Monster is at it again!

Options
cfrizz
cfrizz Posts: 13,415
edited May 2008 in The Clubhouse
They have issued a cease & desist letter to Blue Jeans Cable.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43065

They may very well have tangled with the wrong guy though. Since Kurt of BJC is a former lawyer who specialized in this kind of issue & has friends who still work in this area!

So spread the word that Monster is at it again with their bullying tactics! Can Signal Cable be next on the list?
Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
Post edited by cfrizz on

Comments

• toddco
    toddco Posts: 147
    edited April 2008
    Options
    RTi12's:D
    CSi5
    FXi5
    CSi3
    PB12+2 :cool:
    Sony STR-DA2ES
    Outlaw M200 x3
    SMS 1
    Signal Ultra
    Sig.2 Inters.
    PS 3
    Xbox360 Elite
    PHILLIPS 42" PLAS. 1080i
    Monster 5100 SS
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    Options
    interesting.. but i'm sure Monster can afford some pretty decent lawyers themselves.. i hope he wins though.. that would be a good smack down for Monster cable.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited April 2008
    Options
    i love my monster cables. nice and compact and a great price frrom ebay.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Monster cable are nice looking, slick packaged, and priced at a point that makes me gasp. They have their marketing down as good as Bose does.

It'll be easy to boycott them now, since I'd never buy their products anywy.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Here's a statement I lifted from Blue Jeans Cable that offers the facts --

Howdy, all; Kurt from Blue Jeans Cable here.

First, my thanks for all the supportive comments. If you want to lend further support to the cause, the best thing you can do for us is to spread the word by talking about this online; make sure that people here and elsewhere know what's going on. As for the offer of financial donations: that's very, very kind, but we're going to be just fine here, and we're happy to carry on the fight on our own dime.

Second, I should point out just a couple of quibble-sized issues with the report. Monster hasn't actually sued us yet, nor is there a cease-and-desist order; rather, there's simply a cease-and-desist letter, which carries no legal effect in and of itself. If this does escalate to litigation, I will let everyone know; heck, I'll probably start a blog.

Third, let me tell you a bit about myself, since the fact that I'm a retired lawyer has already come up. I spent nineteen years in the practice of law, first in Philadelphia and later Seattle, after attending University of Pennsylvania Law School (class of '85). My entire practice was in litigation, most of that in federal courts, involving complex legal issues and large-damage cases (occasionally, but not often, involving intellectual-property issues). My roommate from second year is a highly-regarded intellectual property litigator, and other friends of mine include IP counsel to large technology firms; so when I have a patent or a trademark question, you can bet I know who to call. And litigation doesn't scare me; heck, I spent a couple of decades doing litigation full time.

Unless Monster is hiding the ball somewhere, the patent and trademark claims they're advancing here are flat-out frivolous. The lack of resemblance between their designs and the connectors we sell is obvious, and this looks like their typical m.o. -- go shake down the little guys and try to scare them into signing burdensome licensing agreements. Still, to make sure, I'm preparing a letter to them to request further information in support of their claims; if they're not able to produce that information and show how it relates to their claims, chances are this is a bluff and no suit is coming. However, I have met some dumb, dumb lawyers over the years, so one can never be sure a suit won't be filed just because the claims are frivolous. Suffice it to say that if they do file it, I am not one of those who "suffers fools gladly" and there is no great likelihood of my settling it; I will take them all the way to judgment. The result would likely be a decision that would put an end to their efforts to attach an overly-broad scope to their various design patents and trademark registrations.

As a rule, what happens when Monster does this sort of thing is that it gets away with it. People are terrified of litigation, especially litigation against large entities with lots of money, and that allows bullies to get away with ridiculous things. I am calm under fire, and there is nothing I hate worse than a bully. As for their size: the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Money can buy lawyers, but it can't buy merits for a meritless case.

Again, thanks for all the supportive posts. I will make sure everyone is kept abreast of developments.

Kurt
    Blue Jeans Cable
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I gotta say, though, this is great publicity for BJC. Kurt is probably laughing all the way to the bank.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I really wish monster would just die. What a bunch of jackasses.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Looks like my next cable order will be from BJC. Talk about a backfire on Monster's part; I wonder how many other consumers will voice their support for the little guy with their hard earned dollars...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I doubt this will have any impact on them at all. Think about it, who is buying there cables? I would guess 99% of their sales are to people who would never visit a forum like this, and will never hear of this lawsuit.

On the plus side it is getting Tartan's name out there.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I'd like to know what monster thinks Blue Jeans is using from them?? What is copied?? I don't see it. I have Installed Monster cable for many years(not anymore) and I don't see what they are talking about.

I don't get it.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Thanks for posting that Early B. Always best to get it from the source.

I must admit that I would love to see Monster push this, and then get slapped down. It would be great if Kurt could once-and-for-all put an end to their constant BS.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Sounds like a page straight from Micro$oft.

I'll see if Kurt would like some support thru the e-zine.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    Options
    markmarc wrote: »
    I'll see if Kurt would like some support thru the e-zine.

Great idea.

The audiophile consumer shops in a niche market. We're a small band of brothers (and a few sisters), so we have to "stick it to the man" every time he tries to pounce on the little guys.

'Eff 'em!

• Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Makes ya wonder how much profit Monster has to price into their product to cover all the litigation they have constantly going on. If they stopped all of their **** tactics, the could probably reduce their product pricing by atleast 25%.

Pieces of ****!
    No excuses!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,342
    edited April 2008
    Options
    It's not like Monster has a superior product they need to protect.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2008
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    It's not like Monster has a superior product they need to protect.

True, but what they do have is a signifigant marketshare they are trying to expand and conquer. If they might be able to get rid of a competitor, WTH, give it a shot.

With their profit margins, they need something to write off...

F#ck 'em.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    Options
    No big loss on either side in my opinion.
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited April 2008
    Options
    This is the same crap M* has been doing for years. Its sad to think how many companies are paying them BS licensing fees.
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Maybe we could some how arrange for Monster and Bose to sue each other into oblivion ...
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2008
    Options
    PolkThug wrote: »
    This is the same crap M* has been doing for years. Its sad to think how many companies are paying them BS licensing fees.

I wish I had thought of that really...;)
  • garnier
    garnier Posts: 116
    edited April 2008
    Options
    I see. So Monster Cables are way too expensive for their quality, or is it that their products are not as good compared to other brand products of similar price range? Similar questions, but some feedbacks please! Thank you! :)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    Options
    You can get just as good quality or better at lower prices than Monster.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited April 2008
    Options
    This is awesome. Thanks for posting this. I'm bringing it to my IP class today.
  • Early B.
    edited April 2008
    Options
    garnier wrote: »
    I see. So Monster Cables are way too expensive for their quality, or is it that their products are not as good compared to other brand products of similar price range? Similar questions, but some feedbacks please! Thank you! :)

Yeah, and their business practices are questionable, so I don't support or recommend them for that reason.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited April 2008
    Options
    killerb wrote: »
    i love my monster cables. nice and compact and a great price frrom ebay.

Time to try some real cables. Monster is mediocre at best. Their bullying tactics and attitude in general (as a company) are deplorable.

I say at the next PF we have a Monster burning demonstration and post it on YouTube.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Noel Lee is an A$$ Clown.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited April 2008
    Options
    venomclan wrote: »
    Noel Lee is an A$$ Clown.

I think I'll pay to make some "Monster Cable Sucks" stickers for Cedia '08 and drop them everywhere like Manley's "Tubes Rule".
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited April 2008
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I think I'll pay to make some "Monster Cable Sucks" stickers for Cedia '08 and drop them everywhere like Manley's "Tubes Rule".

Don't be afraid to ask for donations to cover your cost!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited April 2008
    Options
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Awesome idea!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2008
    Options
    Maybe we could some how arrange for Monster and Bose to sue each other into oblivion ...

Best idea I'll hear today. :D