SDA2b's one side acts like it has only one wire hooked up

Options
Switched wires around and the left speaker still has the issue, so it is not the amp or the wires, Our cat destroyed the tweeter on the speaker, (new one on the way), There is slight sound coming out of the other drivers, but acts like there is only one speaker wire hooked up. New wires and banana clips installed and they are in proper phase. Will the fact that the tweeter trashed cause this?

Best Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,634
    edited January 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Push in on the 6.5" woofers of the affected speaker slowly. To the best of your ability keep push centered. Do you feel scratchiness? If so you may have a shifted magnet which is pinching the voice coil.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    edited January 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    Without the tweeter working it will sound like you described. You can verify this by putting the tweeter from your right speaker in the left one.

If you only ordered one new RD0194-1 you should have ordered two as they sound different/much better than the original SL2000.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Answer ✓
    Options
    With a dead tweeter the speaker will sound faint/muffled.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Welcome to the forum @rgmod! I love my 2Bs as they are great speakers. Stay around for a while and get your learn on!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Answers

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I'm confused. You either have a completed circuit or you don't, there's no instance where an incomplete circuit would result in SOME sound coming through but not all.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    With a dead tweeter the speaker will sound faint/muffled.

I get that I'm just confused why you'd describe that as "acting like it has one wire hooked up". If you only had one of the leads connected to the back of your speaker you'd have zero sound.

• F1nut
    Options
    Ah, that's because the OP doesn't know how to describe what he hears in the proper terms.

President of Club Polk

• rgmod
    rgmod Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you for you replies, F1nut you are correct in saying that I am not able to described the actions in terms you are all accustomed to, but that being said, disconnect the black terminal wire from the good right channel speaker and that is the sound coming from the effected left channel speaker. There is sound eliminating with just the red/ positive wire attached . I will wait on the new tweeter to try as it will be here by the end of the week. I did not get the updated tweeter as I found a new old stock SL2000 for cheap. I have had these SDA-2B's for years, using them for 2 channel vinyl and HT. I love them and will not give up on them even if it means tearing them down to find the problem and or updating them. I live a couple of miles from audio classics, and if need recapping them etc. Thanks for helping a newby.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    rgmod wrote: »
    I love them and will not give up on them even if it means tearing them down to find the problem and or updating them.

They're worth every dollar from your wallet. B)

• rgmod
    rgmod Posts: 6
    Options
    Update- replaced tweeter and full range of sound is back, even the bass that was lost