FS:ADCOM GFA-565 Monoblock Amplifiers

Options
dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited August 2006 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
ADCOM GFA-565 Monoblock Amplifiers - SOLD - 9/10

These define manly amplifiers and would be quite possibly, the last ones you'll need for a very long time. I would keep them, but the pile of equipment here is getting ridiculous. They are very similar in specifications to my CTC BBQ, albeit in monoblock form.

I cannot include shipping for these as they are simply too much for me to eat personally, so work with me. The pictures will follow, as I have to dig them out and get them shined up for the press release. Here are some spec's:

Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz, 0.005% IM Distortion (SMPTE), 1W to 300W into 8 ohms, 0.005% Distortion.

-More than 300 Watts output into an 8 ohm load.
-The ability to drive low impedence loads.
-Instantaneous Distortion Alert which indicates when distortion products are above the 1% level.

I'm going off of memory for the power figures...so they are roughly accurate if not better than my memory. The figures are per monoblock, just for clarification.

300x1@8
450x1@4
850x1@2

I think DarqueKnight owns a pair of these for his SVS subwoofers...or used to at least, so please correct me if I'm wrong Raife.

Either way, these are MONSTERS and you better have some space available as they are real estate eaters....as should any hardcore amplifier. They also generate some heat, so if you have a cold room, no worries, they will warm it up all year long.

Adcom also produced a Limited Edition GFA-585, at some point, which was a stereo version of these same two monoblocks...talk about hardcore. That's just FYI.

Stereophile reviewed these in two issues, XIV 4 & 6...but they are sold out thru SP Back Issue Online.

If anyone has these issues, it would be a neat addition to the amplifiers if you're not using them any longer. I'll pay for them in order to pass them along to the new owner, just let me know via PM.

Adcom GFA-565 Owners Manual

Includes: Original boxes, original packaging and original owners manuals.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,105
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Cream of the crop Adcom. Brute force and delicate all at the same time. My bro has a pristine GFA-585 and it is an excellent sounding extremely capable amp. He and I both want to own a pair of 565's, but don't have the space available. Whoever gets these will have to get naked and touch themselves....ala...Doro. They are that good!!! :p

H9

P.s. No pics please (of the touching) :D
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    H9 - Thanks for the extra cool info and no worries, I keep those photos private...truck stops only.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Ahhhh.... the black beasts. Doro is wise to not pay for shipping 'cause those **** are heavy. I had these driving the 25's, a 585 on the surrounds and a 555 biamping the center... still hate that I sold them when I went to the Brystons.

One thing I might add is that they've got dual binding posts, so if you're into biwiring, you can easily mix & match wires for the high's & lows.

I think I have some dirty photos of mine on the work computer. Will post if I can find 'em.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    I know this is Mark's thread and he probably doesn't need any help.....but I couldn't resist.

H9

EDIT: It appears these photo's are of modded/ slightly altered or repaired GFA 565's. In the spirit of keeping this thread on the up and up I removed my naked (the amp, not me) photo's. Mark's look cleaner inside than these and now I can't remember where I got these photo's from.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Awesome amps. I still have mine.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited July 2006
    Options
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Here's some more data that I found in my files via an original document from "Audio" magazine.

Trivia: When did this publication, Audio magazine, cease? You old timers may know this easily, as it was one of the better magazines at that time.

Anyways, here's the extra data:

1.25-kVa Toroid Transformer
    70,000uF Capacitance

Just as a side note, these figures are in the Parasound JC-1 Monoblock arena, 14 years its senior @ 1.2-kVa & 100,000uF.

Signal to Noise Ratio - >106dB
    Input Impedence - 50k(Unbalanced)
    Input Sensitivity - 130mV @ 1w, 2.15V @ Full Rated Power
    Dynamic Headroom @ 4ohm - 1.6dB
    Damping Factor @ 8ohm - >1000
    Weight - 45lbs.
    Dimensions - 17 x 8 1/4 x 11 1/2

Here are some comments from the article:

"Many manufacturers claim high-current capability for their amps; however, the GFA-565s deliver the goods even into 1-ohm loads. Equally important, they meet the real world test: They easily cope with even the most demanding Apogee, Infinity, Spendor and Thiel speakers."

"High powered amps like the GFA-565 can overdrive many speakers."

I'll photocopy this review and include it with the unit. There is an additional review for the matching pre-amp, GFP-565, and that will be included as well.

