component class ($) compatibility

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
edited August 2018 in Speakers
the question is, does it make sense to purchase a $16k integrated amp for a $4700 pair of speakers ?
speakers are Salk HT2-TL
http://salksound.com/model.php?model=Veracity+HT2-TL

amp is gryphon diablo 300
http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/integrated-amplifiers/diablo-300.aspx

a

Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Not in my book..., but then again, I am a friggen cheapskate.

What integrated are we talking about?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • marvda1
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nothing about this hobby is sensible.

I started to ask the guy but didn't want to start anything.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    If the pairing is propitious, why not?
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I think it depends on the long term plan. If it were me I would level the playing field between the two. But, if the long term plan was to upgrade speakers then it might be the right move.

I think we all run into this from time to time when we flip components.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    This is fairly close to what I have in my electronics to speakers ratio and I have no regrets. Imo if it's what you want and it doesn't break the bank then go for it as life is far too short.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Let's go way back to [circa] 1977 -- "Randy", at Warehouse Sound in San Luis Obispo, CA (where else?) hooked a lowly Kenwood KA-3500 integrated amp (Kenwood's "entry level" amp of the time) to his big JBL monitors... let's see what happened :)

kventnpqccfy.jpg

(note the sly druggie/radio biz reference -- it was the Seventies!) ;)

29940371068_83d9daa963_b.jpg31320and20it20cooks20text_zps4993d408 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
    9931769165_62686928af_b.jpg313%20and%20it%20cooks by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    About the only thing I would care about cost in relationship to price of other equipment is cables. I wouldn’t spend as much on speaker cables, for example, as the speakers themselves.

That said, I wouldn’t say that an amp shouldn’t exceed 50% of the price of speakers, nor would I say 4 times the cost of speakers is too much.

Don’t really think it should be a major factor in whatever it is you choose to buy.

If of course you’re looking to buy that amp, for an excuse to upgrade your speakers, then I would start questioning your sanity.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is that you askin' Marv, or the other half ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is that you askin' Marv, or the other half ? :)
    I'm cheap so you know what I would do. now if they were selling the amp new for 7 or 8k I would have to think about it :o
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    That amp looks awesome!.
    The amp i ran for a long time was triple the price of the speakers. It had wonderful control on the speakers. I say if you have the funds to do it, why not!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    My buddy up the street is running the HT2-TLs with a Parasound Halo Integrated and it sounds awful good...
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • marvda1
    turn him onto that $16k Gryphon integrated :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The only problem I see Marv, with buying an amp 3 times the price of the speaks.....

….is that sooner or later you'll realize the speaks need to be upgraded to match. Lucky for you, Salk has a path. Those SS8's might be calling your name in the middle of the night.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    no, this is not me doing the buying.
    Puritan PSM156
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If he likes it, can afford it, go for it. If the electronics boosts the performance of the speakers, or vice versa then that's a win all the way around.

I don't pay too much attention to the various classes of things. If I like it, can afford it and am please with the results, then I'm happy, and that should be the bottom line.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Look what Ray is running his 1.2tl’s, I would love to be on that playing field..