEFORE%20vs%20AFTER.jpg

remote 9 pin socket for a Marshall guitar amp head for easy tube rolling:
    Remote%209-pin%20Tube%20Socket%20for%20Marshall%20Valvestate%208100%20110928%20SANY3271.jpg
    Remote%209-pin%20Tube%20Socket%20for%20Marshall%20Valvestate%208100%20110929%20SANY3273.jpg

AC cord cable tray installation:
    Equipment%20Rack%20Rear%20View%20121107%20SANY4180.jpg
    Main System

• zumbini
    Options
    I finished recovering the grills and side panels over the weekend. Now I need to get them to sound as good as they look....

Zacks%20bedroom%20system%20with%20Polk%20SDA%201.2tl%20speakers%20150824%20SANY5201%20after%20recovering.jpg
    Main System

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Hey Dom, how are things going?? Time for an update.
    Best of luck to you.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • zumbini
    Options
    Thanks Billy. I've been checking out the crossovers to determine if it's OK to install your tweeters. Had a few questions about what I found so I started a new thread which is "awaiting moderation". Either I'm on probation for posting that trade offer in the FS/WTB forum or maybe it's because there's a link in it (back to this thread). Either way I'll post a link to the new thread here once it has been approved.
    Main System

• EndersShadow
    Options
    Thanks Billy. I've been checking out the crossovers to determine if it's OK to install your tweeters. Had a few questions about what I found so I started a new thread which is "awaiting moderation". Either I'm on probation for posting that trade offer in the FS/WTB forum or maybe it's because there's a link in it (back to this thread). Either way I'll post a link to the new thread here once it has been approved.

It's not that it's the forum software being dumb... It thinks your a spammer likely for posting links or videos... I had it happen when I tried to post my Carver M1.0t MKII here.

Your not in trouble lol....
  • zumbini
    Options
    I saved a draft of my new thread. Should I delete the link and try posting it again?
    Main System

• zumbini
    Options
    I don't want to bother anyone. If it hasn't been approved by the AM I'll repost without the link.
    Main System

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I check the Spam Queue section three times a day and "release" all the trapped non-spam discussions and deal with all the real spam that gets collected.
  • zumbini
    Options
    Thanks Ken.

Here's the link to the new thread ==> http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2164122#Comment_2164122
    Main System