Over the top Eastlake Victorian Butler's Chest

F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,300
I just finished restoring this piece for a client. It required a complete disassembly, literally hundreds of parts, then the rebuild/replacement/reglue not to mention a lot cosmetic work. All in all, it was a bit of a nightmare and I'll be glad to not see it in my shop anymore.

The reason I am posting this is after all these years and all the Victorian furniture I've worked on this is without question the most over the top piece I have ever seen. So, I thought I'd share with you what at one time was the height of furniture fashion. The crazy thing about it, for all the craftsmanship you see on the outside the case construction was some of the worst I've ever seen.

Enjoy!

54m8h5oaabfc.jpg

ov54xaj1rtex.jpg

imfc5a5f99v5.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Comments

• motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 2,216
    Geez that is hideous, nice finish job though.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk Signature S60's
    Cables: Wireworld Eclipse IC, Audio Art IC3; Speaker cable LA International SS-800; PS Audio AC-3 power cords; All into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

Other; SDA2BTL's, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,296
    wow.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 38,300
    Geez that is hideous, nice finish job though.

Yeah....not my taste for sure.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,277
    It takes some real skill to get wood to give that warm glow. Doesn't come from 4 coats of shellac and Lemon pledge.
    It wasn't given to you covered in paint was it ? If it was, double bravo.

..... make that triple bravo.

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
    That's the original finish after a lot of cleaning, touch up, repairs, waxing and polishing. If it was covered in paint I wouldn't have touched it because I have two rules. I don't strip paint and I don't strip paint.

• hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,900
    Amazing! Good work...
    Preamplifier - Dared SL-2000A
    Amplifier - McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe
    Speakers - GoldenEar Triton 2
    Man Cave
    Turntable - Sony PS-LX410/Grado Green Cartridge
    Phono Stage - Parks Audio Budgie
    CD - Marantz DV4001
    Passive Pre - Luminous Audio Axiom II
    Amplifier - Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers - SDA 2A (x-overs etc...); Epos Epic 2; Polk Audio Monitor 70 (my first)

Kidding

Kind of cool looking piece you just don't run across those everyday
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 5,797
    Very nice conservation and repair, Jesse. A little too ornate for my taste, but still beautiful.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-350, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver PM-600

dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Now Carrying Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

"And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,807
    Nice work. That’s an interesting piece of furniture. I don’t have any idea what one would use that drawer for.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,227
    Daggum Jesse. That is Ut Bckin' Fugly. Did I mention that that was Ut Buckin' Fugly?

Great job man...(I think)...

Personally, I'd choose a bigger golf course.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
    Nice work. That’s an interesting piece of furniture. I don’t have any idea what one would use that drawer for.

It's a butler's chest, that's the desk section. The entire piece can be locked up, the column on the right closes over the right side edge of the drawers and once locked prevents all the drawers from opening.

What in the world does a BUTLER have to hide?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,752
    Great job Jesse! Looks like that took some time. I hope you were well compensated and much appreciated by your client!
    HT Rig:
    Yamaha RX-A1010; Parasound HCA-1000a; Arcam rDac; Mains: PSB Imagine Mini + MartinLogan Dynamo (original) sub; Center - Def Tech Procenter 1000; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - SVS PB10-ISD; Sony BDP-S390, FireTV gen 2

Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Audiosource Amp Two, Dynaudio Emit 10, NHT Super One CI, ACI Titan subwoofer, FireTV, Arcam rDac; Bryson BPD-1
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,017
    Quite a bit of bling on that chest however the wood used is quite attractive. Jesse, beautiful restoration.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
  • warrenwarren Posts: 544
    Your a master craftsman.
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,030
    I think it looks kind of cool. I wouldn't want it in my space, it's just too different from modern furniture to mix, but it's kinda neat.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,458
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

A gun
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    In THAT thing?

Tom

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,115

Tom

Poison silly
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,467
    edited December 4
    @F1nut,

Beautifully done! Extraordinary craftsmanship on your part.

I certainly understand your comments about the piece itself, as well as those of others. It seems to be a piece that belongs in a museum, especially after your restoration.

