Setting up a subwoofer for 2.1?

2»

Comments

  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,793
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

    Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

    Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

    A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

    What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

    Thanks, I'll take a peek locally
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,613
    edited October 9
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    My integrated has pre-outs for subwoofer connection. At the moment, I just have a single RCA sub cable connected, but I'm thinking two would be better. Any suggestions for a PAIR of decent sub cables? Maybe 2 meters in the $100 range?

    Is two better though or does it not make a difference? I always wondered but just went with the flow.

    *Edit* I read that the preouts are usually set to output mono so it wouldn't make much of a difference, that is unless yours is different. Maybe the manual of the integrated would clarify.
    Living room

    Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

    2 Channel Den

    Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

    Noggin Rockin'

    Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

    Closet of Dreams:

    Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

    "Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,761
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

    Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

    Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

    A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

    What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

    Thanks, I'll take a peek locally

    *Comes back 3 days later* Hey guys, look what I just picked up for $30...
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,611
    FestYboy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

    Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

    Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

    A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

    What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

    Thanks, I'll take a peek locally

    *Comes back 3 days later* Hey guys, look what I just picked up for $30...

    $30???? Do tell.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,611
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    My integrated has pre-outs for subwoofer connection. At the moment, I just have a single RCA sub cable connected, but I'm thinking two would be better. Any suggestions for a PAIR of decent sub cables? Maybe 2 meters in the $100 range?

    Is two better though or does it not make a difference? I always wondered but just went with the flow.

    *Edit* I read that the preouts are usually set to output mono so it wouldn't make much of a difference, that is unless yours is different. Maybe the manual of the integrated would clarify.

    To be clear, these are not dedicated subwoofer outputs, like an AVR has, but true L&R pre-outs. So, yes, I'm shorting myself with just one cable. The sub is only getting the low end from one channel. I need two cables.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,611
    And, it's pretty clear the little Sunfire is getting demoted again. It can't do HT justice, even in a hybrid rig where HT is priority #2. Our workout room has a TV with Polk in-walls that could use a little help. The only question is, another Dynamo 700, or its bigger brother, the 12" 1000?
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 2,761
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

    Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

    Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

    A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

    What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

    Thanks, I'll take a peek locally

    *Comes back 3 days later* Hey guys, look what I just picked up for $30...

    $30???? Do tell.

    Typical @la2vegas purchase
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,712
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    zdxvbi4dbrsc.jpg

    Surprised to see no toe-in on those speakers.
    Got Dayens?
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 40,369
    a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up.

    I've got the fix for that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,611
    FestYboy wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    I decided to get a new sub and shift the little Sunfire to HT-only duty. The more I listened, the more I noticed it just wasn't as musical as I had hoped. It has great output for its size, but only in what seems to be a narrow range. Since my hybrid system is biased towards 2-channel, the Sunfire gets demoted. Also, this will allow me to dedicate one sub to HT LFE duty.

    Next sub up for 2-channel... a Martin Logan Dynamo 700w. I've set several of these up for others and have always been impressed with this 10" down-firing sealed box. Since they've recently been discontinued, they're currently available at a ridiculous price.

    Although it comes wireless ready, I think the line inputs will be better for 2-channel performance. This sub seems like it should supplement my bookshelf speakers nicely.

    A couple of oddities - a non-stop bright blue flashing LED on the back when not connected wirelessly. Seriously, this thing doesn't give up. Also, it comes with spikes - that get inserted into the rubber feet. Yes, these spikes decouple! I'll use it this way for a while, but eventually, I think it will benefit from proper spiking.

    What's a good price on those Martin Logan subs on the used market? Maybe I'll follow your lead.
    Idk, but around $450 new online. Sold for $700-$800 in the past year. Some used on eBay under $300, but who knows what you get there.

    Thanks, I'll take a peek locally

    *Comes back 3 days later* Hey guys, look what I just picked up for $30...

    $30???? Do tell.

    Typical @la2vegas purchase

    Ah, gotcha! I didn't read the sarcasm, and was wondering where I might snag one for that, or what kind of condition it might be in, for that matter... :D
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,611
    Clipdat wrote: »
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    zdxvbi4dbrsc.jpg

    Surprised to see no toe-in on those speakers.

    I've only briefly experimented with toe-in, with missed results. There's an existing imaging issue with the right speaker being only one foot from the side wall, while the left is in a more open space. I have a couple of 2x2 acoustic panels I want to experiment with first, before I mess with positioning.
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,075
    Why not build a small platform for the smaller sub and paint it black so it would blend in more making the two subs the same height.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Tributaries Optical, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Rotel RDV 1045 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII and Android Mi Box3. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 2,793
    Willow wrote: »
    Why not build a small platform for the smaller sub and paint it black so it would blend in more making the two subs the same height.

    And where would you source this elusive black paint? :D
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SDA 2B, SDA II, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11T X2 pairs, RTA 8T, LSI9, LSI7, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,075
    edited October 13
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    Why not build a small platform for the smaller sub and paint it black so it would blend in more making the two subs the same height.

    And where would you source this elusive black paint? :D

    Geez... it is and has always been available....... Right next to the unicorns!
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Tributaries Optical, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Rotel RDV 1045 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII and Android Mi Box3. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!