2»

Comments

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited August 2017
    Options
    mpitogo wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-amping_and_tri-amping

So in essence what manufacturers do by putting in two sets of binding posts with a jumper and leaving the passive crossover in place is asinine. Why do they even do it! marketing?

Bingo!
    They found out people think it is some worthy feature, and now most all speakers must have dual binding posts.

Then they created a market to connect the Top and bottom posts together with a fancy wire, which is also marketing also, as you could save all the aggravation and simply solder both the high and low connections to ONE binding post pair (internally) and eliminate one set of connections.....and the jumper needed to connect them.

Simple usually is better.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    They are there to give people options, to passively bi-amp or use bi-wire speaker cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DanInNaperville
    Options
    I have a 6015 and it’s bi-amped to my LSIm towers. The receiver’s power supply is good for about 600 watts continuously and probably twice that (driven by stored energy in the PS capacitors) for a second or so.
    The receiver has 9 discrete amplifiers that regulate the current supplied by that power supply. The English term for tubes, valves, is a partial analogy. Each of those amps can “throttle” up to 110 watts cleanly, about 140 fairly cleanly, and a little over 200 while introducing a lot of noise. By using two of those amps for each of my speakers (that are rated for 250 watts, continuous) I can provide the power they need.
    Remember that even though the 6015’s power supply can easily provide a very clean 500 watts to my towers, the individual amps cannot.
    Beyond that, speakers are somewhat reactive loads, and by limiting the range of frequency based impedance varying load being fed back to the transistors in the amps, it lets them produce a slightly cleaner signal.
    Obviously, most of the benefits will come when most of the signal is going to the two towers, which it usually is, especially when listening to music.
    Bi-amping from an AVR can be very beneficial.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have a 6015 and it’s bi-amped to my LSIm towers.

What is a 6015?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

What is a 6015?

I’m assuming that’s a Marantz SR6015 avr…
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

What is a 6015?

I’m assuming that’s a Marantz SR6015 avr…

I too was wondering.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    I agree it is better to use high quality jumpers and suitable high quality amplification to drive speakers rather than bi-amplify.

This, all the more, when discussing simple two-way bookies. Why would anyone NEED (italics) their midrange and highs driven by separate amplifiers?… or worse yet, different amplifiers?!

CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Except you aren't bi-amping. You're robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,205
    Options
    What if no one likes Peter, but you're good buddies with Paul?
  • DanInNaperville
    Options
    Sort I wasn’t clear - It’s a Marantz SR 6015 receiver.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Hermitism wrote: »
    What if no one likes Peter, but you're good buddies with Paul?

mpil50ddxx40.png
  • DanInNaperville
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

No, I am not. A power supply that can easily supply 500 watts of very clean power cannot deliver much more than half of that to two speakers through two amplifiers that distort beyond 110-140.

And there is the further issue of all speakers having non-linear impedance.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,585
    edited December 2021
    Options

No, I am not. A power supply that can easily supply 500 watts of very clean power cannot deliver much more than half of that to two speakers through two amplifiers that distort beyond 110-140.

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.05% 2ch Drive) 110 W per Marantz

Years ago they used to give the spec's on 5 or 7 channels driven. They no longer do that because it would show that the rated power dropped, sometimes dramatically. Many that were rated at 120wpc x 5 or 7 would show a drop to the 40-50 wpc range. As you can see Marantz has only rated that one to provide 110 wpc at only 2 channels driven. Granted they do show a 20Hz-20kHz which is a solid rating. Most only show they can provide the rated spec at only 1kHz which means it usually couldn't make the rated output at a 20Hz-20kHz bandwidth.

The power supply and filter caps are the most EXPENSIVE part of the amp or receiver. Many receivers have dropped in weight yet still profess to be able to make the same power. Unless it is a class D design you cannot drop weight in the iron and storage caps in the power supply and still get the same results in a class AB design, you may be able to in short burst but cannot sustain the WPC over 5 or seven channels which you are asking it to do by the "Bi-Amp" thing.

Do you think that by "Bi-amping" you are now getting 220 wpc to your speakers? How can you if the company itself states that it can ONLY supply 110 WPC for only 2 channels?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options

You have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Even with multiple amps and an active crossover, most people do it for more than just the added power. They biamp to use an amp on the mid-range/ tweeters that sounds better for that application and an amp that works better for the low frequencies. Your not going to gain any of that with an AVR.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I have a 6015 and it’s bi-amped to my LSIm towers. The receiver’s power supply is good for about 600 watts continuously and probably twice that (driven by stored energy in the PS capacitors) for a second or so.
    The receiver has 9 discrete amplifiers that regulate the current supplied by that power supply. The English term for tubes, valves, is a partial analogy. Each of those amps can “throttle” up to 110 watts cleanly, about 140 fairly cleanly, and a little over 200 while introducing a lot of noise. By using two of those amps for each of my speakers (that are rated for 250 watts, continuous) I can provide the power they need.
    Remember that even though the 6015’s power supply can easily provide a very clean 500 watts to my towers, the individual amps cannot.
    Beyond that, speakers are somewhat reactive loads, and by limiting the range of frequency based impedance varying load being fed back to the transistors in the amps, it lets them produce a slightly cleaner signal.
    Obviously, most of the benefits will come when most of the signal is going to the two towers, which it usually is, especially when listening to music.

I would love to break this down line by line and explain why your wrong, but most of us get a bit tired of repeating ourselves all the time. Soo, I'll just suggest you get your read on, do a tad bit more research about power supplies and how they work, or don't work, especially the ones in receivers. Also, for future reference, speakers really don't run on watts persay, they run on current, and you'd be hard pressed to find that number in any receivers spec.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable