Part time job paycut - just want to vent

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
Just got a call today, that my part time took a paycut.

I only have 3.5 shifts left (1 in April and 2.5 in May) at that gig as I knew there was new management coming on board that I did not want to be a part of.... so I lined up something else to take its place from June onward.

Starting this Friday, the job takes a paycut. It's odd because the contract states that any changes require 60 days notice, but I guess the new management thinks otherwise.

It's not enough to file a lawsuit over, I think legal fees would be more than what I would lose with the paycut.

Sounds like from their conversation with me, there are 2 options:
1. Work the shifts at a lower rate.
2. Walk away/out of the shifts. See ya'.

I told them I'd mull it over, I'm not sure how quickly replaceable I am since they would have to staff it on short notice (my next shift is Saturday, so that's 72 hours from now) and the person would have to be credentialed at the facility, learn the electronic system, and be available to work on such short notice.

I spoke to my wife, she's not sure what I should do.

I'm pretty steaming upset right now, but I guess some management companies suck or are not honorable.

Just wanted to vent... thanks for listening.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    If you really think you can’t be replaced call their bluff, tell then you’ll work at your current rate or walk
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Walk away. It’s not worth the stress; gotta live some.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    I am tempted to call their bluff. I need to have enough in the bank for my "take a hike" money.

Pretty upset at the moment.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    somebody Is asking you to take a pay cut at a part time job you don’t intend to Perdue for very much longer anyway?

I would have rattled off a speech to those idiots that would have gotten me kicked off this site a minimum of 47 times, and that would be in the first 30 seconds.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    You never want to make a power-play without insurance---that insurance being another job already lined-up. Just MY opinion.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    I’m covered June onwards because I got wind that this new management is a little shady.

My loss would be about a month’s worth of part time pay which I usually funnel away to savings on a regular expenditure month.

Either way, it still hurts.
    steveinaz wrote: »
    You never want to make a power-play without insurance---that insurance being another job already lined-up. Just MY opinion.

• Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    rpf65 wrote: »
    somebody Is asking you to take a pay cut at a part time job you don’t intend to Perdue for very much longer anyway?

I would have rattled off a speech to those idiots that would have gotten me kicked off this site a minimum of 47 times, and that would be in the first 30 seconds.

You’re my hero man

As much as it pains me to say it, I wish I had your cajones man

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Joey_V wrote: »

Be respectful, decide and let her know ASAP. She probably has a date on Saturday and knows it's bad form to break it at the last minute if you're not gonna be at work! B)

• Joey_V
    teekay0007 wrote: »

Be respectful, decide and let her know ASAP. She probably has a date on Saturday and knows it's bad form to break it at the last minute if you're not gonna be at work! B)

Zing!!!

You got me good lol
  • maxfrompa
    maxfrompa Posts: 13
    Don't burn your bridges, things have a way of coming back around.
    Living Room - Onkyo Tx-NR3009, OPPO BDP-93, Carver M500t(3), Fire TV, Monster Power HTS3500, JVC RS45, Elite CineGrey 3d 120in, Polk SDA SRS(Moded), CS350LS, RT2000i, RT7, DIY 15in Titanic III SUB(2)
    Master Bedroom - Onkyo TX-SR507, Sony BDP-S5200, Fire TV, Homeworx TV Tuner, Audio Technia AT-PL120 Turntable, Shure M97 Cartridge, Monster Power HTS1600, Optoma HD142X, Hooker Cabinet 100in Screen Combo, Energy Take Speakers, Premier Acoustic PA-120SUB(2)
    Computer - Difinitive Tech Incline Speaker Sys, Sunfire True Sub MKII
    GYM - Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi, Fire Stick, Samsung 55in TV, POLK RTi8
    Whole House Dist - Carver CT27v, TFM15CB, Homespot Bluetooth, HTD in ceiling Speakers
    On The Shelf - Carver C1, TX11a, RCA VHS, Sony BR, Dragonfly DAC, Klipsch Academy
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Sounds like they would have to cover your shifts by asking an existing staff member to kick-in, potentially paying them overtime (time-and-a-half?). You have some negotiating power.

Do you know any lawyers personally to ask for advice? This is clearly breach-of-contract. Maybe your state's Dept of Labor? If you don't sign some type of consent for less $, they can't do this.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    That’s what I’m thinking they would have to pay a premium to cover on such short notice. Part of me says just work it, part of me says this ain’t right.

I work for a first tier company (main job). Makes me appreciate them so much more.

This new company is like a second tier company, jerks.
  • Joey_V
    DSkip wrote: »
    If they are in the wrong they have to pay lawyer fees right?

Yes, if the judge says they are wrong.

I’m not lawyer so I don’t know.

It would probably cost $5000 to get a lawyer and that would be basically what I lose on this part time assignment as it stands with the paycut. Taking another $5000 out would be a gamble, see what I’m saying?

If this were my main gig then for sure.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    In all seriousness, Joey, it's probably best to just bite your tongue and finish out the contract on this one. You have just a few shifts left and it really is "extra" cash for you. It's also a surprisingly small community you work in and the last thing you want is people who don't know what they are talking about to be talking about you behind your back.

You said you already have the next gig lined up. You don't want to walk into that one with any erroneous rumors being whispered about you before you even step foot in the door.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited April 2018
    maxfrompa wrote: »
    Don't burn your bridges, things have a way of coming back around.

My boss (hired me) that I worked for 26 years ago @ (Westinghouse Electric), just hired by the same company I work for now. I still work for the same company I left WHE for, and yes he is my boss again.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Again, it would be a clear breach-of-contract if you work the shift(s) and they pay you less. That is illegal, so you should get attorney's fees. If you sign something otherwise, then no. Everything's negotiable. Maybe meet in the middle?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I work in an industry that isn't small but it's well connected, you always run across people you've worked with before, or get reference calls on - our general rule of thumb is as has been mentioned, don't burn bridges.

That said, this would piss me off too, likely the change of ownership is giving them some out on the contract, or at least the belief they have one. Definitely a drag.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Joey_V
    Definitely a drag.

Yes don’t burn bridges.

The email (then call) went like this:
    “We have the staffing to cover the place should you choose not to work your shifts.”

That’s a slap in the face for me, so they already anticipated this event? It’s like premeditated.

Paycut is not negligible either. They knew how to hit and hit hard enough so we would notice.
  • Joey_V
    N-

I was this close to saying that on the phone, “I’m out, you guys staff the shift. Good luck.”

But I bit my tongue. They said to let them know by tomorrow if I wanted to make changes.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tough call sir. I feel for ya. I'm glad you decided to mull it over.

One thing I can say is that the management may be testing you and others, as if they get away with it this time, and you stick it out, how far now can they continue to push? I've seen that before.

Good luck and travels whatever you decide.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    TonyB and myself could "take care" of things..... ;)
  • Joey_V
    edited April 2018
    DSkip wrote: »
    N-

I was this close to saying that on the phone, “I’m out, you guys staff the shift. Good luck.”

But I bit my tongue. They said to let them know by tomorrow if I wanted to make changes.

That's what they want you to do honestly.

I think you might be right.

So by working it, it’s a middle finger, right?
  • Joey_V
    verb wrote: »
    Tough call sir. I feel for ya. I'm glad you decided to mull it over.

One thing I can say is that the management may be testing you and others, as if they get away with it this time, and you stick it out, how far now can they continue to push? I've seen that before.

Good luck and travels whatever you decide.

I am for sure not continuing here so I already stopped putting in shifts after May. I knew this new management team was shady.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I feel for you.
    Some people just don't care about others. Russ reminded me of this.
    https://youtu.be/08a9Iz8B88M?t=18
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If you have all this in writing rent a billboard, preferably right next to the entrance.

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Give ‘em a taste of their own medicine. They’re not giving you the courtesy of honoring your contract, right? Show up for your shift, and then remind them of the contract. If at that time they still won’t honor it, then let them know you won’t be working. See how fast they can scramble to fill the shift then!
  • Joey_V
    I like the advise I’ve gotten so far

I spoke to my parents, they said to work it and leave on good terms and don’t burn bridges.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Parents know best. That’s good advice. Take the high road.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I think in your field, sure, take it on the chin and look forward.

But in my life...
    I let the flames from the burning bridges light my way forward :D !
    SERIOUSLY. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2018
    Joey it is what it is. Finish out your time, doing the best job that you can do. Give them proper notice, then move to your new job.

Leave them with a good feeling or not, but know that YOU did the right thing by being professional and not burning any bridges, because you never know who you know now you might run into in the future somewhere else.

If that happens, you want them to remember you as being a professional who can be relied upon, and not some ego driven jerk who thinks he's all that and a bag of chips.

We had a HR Director who went to a meeting with the rest of the senior staff and announced that it was her last day. She decided to follow our former CEO over to one of UHS's other hospitals.

Well guess what, the state came in and closed that hospital, she asked the acting HR director if she could come back. The new CEO said "Not a hope in Hell!!!" All because she was unprofessional and didn't do the right thing. So she burned her bridges with our hospital.

You never know what could happen.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
This discussion has been closed.