One thing I don't understand is the the reason that anybody would build such a piece with a second-rate "foundation." For all its ornate charateristics, you would think it would have great underlying case work.

Is it English? American? Other?

One other question: Does it have a secret drawer or compartment? Many chests of that sort do, but I don't recall ever having seen a "butler's chest."

Very well done!

P.S.: You know, if it didn't have those "roses" on the top drawer, It would look a lot better!
    Family Room, PS Audio PW Transport, DirectStream DAC; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 MKII Pre; AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux Prisma 750 Amps or CAT 600.2 Dualmono Amp, Morrow SP7 Speaker Cables, SDA SRS 1.2tls (RD0198s, Dreadnought, Black Hole 5, Acousta-Stuf, Dynamat Extreme, JBWeld. Vr3 Mods: "The Abbot" Monastery-Level Xovers, Custom Internal Wiring, Binding Post Plates, & SDA ICs).

Exercise Room, Wadia 171 iPod Dock, PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC, AQ Sky XLRs, Perreaux SM6 Preamp, AQ King Cobra RCAs, Perreaux PMF3150 Amp, Dreadnought, Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables, SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers).

Synology 713+ NAS on Gigabit LAN serving PW MkII DAC & DirectStream DAC.
    edited December 4
    HOW-TO-MAKE-THE-WORLD%E2%80%99S-SMALLEST-RIFLE-THAT-SHOOTS-%E2%80%93-OUT-OF-POPSICLE-STICKS-1.jpg?resize=880%2C660

Good deal, I thought it was an arsenal of these....

Tom

Tom

Butler's ran the house. Among their responsibilities were such things as keeping the household accounts, dishing out cash payments, keeping the silver locked up, etc.

@F1nut,

I certainly understand your comments about the piece itself, as well as those of others. It seems to be a piece that belongs in a museum, especially after your restoration.

One thing I don't understand is the the reason that anybody would build such a piece with a second-rate "foundation." For all its ornate charateristics, you would think it would have great underlying case work.

One other question: Does it have a secret drawer or compartment? Many chests of that sort do, but I don't recall ever having seen a "butler's chest."

Very well done!

P.S.: You know, if it didn't have those "roses" on the top drawer, It would look a lot better!

I agree, this is one that belongs in a museum.

I can only surmise they cut corners where it wouldn't be noticed be the end user.

Definitely American.

No secret compartments, none required as once the right post is locked none of the drawers can be opened.

• nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 7,017
    F1nut wrote: »
    @F1nut,

Very well done!

I agree, this is one that belongs in a museum.

I can only surmise they cut corners where it wouldn't be noticed be the end user.

Definitely American.

No secret compartments, none required as once the right post is locked none of the drawers can be opened.

Universal key...

6ux0viogcr7d.jpg
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.
    Wow. My butler could not hold 1/2000 of my music collection in that.

Jesse, all kidding and rib rubbing aside? Fantastic job man! Rock it bro'!

Tom

edited December 4
    Yeah, we all know locks are to keep honest people out.

Tom, thanks!

• MrBuhlMrBuhl Posts: 1,944
    Jesse you do great work, I bet it didn't look that good the day it was purchased!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel , McCormack DNA 0.5 (SMc Gold) Amp, MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp, Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded), A/L 1000VA Dreadnought, Canare 4s11 SDA cable, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Vincent Pho-700 Phono Pre, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / Pangea & Signal Cable MP power
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000
    LA Toobs Dodd Audio 50wpc Dual Mono Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp, Polk LSIM705, Marantz DV8300 SACD, VPI Nomad Turntable w/Ortofon 2M Bronze, MIT AVt3 Speaker & RCA Cables, Pangea & Signal Cable MP power

Dodd Mid Level Preamp ("on the bench" w/Charlie)
    Polk SDA1c modded
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Bottlehead Foreplay (modded)
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    McCormack DNA-1 Power Drive Amp
    Eastern Electric Minimax CDP
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,500
    I kept thinking toy soldiers were just moments from marching out onto the putting green.
  • SlapahoSlapaho Posts: 210
    Hope you charged what the job was really worth.