Name your favorite Christmas Albums

Options
My favorite time of year, and I love my dusting off my holiday vinyl collection. So I'm curios what are your all time favorites?

For me it's Ella & Louis, Brenda Lee, Conway Twitty...
Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The Beatles flexi-discs for fans
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Ba humbug
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bruce Cockburn Christmas.

51CkXgFB5XL.jpg

No "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" but imaginative and gorgeous/gorgeously played arrangements of a bevy of Christian Christmas music, some a bit out of the ordinary.

Even if one is a confirmed atheist and/or just generally hates "Christmas Music", I'd encourage one to take a chance on a little listen to this album.
    It sounds great, too!

Here's a taste, YT-style:

We have a nigh-on obscene amount of "Holiday Music" at the Hardy household; we love it all.

I have some other big favorite albums, they tend towards the obscure.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I like it!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Christopher Lee "A Heavy Metal Christmas" Yeah, the guy that played Sauron in Lord of the Rings. Very cool to see metal fans of all ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVzOve8T39w
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    three other faves:

pretty much the whole history of Christmas music on one disc (the vinyl kind); simple but very nice arrangements and performances. Everyone needs some chant for Christmas; this album has a couple of 'em, and semi-obscure Christmas carols such as The Boar's Head Carol.

R-2477984-1286233892.jpeg.jpg

A promotional record from my father's radio days (ca.1957); a bunch of tracks from a group of holiday recordings from Capitol Records with short spoken introductions by Fred Waring.

Christmas+Around+The+World-Smaller.jpg

Waring was a well-known chorus conductor and arranger; he is also the "Waring" of the "Waring blendor" :)

And finally (for this triumvirate), Canadian Gisele Mackenzie; oh-so-fifties.

gisele-mackenzie-christmas-with-gisele-1957-bonus-8592.jpg

It' ain't Christmas 'til you hear Too Fat for the Chimney, yes-siree-bob!

https://youtu.be/eqRecE-R4DI
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Grew up with this album, and still my favorite:
    dgn05qyhteva.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    That is a good one.

FWIW, I found an earlier Perry Como Christmas album with a more antique arrangement of "Home for the Holidays" some years back.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Does Tchaikovsky * Nut Cracker * count?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

yes. :)
    Any particular recording/performance?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Simon Rattle..Berlin Philharmonic
  • lightman1
    Options
    Ozawa in front of the Boston Symphony Orchestra.......
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    heh, we used to go see the Boston Ballet perform Nutcracker every December at the Wang Theatre when the kids were young. Not with the BSO, though :)

The first act is much fun; the full-on ballet part gets a little sleepy for a cultural Philistine like me.

Pretty good tuneage, though.
  • lightman1
    Options
    heh, we used to go see the Boston Ballet perform Nutcracker every December at the Wang Theatre when the kids were young. Not with the BSO, though :)

The first act is much fun; the full-on ballet part gets a little sleepy for a cultural Philistine like me.

Pretty good tuneage, though.

Turn in your snobbery card, Doc.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    yeah, I know. what're you gonna do, though, you know?

Time to break out the Tiny Tim Christmas album -- or something along those lines.
    Did Tiny Tim ever make a Christmas album? I'll bet he did.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

what Russ said and I've heard some Andre Previn too, which brings up some Arthur Fiedler Christmas music.. not a big classical fan except for some Christmas music or movie soundtracks ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • lightman1
    Options
    yeah, I know. what're you gonna do, though, you know?

Time to break out the Tiny Tim Christmas album -- or something along those lines.
    Did Tiny Tim ever make a Christmas album? I'll bet he did.

Tip Toe Through the Poinsettia?????
  • lightman1
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

what Russ said and I've heard some Andre Previn too, which brings up some Arthur Fiedler Christmas music.. not a big classical fan except for some Christmas music or movie soundtracks ;)

Good call Darryl. Previn wore out the second and third movements. Tchaikovsky head banging! 19th century metal!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    One of my many Christmas faves! Also like several blues and jazz Christmas albums.9t63awboqp9e.jpg
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    That is a good one.

FWIW, I found an earlier Perry Como Christmas album with a more antique arrangement of "Home for the Holidays" some years back.
    I just realized, although I have that album, the one I grew up with is "Perry Como Sings Merry Christmas Music".
    I could tell by the track list. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, was spoken word.
    Track List:
    'Twas The Night Before Christmas
    The Twelve Days Of Christmas
    God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen
    C-h-r-i-s-t-m-a-s
    Joy To The World
    Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
    Frosty The Snowman
    The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas To You)
    That Christmas Feeling
    I’ll Be Home For Christmas
    Silent Night
    O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles)
    Jingle Bells
    White Christmas
    Winter Wonderland

a79yiitdugin.jpg

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    As a kid I couldn't wait till the Christmas season to listen to this album. I have been given my parents copy but it's quite beat up.v2psnodnp0t4.jpg

I purchased what I thought was the same album a couple of years ago

ude9xfjhzydo.jpg
    But this one had been remastered with Conway's granddaughter do the twitty birds voice. Sorry to say this little change just ruined the album. It's not that she did a bad job just not how I remembered it.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    51FR7KWYY4L.jpg
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    Never to be confused with Charlie Brown.3qdzmfo7ot3n.jpg
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Dean Martin Christmas
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Another great Christmas album. Although it's on CD.
    lk9ympbrvqch.png

• mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    A CD can be an album.

It's when the "album's" only existence is in the form of bit values floating around in some semiconductor cloud somewhere in the wastes of southwestern America that I find the use of the term a stretch.

-- and, of course (needless to say), it is my opinion in such matters that counts the most; it is the 21st Century.

;)

-- but I digress.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Aimee Mann "One More Drifter in the Snow"tp2mqw7ibnyj.jpg
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    8o0ei392ya9f.jpg

Not pure Christmas music, perhaps, but it is definitely Christmas season music.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    A close second to the above:

c5caw4ikakrm.jpg
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.