When you look at the internal pictures...envision 16oz. beer cans as the two Blue Caps in the pictures. They are just shy of the height, but pretty close. The toroid, for comparison, is as large as the JC1 Monoblock, just not "encapsulated", which means it has an aluminum cover. The amplifiers are taller than my CTC BBQ(7 3/4 vs 8 1/4) and combined, as deep as the same amp at 22"...that's hardcore in my book.

Another cool thought is that the Adcom + BBQ picture is 2 horsepower worth of amp @ 4ohm...as in 746 watts = 1 Horsepower.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    UNC - It's funny but did you realize that you are the last person to comment on these particular amps on Audio Review? I was floating around and noticed that, kinda neat.

Heiney & DK - Thanks for the comments...and H9 for the pre-sale pics :)
  • heiney9
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    UNC - It's funny but did you realize that you are the last person to comment on these particular amps on Audio Review? I was floating around and noticed that, kinda neat.

Heiney & DK - Thanks for the comments...and H9 for the pre-sale pics :)

No Problem, check my edit though. I took down the photo's because those I put up looked altered compared to yours. Your's are nice and clean and uncluttered inside. Damn if I had the coin and more importantly the room, I'd be all over them. Those are nice examples, it's always nice to see original packaging and owners material.

Any chance you will or did put these up against the CTC for sh*ts and giggles?

H9
  • DarqueKnight
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Doro,

Check your comcast email.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    H9 - Sure, I love to play with gear, in addition to myself. The Adcoms also have bottomless power but they just don't have the magic of the CTC sonically. I've been happy with this amp since I picked it up 3+ years ago and it doesn't look like it's leaving anytime soon. I actually defined the amp in my living will for a fellow Polkie, so it will probably outlive me.

This is yet another Adcom offering that has added to my ongoing, altered perspective on the manufacturer, as I used to somewhat dislike them. I can't do anything but appreciate the build quality, topology, reliability and power of the brand....as there's not much argument to be had. I think it's a much better choice than Carver when it comes to used, affordable gear for example. This particular pair isn't exactly in the affordable category per se, but the 535, 545 and 555 are really solid amps and are always a great value.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Just look at em. What a statement. John Curl = No ****. That's raw power.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • starchaser
    starchaser Posts: 354
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Sweet mono blocks Doro! If a good tubed pre wasn't a step ahead, i'd take very, very good care of these ladies. Gear like this, makes me regret I started at the the lower end of the spectrum... ever so slowly, getting my learn on.
    "There's a lot of places driving up and down I-95 that smell like ****" F1Nut
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2006
    Options
    This sale is TOTALLY unfair! Why do YOU get to keep the big one in the middle... :D
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • unc2701
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:

heh... wrote that when I was getting ready to ebay my pair. I think I ended up getting about $950 for 'em, but they weren't in as good a shape. I have to say that I am tempted- I do miss the monoliths.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Thanks gentlemen for the positive comments :)

These are still available....just drop me a line if you're interested.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Are those real audiophile bricks holding down those Mye stands :p I had a lot of trouble finding audiophile sand to fill the struts on my Mye stands :D
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    DKG - :D They are Oxygen Free Concrete. The MYE gear is top notch man, glad to see another user.
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Oxygen Free Concrete - I am very impressed:cool: Someday I will be able to play in the high end audio equipment. You are my new hero ;)
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Raife - Thanks alot for the very cool brochure....I just printed it to add to the amps.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited July 2006
    Options
    You're welcome. I would have bought your 565's if they had the balanced input option. My 565's can't be converted to balanced operation because Adcom no longer makes the conversion kit, which contains a completely different input circuit board.
  • unc2701
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Yeah, I tried to get mine switched over, too. No dice... but Adcom does still have rackmounts available for them.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited July 2006
    Options
    dorokusai wrote:
    Raife - Thanks alot for the very cool brochure....I just printed it to add to the amps.

Printed on Oxygen Free paper? Better be you cheap F***!!! ;)
    No excuses!
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Last call....off to Ebay tomorrow. Thanks for the interest either way.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Just in case....$900? I get corporate shipping rates, so it wouldn't be as much as you think....just a last minute thought.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2006
    Options
    SOLD. Thanks James....they are going to heat up those Magnepans like you wouldn't believe.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2006
    Options
    NP, the mags need a little boost in the butt.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited July 2006
    Options
    staying in the family? excellent!
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Nice amps!! :) Good score james
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited July 2006
    Options
    Now someone buy the counterpoint....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin