Part time job paycut - just want to vent

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Joey it is what it is. Finish out your time, doing the best job that you can do. Give them proper notice, then move to your new job.

Leave them with a good feeling or not, but know that YOU did the right thing by being professional and not burning any bridges, because you never know who you know now you might run into in the future somewhere else.

If that happens, you want them to remember you as being a professional who can be relied upon, and not some ego driven jerk who thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

Wow it’s like I just spoke to my Mom
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I added some more.

We had a HR Director who went to a meeting with the rest of the senior staff and announced that it was her last day. She decided to follow our former CEO over to one of UHS's other hospitals.

Well guess what, the state came in and closed that hospital, she asked the acting HR director if she could come back. The new CEO said "Not a hope in Hell!!!" All because she was unprofessional and didn't do the right thing. So she burned her bridges with our hospital.

You never know what could happen.

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I feel if anybody gives 110% on the job and then is treated this way....I don't think ego comes into play, just the facts.

I've seen people treated like they don't matter after they've given 110% for years and years. Then they part ways and the companies have to hire 2 people to replace what they had. I've seen it MANY times in 40 years.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    I would tell them that You’re going to work it. I would also call their bluff a bit by bluffing on your own.

I would casually tell them that your attorney is reviewing your contract to make sure the pay cut is within the guidelines of your contract. Finish with something like, “Just be aware that you’re probably going to be paying me the contract rate. See you guys Saturday!”
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited April 2018
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    TonyB and myself could "take care" of things..... ;)

Where's Curly
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Just play it kool and act like nothing is bothering you about the situation. Meanwhile get John Megadeath to freshen up your resume and get it out to anywhere you are interested in working short term or long term. Sometimes the times that seem to suck the most. Open up new opportunities that are better than you could imagine and you’ll be back on top with Baller status in no time. Good luck,D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Tony M
    Options
    I forgot to mention, the people I knew that got treated like they didn't matter, moved on to BETTER JOBS for sure!!! I think if you were doing 105%, the next door opening will be a lot brighter on the other side. ;)

Great point!
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Joey it is what it is. Finish out your time, doing the best job that you can do. Give them proper notice, then move to your new job.

Leave them with a good feeling or not, but know that YOU did the right thing by being professional and not burning any bridges, because you never know who you know now you might run into in the future somewhere else.

If that happens, you want them to remember you as being a professional who can be relied upon, and not some ego driven jerk who thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

Wow it’s like I just spoke to my Mom

LOL! Your mom and I are probably not that far apart in age, which means we've already lived through all this BS, and have survived it.

Having worked in the corporate world for over 40 years, I have seen how corps are, and it is everyone for themselves.

When they want to dump you, they don't give a damn how good you are or how knowledgeable you might be. We are simply disposable. But go out with class, because just as I said above, you will probably run into some of them later on down the road.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The unfortunate thing about most of us here in the real world, we are disposable to an extent.

A lot of us who are not independently wealthy walk a fine line... a job cut and boom, there goes a lot of plans.

I’m lucky I’m not paycheck to paycheck and can take a hit but I don’t like these turn of events. Had it been my main job with this kind of paycut, it would really hurt.

Luckily, my part time gig is nothing like my main gig so the paycut is not an across the board thing.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Yep, we are pretty much disposable. There is usually someone waiting in the wings ready to replace you.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Fight for your rights. You don't want to work for a company that has that kind of attitude anyways. As long as you are fighting for what is legally binding in a contract no employer ahould hold it against you if they do happen to catch wind. If they find out about it from your current employer you then have rights to act against them.

$5000 is enough to fight for IMO. They won't want to go into legal fees so they should quickly change their tune.

Just remind them of the clause and say after X day you may reduce my pay per the contract. You know you are leaving anyways so it doesn't matter when that time comes.

Can I work it and then pursue legal?

Or if I work it then did I accept it?

