New DAC??? Advice?

Options
halo
halo Posts: 5,616
I am thinking about adding a DAC to the mix in my 2-Channel setup.

I've narrowed it down to a few contenders:

essence HDACC

Jolida FX DAC III

Musical Fidelity M1

I'm looking to increase the soundstage width, depth, and height. This will be between the ELAC Discovery music server & the Parasound P5.

I had been using the built-in DAC in the P5 & I thought it was doing fine. After a little research, it appears that the built-in DAC in the P5 isn't very well regarded.

I had the essence HDACC previously so I know what it brings to the table and it is very good. I missed out on two previously owned units.

I had a Jolida Fusion Preamplifier and it too was very good. Long ago, I had a Jolida tube CDP and it was good as well. The only issue with the Jolida is that I will have to purchase a pair of tubes to replace the stock Russian made tubes.

I have no personal experience with the Musical Fidelity.

Any advice is welcome!
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My brother has the m1 and he likes it. I have heard it and while I have not compared it in my system against my Emm, I believe it is a solid sounding unit.

If was still in Chicago I would loan you my emm but I'm kinda far
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I still have my m1 dac it is a very good choice. The Cary 306 dac is better though.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I picked up an M1. We'll see how it pairs with the rest of my setup. Thanks & @KennethSwauger please close this thread.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,188
    Options
    I got the m1dac for free from my dad. Looking forward to reading your impressions of it. I really like mine
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius