Speakers with Ribbon Tweeters

2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Funnily enough - the Zapf Audio link was provided on the first reply to the original post in this thread.

Even funnier, the links did now show up on your post when I posted about Zaph, but now they do. A forum Glitch maybe?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    WLDock wrote: »
    If you have tube equipment then its audio crack for the ears as the combination from tubes and panels sounds better than anything I hàve ever heard.
    We never forget the first time....
    I will never forget in my 20's the first time I listened to top ML's powered by tube monoblocks playing vinyl! It was like the musicians were in the room when I closed my eyes.

Audio Research on Tympani Mk IV at the Magnepan factory sound room in White Bear Lake. Still the best sound I have ever heard.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Audio Research on Tympani Mk IV at the Magnepan factory sound room in White Bear Lake. Still the best sound I have ever heard.
    Sounds heavenly...I've listened to very few Magnepan systems and really should listen to more given the used prices.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    PS -- no interest in electrostatics? ;)

Actually, something like the Martin Logan ESL's might work in my space.

Having never owned electrostats. Is there anything a buyer would need to be concerned about?

Do those panels go bad? Are they finicky? Pets/kids and issue?

To they go bad ? Yes
    Finicky ? Can be
    Pets/kid issues- absolutely

With panels, smoke and dust can be an issue. Dogs that shed a lot also. Cats with claws. If they are placed in the open close to your kitchen, grease will destroy them.

Panels need a dedicated room, no smoking, kids with prying fingers throwing toys around, or pet hair that can accumulate. Not if you want them to last anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • aboroth00
    aboroth00 Posts: 1,103
    Any updates on the ribbon search?

I've been a big fan of ribbons ever since I dabbled in the original Infinity Kappa's with the Emit-k. Then I had a progression of speakers with ribbon tweeters which include the Kappa 6.1 with the Emit-R then the Infinity Renaissance with the HE-Emit. Then modern ribbons with the Selah Tanzanite with a Fountek and now with the Tempesta with a Raal. In my opinion, the modern ribbons sound better and don't suffer from the poor dispersion and inability to be crossed low enough with the mid driver. I haven't had a very nice modern dome (beryllium or diamond or what have you) in my setup yet but domes have their advantages but ribbons also sound very nice.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I'm keeping them on my radar for now. I moved the LS90's back into my main system and keeping the grills off. They sound so much better this way and I'm gonna stick with them for awhile.

I'm going to keep my eyes out, though, and build my budget which seems like it would be the right move.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Carver Silver Amazings...rebuilt crossovers...refoamed woofers and rebuilt ribbons. WHAT...ya, ribbons. 4' long x2.

Magic...

And...what's that? They are for sale?

Hmmm....
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    I heard the Martin Logan Motion 40's at Magnolia once. Was there to audition Electromotions. To my ears they were unremarkable, but it could have been how they were set up, also.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • aboroth00
    ROHfan wrote: »
    I heard the Martin Logan Motion 40's at Magnolia once. Was there to audition Electromotions. To my ears they were unremarkable, but it could have been how they were set up, also.

Folded ribbons are a little different than conventional ribbons. I believe ML uses an air motion transformer (AMT) instead a flat piece of ribbon.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    aboroth00 wrote: »
    ROHfan wrote: »

Folded ribbons are a little different than conventional ribbons. I believe ML uses an air motion transformer (AMT) instead a flat piece of ribbon.

That might be similar to what the GoldenEar's have. That sounds like what I've read.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2017
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    RAAL,RAAL,RAAL. I have not heard them but they are much admired by the DIY loudspeaker guys.

The best ribbons I have ever heard were from a now defunct small company from Texas called Clements. Their RT7 and Little D models utilized a proprietary 7" ribbon mated to a transmission line woofer section. They had incredible speed and transparency.
  • aboroth00
    edited June 2017
    I have a speaker with a RAAL. They're very nice, but they're not like omgosh super mindblowing sell your house to get a pair.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    I'm partial to my Ascend Sierra 2's. The towers are amazing but were a bit out of my price range. Their Sierra 1's sounded incredible ... right up until I heard the RAAL ribbons. Open, airy and very detailed. Works for me.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    I have a speaker with a RAAL. They're very nice, but they're not like omgosh super mindblowing sell your house to get a pair.
    Now the million-dollar question. What speakers / tweeter would you consider mind blowing?

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2017
    FTGV wrote: »
    RAAL,RAAL,RAAL. I have not heard them but they are much admired by the DIY loudspeaker guys.

I love my RAAL tweeters. Of course, they have detractors and haters.

The thing about the RAAL or any tweeter is how well it is matched to the mid driver. Get the mid-range wrong, and that speaker will not be enjoyable. Salk addresses mid-range nicely without forgetting about the other stuff. Dennis Murphy does xovers very, very well.

I drove 12 hours RT to the Salk factory to get my SoundScape 8 speakers with RAAL's. ;) Got a factory tour, a look in the $$ veneer $$ vault, met the guys who built and finished them. Wife came with, nice time. Mine are in custom finish, Black Limba.

Some SS8 owners have jumped ship to the Salk Exotica 3 with Alnico magnet equipped Seas Exotic T35 tweeter and Seas Exotic W8 mids. I listed to them for a bit at a show, stayed with the SS8.

http://www.salksound.com/gallery/SoundScape 8/SS8-blacklimba.jpg4jtzd33rkejw.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • aboroth00
    WLDock wrote: »
    Now the million-dollar question. What speakers / tweeter would you consider mind blowing?

That is actually a pretty darn good question that I never really contemplated as of late. Of course my original post was intentionally facetious. I don't think there is a speaker/tweeter out there that is truly mindblowing in as much a combination of the right speaker for the right room. I know this is sort of a cop-out answer. When I had a Fountek ribbon tweeter, I thought it was still pretty darn good, not nearly as good as the RAAL but noticeably so.

I believe speaker tech is so advanced today that for the most part, most manufacturers churn out pretty darn good speakers I could see myself living with in the long term. IMHO, correct implementation of a speaker within a room is more important to yield a mind blowing experience than the speaker alone. That being said, I'm still looking for a mind blowing room ;).
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    FTGV wrote: »

I love my RAAL tweeters. Of course, they have detractors and haters.

The thing about the RAAL or any tweeter is how well it is matched to the mid driver. Get the mid-range wrong, and that speaker will not be enjoyable. Salk addresses mid-range nicely without forgetting about the other stuff. Dennis Murphy does xovers very, very well.

I drove 12 hours RT to the Salk factory to get my SoundScape 8 speakers with RAAL's. ;) Got a factory tour, a look in the $$ veneer $$ vault, met the guys who built and finished them. Wife came with, nice time. Mine are in custom finish, Black Limba.

Some SS8 owners have jumped ship to the Salk Exotica 3 with Alnico magnet equipped Seas Exotic T35 tweeter and Seas Exotic W8 mids. I listed to them for a bit at a show, stayed with the SS8.

100% agree with Rich. Complimenting with the other drivers is crucial along with the associated electronics, placement and the room. The RAAL with the accuton midrange are just pleasant and sweetness to my hears. Also preference plays an important part depending on the person as Rich mentioned.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • aboroth00
    DSkip wrote: »
    The only 'full' ribbon tweeter implementation I've heard that I liked was Evolution Acoustics that also pairs with custom Accuton woofers - the MMMicroOne I mentioned earlier. It could be that there is something to this pairing that just works better than other woofer materials.

I was actually trying to listen to a pair at a local dealer showroom. I think it was the Evo Acoustic mmThree with an aurum cantus ribbon and accuton mids. But alas, they didn't have it hooked up and the guy was new so no demo. I'll probably head back another time to get a listen.
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Doing research recently, the RAAL 70-20XR seems to be pretty impressive. I'll find out for sure in a few weeks...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • i had two way speakers with the RAAL 70-20XR tweeter and ended up selling them. they just didn't have that leading edge that cuts through the air like i hear w/ dome tweeters.
    Music Hall MMF-2.2 > Musical Fidelity V-LPS 2 or NAD C 516BEE > Emotiva XSP-1 G2 > Emotiva UPA-1 (x2) > vintage Polk Audio monitor 7c TL modded w/ Sonicaps and mills & RD0-198’s
  • the speakers w/ the RAAL 70-20XR were smooth and all and had the most natural sound i have heard come out of a speaker, but without that leading edge i felt like there was some part of the information that was missing.
    Music Hall MMF-2.2 > Musical Fidelity V-LPS 2 or NAD C 516BEE > Emotiva XSP-1 G2 > Emotiva UPA-1 (x2) > vintage Polk Audio monitor 7c TL modded w/ Sonicaps and mills & RD0-198’s
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156