$5000 is what I lost with the cut. If I spent another $5000 for a lawyer, that could be a $10,000 swing. Tough choice

My mom said if I don’t work it then it’s money lost. Either way, cut or not cut, it’s only paper losses until I choose to work or not work it.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I’d act a fool, let my emotions get the best of me and show them who they’re messing with. Publicly slander the co. or retaliate with a harassment suit. When they force me to leave I’ll take everybody with me. That’ll teach em.

Ehh maybe not...just got to say it out loud.

Whatever you choose, keep the peace, and learn from it. The work life balance is important and try not to get in a position where you can’t afford to walk away from a bad situation.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yeah there’s always two ways to act

One way is the way we would all act in a video game

The other is how we would act in real life.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I don't envy you in this situation @Joey_V

I do hope it all works out in your favor.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Tony M
    Options
    Work it out. :/
    Then see who replaces you if you can. ;)
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    I don't envy you in this situation @Joey_V

I do hope it all works out in your favor.
    Thanks Victor

Bump in the road, lesson learned, can’t control what you can’t control.

In the end, level heads prevail.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Work it out. :/
    Then see who replaces you if you can. ;)

Find out my who my nemesis is...
  • Tony M
    Options
    Yep, a big bump in your road.

Time to close that chapter in your life. Start writing your new one. ;)
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I’m buying a lottery ticket. If I win, peace out
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Welcome to the high-tech world. At least you weren't outsourced, and H1-B doctors bought in. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Consulting a lawyer usually costs about $100. It's worth it IMO and they can direct you to the correct path. I'm not sure if my sister in law does labor laws or not but I could check. Do you have the contract in hand and are you sure it's not void of new management comes in? It would be worth it to read through it yourself again just to make sure.

Good call I will ask around and get a consultation
  • Joey_V
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Welcome to the high-tech world. At least you weren't outsourced, and H1-B doctors bought in. :)

Lol
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Reading between the lines here: if there are patient lives at stake...just do your duty for 3.5 shifts and move on. Innocent people should not suffer. You can make more money.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    Leave an "upper decker" in the executive restroom.
  • cfrizz
    Options
    Consulting a lawyer usually costs about $100. It's worth it IMO and they can direct you to the correct path. I'm not sure if my sister in law does labor laws or not but I could check. Do you have the contract in hand and are you sure it's not void of new management comes in? It would be worth it to read through it yourself again just to make sure.

I'm sorry but all this for a part time job that he already has a new one lined up for in June? over 6000.00?

It is not worth it. He can fight it, and probably lose, it certainly won't stop the company from doing it again to someone else, and he risks getting a bad rep for fighting the inevitable possibly costing him jobs in the future. They've got lawyers up the wazoo that will run him around and cost him thousands for years and he will still lose.

He has a wife, kid, and responsibilities to handle that are far more important than taking on a corp over 6000.00!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    ...or an investment into some new French items :p It stings a bit, but his future earning capacity is still quite high.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    ...or an investment into some new French items :p It stings a bit, but his future earning capacity is still quite high.

Atleast that’s arriving tomorrow

Some good news amidst a sea of bad
  • Joey_V
    Options
    And my wife says I get to keep the French

Phew
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    As if she ever really had a say...
    Joey_V wrote: »
    And my wife says I get to keep the French

Phew

• halen
    halen Posts: 677
    Options
    The right of refusal to take a paycut with a signed contract in hand is not burning any bridges. Some bridges must be burnt along the journey of your career. Think about it. What bridges are being burnt? If you are in the good with fellow colleagues. Your references are always golden.

We are talking about disposable income here. On principle alone, I would not accept it. Be upfront and move on. It would be unethical to say nothing, come into your shift then walk out. They went that low, they burnt the bridge, don’t be like them. Take a stance. Voice it. Move on.

Maybe it is just me. But it is not pride. I got where I am today by the most helpful hand I could find. The one at the end of my own arms. Mine.

You. .. I will neve walk back into my house and have my children ask. Daddy, how was your day? And be all smiles after being shafted. I would tell them exactly what happened and what daddy did.

Stand up for yourself.
This discussion has been closed.