component class ($) compatibility

marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,186
edited August 2 in Speakers
the question is, does it make sense to purchase a $16k integrated amp for a $4700 pair of speakers ?
speakers are Salk HT2-TL
http://salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity+HT2-TL

amp is gryphon diablo 300
http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/integrated-amplifiers/diablo-300.aspx

a

Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Transport/Dac: Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Interconnects: Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro, MG Audio Design Planus Cu2,
Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 18,238
    Not in my book..., but then again, I am a friggen cheapskate.

What integrated are we talking about?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,889
    Nothing about this hobby is sensible.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,186
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nothing about this hobby is sensible.

I started to ask the guy but didn't want to start anything.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800, Usher R1.5
    Speaker Cables: Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9, Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
    If the pairing is propitious, why not?
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 651
    I think it depends on the long term plan. If it were me I would level the playing field between the two. But, if the long term plan was to upgrade speakers then it might be the right move.

I think we all run into this from time to time when we flip components.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 833
    This is fairly close to what I have in my electronics to speakers ratio and I have no regrets. Imo if it's what you want and it doesn't break the bank then go for it as life is far too short.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
    Let's go way back to [circa] 1977 -- "Randy", at Warehouse Sound in San Luis Obispo, CA (where else?) hooked a lowly Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp (Kenwood's "entry level" amp of the time) to his big JBL monitors... let's see what happened :)

kventnpqccfy.jpg

(note the sly druggie/radio biz reference -- it was the Seventies!) ;)

29940371068_83d9daa963_b.jpg31320and20it20cooks20text_zps4993d408 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    9931769165_62686928af_b.jpg313%20and%20it%20cooks by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,760
    About the only thing I would care about cost in relationship to price of other equipment is cables. I wouldn’t spend as much on speaker cables, for example, as the speakers themselves.

That said, I wouldn’t say that an amp shouldn’t exceed 50% of the price of speakers, nor would I say 4 times the cost of speakers is too much.

Don’t really think it should be a major factor in whatever it is you choose to buy.

If of course you’re looking to buy that amp, for an excuse to upgrade your speakers, then I would start questioning your sanity.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 29,769
    Is that you askin' Marv, or the other half ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1430 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is that you askin' Marv, or the other half ? :)
    I'm cheap so you know what I would do. now if they were selling the amp new for 7 or 8k I would have to think about it :o
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 4,213
    That amp looks awesome!.
    The amp i ran for a long time was triple the price of the speakers. It had wonderful control on the speakers. I say if you have the funds to do it, why not!
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,617
    My buddy up the street is running the HT2-TLs with a Parasound Halo Integrated and it sounds awful good...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    turn him onto that $16k Gryphon integrated :D
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 29,769
    The only problem I see Marv, with buying an amp 3 times the price of the speaks.....

….is that sooner or later you'll realize the speaks need to be upgraded to match. Lucky for you, Salk has a path. Those SS8's might be calling your name in the middle of the night.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    Tad 803 bookies
    Polk 500 surrounds
    Polk s35 center
    SVS SB-2000
    Sonos

Music-

Joule la-100 pre
    B&k 1430 amp
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    ERA D5 bookies

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable
    no, this is not me doing the buying.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,031
    If he likes it, can afford it, go for it. If the electronics boosts the performance of the speakers, or vice versa then that's a win all the way around.

I don't pay too much attention to the various classes of things. If I like it, can afford it and am please with the results, then I'm happy, and that should be the bottom line.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • Toolfan66Toolfan66 Posts: 13,867
    Look what Ray is running his 1.2tl’s, I would love to be on that playing field..