Phono Preamps

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
edited June 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
I'll be one of the lucky to participate in the Vista Audio Phono-2 tour @DSkip is putting together. I'm looking to order in a couple others so I can do a comparison when I receive the Phono-2. My current cart is an Audio Technica 440mla which is on the lower end of output for an MM cart, so I'd like something with adjustable gain. It would also be nice to be able to play with cart loading since the Phono-2 is so versatile in that regard. Probably going to pick-up a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS for the comparison & would like to grab one other.

Does not have to be tube based. Looking for those costing under $500. Needs to be new so I can return the losers. Who has suggestions?

For reference my current rig consists of:
Pro-Ject Debut III, AT 440mla cart, Acryl It Platter & Speed Box S
Cambridge Audio 640P
Parasound P5
Aragon 8008x3
Polk LsiM705

Comments

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,388
    Options
    For that budget you can get a (used) Leahman black cube SE. Has all and more than you mentioned and you may not want to send it back.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

This is a very popular budget phono pre over at SHF. 40dB of gain, passive LCR network.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Will look into those. Thanks.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2017
    Options
    That speed box & Acrylic platter were a nice improvement for your TT.

I think your phono amp is a decent one, but if your lookingto upgrade it I recommend the Vincent PHO-8 for $300 or the PHO-700 for $500
    47sz7kux8o14.jpg
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VIPHO700
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • DaveHo
    Options

I know of the budgie's reputation, but my cart's output falls short of the recommended 5mV min. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,109
    Options
    I've been considering a Budgie for use with my AT440MLa cart. I never saw a minimum cartridge "output" requirement listed by Parks Audio for the Budgie. The output listed for the AT440MLa on the AT website is "4.0 (mV, 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)." I would like to know the answer to this after reading Dave's comment. Also wondering if the Budgie would work with my Denon HOMC DL-160 cart. It's output voltage listed as 1.6mV, would I require a SUT using a Budgie? Not trying to derail Dave, you just brought up the Budgie 5mV min. recommendation I just need clarification/advice too. I know I can call Parks Audio, but you guys know everything and I can be real dumb on new things :) Thank you.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    http://www.loungeaudio.com/lcr-mr-iii

This is a very popular budget phono pre over at SHF. 40dB of gain, passive LCR network.

Love mine, and would recommend.

2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • DaveHo
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    I've been considering a Budgie for use with my AT440MLa cart. I never saw a minimum cartridge "output" requirement listed by Parks Audio for the Budgie. The output listed for the AT440MLa on the AT website is "4.0 (mV, 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)." I would like to know the answer to this after reading Dave's comment. Also wondering if the Budgie would work with my Denon HOMC DL-160 cart. It's output voltage listed as 1.6mV, would I require a SUT using a Budgie? Not trying to derail Dave, you just brought up the Budgie 5mV min. recommendation I just need clarification/advice too. I know I can call Parks Audio, but you guys know everything and I can be real dumb on new things :) Thank you.

From the Budgie's specs:
    Gain: 38dB (suitable for carts with at least 5mV output)
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,109
    Options
    This cartridge output requirement is still confusing me, especially after reading this https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mv-output-from-cartridge-please-explain
    I'm going to check with Parks Audio and report back on the "at least 5mV output" statement they list, I saw it on their Budgie website page too.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,095
    edited June 2017
    Options
    so-- if I can do arithmetic right (with a calculator!), the difference between 1.5 mV and 5 mV, after Bob Harley* (reference below), is 10.4 dB. In other words, you'd lose 10 dB of output (a factor of 10-fold, potentially, in terms of volume) with a 1.5 mV cartridge relative to a 5 mV cartridge.

*Now, I've gotta admit, I am not at all sure why the delta is 10.4 and not 5.2 dB... maybe the factor of "20" Harley used was because there are two channels (stereo)?
    reference: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/taking-the-guesswork-out-of-phonostage-gain-1/

Remember, also, that the cartridge output specs are nominal -- usually referenced to a certain frequency and groove velocity (1 kHz @ 5 cm/sec peak, e.g.,https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/mv-output-from-cartridge-please-explain). In practice (of course!) both frequency and velocity change (a lot!) when playing an actual record containing actual music! :)

Now, 10 dB is a lot of difference in signal (and, ultimately, loudness). If nothing else, the s/n will be that much worse at any given listening level... but it does NOT mean that a 1.5 mV nominal output cartridge won't work with the phono preamp in question. The question would be "Will it let me play my rekkids loud enough to satisfy me?". I'd opine (ahem) that's a question that can only be answered empirically :)

All this being said, it sure is nice to have options in terms of gain (and loading!) in a phono preamp. Today, thanks to the resurgence of interest in playing records, there are reasonably priced options that give one much flexibility.

The Schiit Mani, e.g., would be well worth a look, I would think! A lot of capability in a cheap package! Mind you, I've never heard one, so it might sound like... you know... Schiit, but even if you didn't like it, it's probably returnable and even if it's not... it would probably be easy to sell it and recoup most of one's investment!

Best case, maybe you've got a friend who's got some Schiit?

http://schiit.com/products/mani

Mani-bottom-1000.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The aforementioned Schiit Mani offers four different gain options: 30 dB, 42 dB, 48 dB and 59 dB, and loading options that should :) support most MM, LOMC and HOMC cartridges reasonably well.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,507
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »

I know of the budgie's reputation, but my cart's output falls short of the recommended 5mV min. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is that cart something you're married to?
    Seems like a different cart might be a consideration before collecting phono pres?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2017
    Options
    msg wrote: »

Seems like a different cart might be a consideration before collecting phono pres?

Good point :)

There are so many good phono cartridges available at all price points -- the only real difference between today and the halcyon days of record playing is the lack of truly good, cheap cartridges. In 1979 or so, the Grado FTE+ (more or less equivalent to today's Grado Black) was thirteen dollars. I bought one for my parents way back when -- a very good cartridge then (and still a good sounding one now to my ears). The conical stylus Grado of the same era (FCR+, I believe, was the model) was nine dollars.

I mean, one could invoke inflation and say that $13 then had the buying power of $46.58 today (https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm), but the CPI doesn't really do a very good job of estimating price over time for electronics :)

13434720275_9b6e7e785a_b.jpgGrado stylus pull3 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • DaveHo
    Options
    msg wrote: »

The 440mla tracks like no other at it's price point. I've tried a few others, but could never get rid of IGD until I tried the AT. I will upgrade the table/cart at some point, but not now. That's part of the reason I'd like a flexible pre, future proof. I don't think the current table is worthy of a more expensive cart.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,013
    Options
    @DaveHo : I have a Schiit Mani gathering dust if you want to try it. They are known for RFI issues, but if you're clear of any nearby FM transmitters, it might be worth a try. I didn't realize I was that close to a transmitter, but apparently I am! PM me if interested.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    That lounge audio LCR is awesome! It sounds way better than it should for the measly 300 it costs. And the build is solid.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,013
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    That lounge audio LCR is awesome! It sounds way better than it should for the measly 300 it costs. And the build is solid.
    It has some informed fans on the vinylengine forum as well, and that's a good thing. I am pleased with my investment in my Pro-ject PhonoBox DS+, but I would not hesitate to try the Lounge Audio if the opportunity presented itself.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I sold it, and kicking myself to this day for not keeping it. My EE is much better, but that lounge would have been one heck of a backup.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    FWIW I found myself looking for a pre due to the the Denon receivers phono section sounding like the .40 cents it was worth. I tried the Bellari. https://www.musicdirect.com/phono-preamps/bellari-vp130-tube-phono-preamp
    It did sound pretty good but was more than I needed. Option wise and price.

I wound up with the NAD PP2.
    https://nadelectronics.com/products/all-amplifiers/pre-amplifiers/

I was really impressed with this budget phono pre. No frills, no adjustments just very good sound with plenty of gain. I am upgrading this to the NAD pp4 with the USB out so I can copy some records. It should have been in last week but...

Just a thought for a nice sounding phono pre well within the price range.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    Options
    I have not tried the iFi iPhono but some of the reviews make it interesting.
    https://analogplanet.com/content/whats-8500-cartridge-doing-place-399-ifi-iphono-phono-preamplifier
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Options
    I have a Lounge Audio LCR that I use for backup duty. Like the others have said, it offers great bang for the buck and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

If you are willing to change your mind on a used unit, I highly, highly recommend a Jolida JD-9. They sound good stock, but can be taken way up the latter with relatively easy and inexpensive mods. They are very adjustable and compatible with virtually any cartridge out there should you decide to experiment with different cartridges in the future. Read up on the DYI articles on modifying this unit. I and others here on the board can verify the glowing reviews of modded JD-9s are very much spot-on.