Speakers with Ribbon Tweeters

2»

Comments

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,950
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat as Paul... wanting some speakers with ribbons. So, I've been looking and listening to what I can.
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,667
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS -- no interest in electrostatics? ;)

Actually, something like the Martin Logan ESL's might work in my space.

Having never owned electrostats. Is there anything a buyer would need to be concerned about?

Do those panels go bad? Are they finicky? Pets/kids and issue?
  • polkfarmboypolkfarmboy Posts: 5,714
    Panels are great , crappy gear is what puts people off them. Your good in that department so just be sure to slide them out from the wall and best to have 4 walls to get the best out of them but they sound awesome regardless.

I have a pair of Theo's I am selling I purchased from a martin Logan forum member that I would let go for $2300. I would advise you to spend another 4 to 5 grand on top of that if you want larger panels if you have a really big listening room.

You cannot smoke around the panels and you need to get out the vac and suck em off every two weeks. You can't have a 20000 gallon fish tank evaporating water next to them. From flipping I have had some speakers come in that look great but the panels had lost a lot of detail and that's just from neglect and low maintenance. If you dont know you would not notice but I can tell right away as the volume has this slightly muted characteristic.

If you have tube equipment then its audio crack for the ears as the combination from tubes and panels sounds better than anything I hàve ever heard.

If you have tube equipment then its audio crack for the ears as the combination from tubes and panels sounds better than anything I hàve ever heard.
    We never forget the first time....
    I will never forget in my 20's the first time I listened to top ML's powered by tube monoblocks playing vinyl! It was like the musicians were in the room when I closed my eyes.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 794
    Funnily enough - the Zapf Audio link was provided on the first reply to the original post in this thread.

Even funnier, the links did now show up on your post when I posted about Zaph, but now they do. A forum Glitch maybe?
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 15,908
    WLDock wrote: »
    We never forget the first time....
    I will never forget in my 20's the first time I listened to top ML's powered by tube monoblocks playing vinyl! It was like the musicians were in the room when I closed my eyes.

Audio Research on Tympani Mk IV at the Magnepan factory sound room in White Bear Lake. Still the best sound I have ever heard.
    Audio Research on Tympani Mk IV at the Magnepan factory sound room in White Bear Lake. Still the best sound I have ever heard.
    Sounds heavenly...I've listened to very few Magnepan systems and really should listen to more given the used prices.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 27,215
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    PS -- no interest in electrostatics? ;)

Actually, something like the Martin Logan ESL's might work in my space.

Having never owned electrostats. Is there anything a buyer would need to be concerned about?

Do those panels go bad? Are they finicky? Pets/kids and issue?

To they go bad ? Yes
    Finicky ? Can be
    Pets/kid issues- absolutely

With panels, smoke and dust can be an issue. Dogs that shed a lot also. Cats with claws. If they are placed in the open close to your kitchen, grease will destroy them.

Panels need a dedicated room, no smoking, kids with prying fingers throwing toys around, or pet hair that can accumulate. Not if you want them to last anyway.
2»