Modern Polks to replace a vintage pair of Monitor 7As

Options
Hey Everyone,

I grew up listening to all kinds of music, (classical, jazz, rock, electronic, etc) on my Dad's Monitor 7As w/ Peerless tweeters, and gladly took them off his hands when I moved out and he no longer wanted them. Unfortunately, time, humidity, and several cross-country moves have not been kind to them, and I find I can't give them the TLC they deserve.

I'm thinking it might be time to look at something more modern, but I must admit to being baffled by all the different speakers Polk currently has to offer, at overlapping price points.

As a long time Polk fan, I'm sure a lot has changed in speaker design since the Monitor 7s, but what series and price point should I be looking at if I wanted something comparable? My primary goal is to have a nice versatile floor-standing stereo pair for music, and maybe grab a center (and a couple rears?) down the road to round out an HT setup.

I greatly appreciate any insight anyone can provide!

Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Hi Dave, You should check out the Signature Series for a versatile music/HT speaker system that gives you classic Polk sound in a beautiful package.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • HzTweaker
    Options
    I agree with cfrizz. If your looking for a modern Polk with a similar size/foot print as the 7s and that are as versatile musically I would suggest the Signature S20s. They are BEAST!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Absolutely agree w/ cfrizz & HzTweaker - based on what I've seen and read, the Signature Series is a great place to start looking for a new pair of Polk speakers. If you buy them from Crutchfield you get free shipping & 60 days to audition them in your home - which is better than listening to them in a store IMHO.

Good luck!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Are you in Colorado? I'll take the M7s off your hands. :smiley:
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    M7's are sweet.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    M7's are sweet.

Nah, they're no good. Time to get rid of those ol' girls and move on. Unless you don't live in Colorado. Then I'd suggest putting the money for new speakers into the M7's.

• DaveOrAstroDave
    Options
    M7's are sweet.
    I concur, wholeheartedly!
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Nah, they're no good. Time to get rid of those ol' girls and move on. Unless you don't live in Colorado. Then I'd suggest putting the money for new speakers into the M7's.
    ;-)
    I'm in California, I'm afraid. I gave them a complete overhaul almost 10 years ago; but unfortunately the cabs had some moisture damage. At the time, I did my best to strip 'em down, sand & fill the damaged particle board to bring them back into square, and re-veneer them but I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with the resulting appearance. The last time I used them they sounded fantastic, but they took some damage in my last move (wire terminals snapped off by movers somehow). If I had the time & space, I'd be giving them overhaul round 2.
  • DaveOrAstroDave
    Options
    cfrizz, HzTweaker, and halo - I appreciate the advice! I'll take a serious look at the Signature series. I'm curious about the merits of the port on the bottom vs the 12" passive radiator in the 7s. But I guess Polk moved away from using large passives a long time ago...
  • Nightfall
    Options
    10" passive radiator, I believe.

• DaveOrAstroDave
    Options
    You're right. My memory failed me.
  • DaveOrAstroDave
    Options
    @la2vegas San Francisco. Been in the bay area for almost 6 years now. Before that, I spent several years just outside DC.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,803
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'll take a PR over an open port any day and twice in Sunday.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,047
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'll take a PR over an open port any day and twice in Sunday.

I knew there was something I liked about this guy.
  • DaveOrAstroDave
    Options
    All the M7 & PR love is giving me some second thoughts about moving onto something new...
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Good idea.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, I was just going to say you could buy another pair of M7's.
    If you weren't in another country, I have some in my closet collecting
    dust...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I loved my old speakers too, but it was time to move on and I'm glad I did.

The S60's puts out a wide, immersive soundstage but doesn't take up a lot of room. The have the good old Polk sound but have been updated to fit in todays décor and room sizes.

Give them a listen, I think you will be very surprised and happy with what you hear and see.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    I think you should consider the new Signature Series based on the stated use of HT with multiple speakers, etc. The M7's are no slouch and refreshed are a great speaker.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DaveOrAstroDave
    Options
    @cfrizz I will give them a listen; at this point, my curiosity is definitely piqued. Thanks!