Help me understand

Options

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    If you refresh the crossover the bass will be back. I have my upgraded 5B's in a smallish bedroom/office. I can rattle the closet doors. You won't need the 2nd set of crossover to go back to dried up stock parts.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 744
    Options
    I think the 5B's have better bass compared to the A's. Hopefully I get more back too. Thanks.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    To you Dreadnought'ers - why am I hearing it is hard to get the 1000A Avellindberg transformer? Is that a fact? I glanced at the website and I see no indication of that...
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • heiney9
    Options
    It's special order, minimum of 10 units. We just did a third group order about 5 weeks ago.

I would bet perhaps a few will put theirs up for sale eventually. The 800vA version for audio is excellent and available.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    To you Dreadnought'ers - why am I hearing it is hard to get the 1000A Avellindberg transformer? Is that a fact? I glanced at the website and I see no indication of that...

It's not on their site.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stones89
    Options
    gotit, thanks
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    Options

We should start calling the upgraded speakers Plus models. Modding and upgrading sounds like we are destroying the originals, when in reality, we are taking the speakers to a level that was intended by Matt and the other designers from the very beginning.

Very well said. Many of the mods listed here are recognized and endorsed by the Polk design team. The company states clearly that corners were cut to bring an affordable product to market per the Polk SDA Handbook and recommend upgrades to counter them.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    crashb4 wrote: »
    We should start calling the upgraded speakers Plus models. Modding and upgrading sounds like we are destroying the originals, when in reality, we are taking the speakers to a level that was intended by Matt and the other designers from the very beginning.

Very well said. Many of the mods listed here are recognized and endorsed by the Polk design team. The company states clearly that corners were cut to bring an affordable product to market per the Polk SDA Handbook and recommend upgrades to counter them.

Maybe relatively affordable since the originals would be $6000 today figuring inflation.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2017
    Options

Yet at the time, they were advertised as the "No Compromise Flagship model".

• heiney9
    edited March 2017
    Options
    K_M wrote: »

And Emotiva markets its gear as "Reference Standard", what's your point? They may have been "flagship" models 20-30 years ago.

The Chrysler Cordoba was a class leading luxury car in the late 70's. It only qualifies as a paper weight today. Taking things out of context (a trait you seem familiar with) will always make it appear more flawed than it was.

Apples to apples, etc.

H9

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chrysler Cordoba ? LOL! It was always a hideous POS.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    TForan wrote: »

I don't think the SRS line would have been marketed as cost no object speakers even if the sides had been covered in fine Corinthian leather and pitched by Ricardo Montalban. They were Reference models for the company at the time they were made for the money they charged. Polk is and was always about good value for the money.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options

Hey now I had one with a 440 and 4bbl carburetor. That thing flew down the highway. back to topic :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Hey now I had one with a 440 and 4bbl carburetor. That thing flew down the highway. back to topic :D

A weak 400 ci was as good as it got in Cordoba world.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options

Yeah, but it had "corinthian leather"
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Yeah, but it had "corinthian leather"

shaggin' wagon
    scigpnvobuy7.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • stones89
    Options

Maybe, but as I have said the 2.3tl is a musical speaker in stock form. Put some really good components upstream and it is still musical. Not sure that's the speaker I want to squeeze out more resolution with mods.

The original Polk team may have cut corners but did they ever build a statement SRS SDA speaker using top shelf at the time, caps, inductors, etc.. in that box?

More knowledgeable Polkies would know better than I. I believe I would need another 2.3tl to experiment rather than modify mine.

• K_M
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

And Emotiva markets its gear as "Reference Standard", what's your point? They may have been "flagship" models 20-30 years ago.

The Chrysler Cordoba was a class leading luxury car in the late 70's. It only qualifies as a paper weight today. Taking things out of context (a trait you seem familiar with) will always make it appear more flawed than it was.

Apples to apples, etc.

H9

They advertised them as a "No compromise flagship model"

"The company states clearly that corners were cut"...........

See that is what we term a contradiction. The advertising said one thing.....and then the same company says "Clearly corners were cut"

Has nothing to do with when they said it, has to do with they said things that are diametrically opposing views. Get it now?

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited March 2017
    Options
    K_M you must be a blast at parties

Seems like all you do around here is hover around and just wait till you can start knit-picking threads.

Seems like you have not much to say in any positive manners, and always harping on the negatives

Just curious why your always looking for glass' half empty and never half full

https://youtu.be/hiu1wfHSU1w
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options
    Personality disorder comes to mind.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    stones89, if you ever mod yours you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. You can take that to the bank.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »

Maybe, but as I have said the 2.3tl is a musical speaker in stock form. Put some really good components upstream and it is still musical. Not sure that's the speaker I want to squeeze out more resolution with mods.

The original Polk team may have cut corners but did they ever build a statement SRS SDA speaker using top shelf at the time, caps, inductors, etc.. in that box?

More knowledgeable Polkies would know better than I. I believe I would need another 2.3tl to experiment rather than modify mine.

I thought the same this as you do about my 2.3tls I had. I moved on from them to Magnepan for a while.... until I heard my 2.3TL!s in modded form. They blew my mind to the point that I immediately began searching for my current pair of 1.2TL's. I did not even plug them in before I did the crossovers, tweeters, Armacell, Larrys rings and XO plate.

I promise you that if you do not mod them, you will be happy for a time, but then you will move on. The problem is the speakers you have are 30 years old now. There is not a single component in those crossovers that are still within specification of what they were new. Those components are failing bigly nad need to be replaced in order to prevent damage to the speakers or the amplifier tasked with driving them, the upgrade is really nothing more than replacing failed or failing parts with parts of higher quality than what is there already, using the same values that were used originally.

If you do upgrade them, not only will you hear what the speakers were capable of to begin with, you will also not be able to find anything that will come close. If you provide me the parts, I will build them for you for free. They will be plug and play ready. You can swap them out and hear the difference for yourself. If you like the old ones better, resell the new XO' here on the forum. You won't lose a dime.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    Talk about an offer you can't refuse.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Very nice of you John, OP should have a no brainer on his hands.

BTW....had a Cordoba myself, P.O.S. Dog that kept breaking down, but the interior was nice. Loved my many Riviera's though from back then.

KM,
    Seriously....did you really expect Polk, or any other company to advertise "cutting corners" ? Do receiver manufacturers advertise cutting corners ? Any product for that matter ? Every product, audio related or not, is produced to a price point.

The disconnect is people who swallow marketing hype hook line and sinker.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,583
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

A weak 400 ci was as good as it got in Cordoba world.

Well yes unless you pulled it and the tranny out of an old police car. Did i state in my post that it was stock??? Nope.
  • K_M
    edited March 2017
    Options
  • K_M
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    KM,
    Seriously....did you really expect Polk, or any other company to advertise "cutting corners" ? Do receiver manufacturers advertise cutting corners ? Any product for that matter ? Every product, audio related or not, is produced to a price point.

The disconnect is people who swallow marketing hype hook line and sinker.

Ya think? And that there is why it was so funny....I guess we agree!
  • K_M
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    K_M you must be a blast at parties

Seems like all you do around here is hover around and just wait till you can start knit-picking threads.

"Nit picking" you mean.... ;)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Oh look...passive aggressive queen is at it again!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • K_M
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Oh look...passive aggressive queen is at it again!

Naw, you guys simply have no sense of humor.