Magnifi One Soundbar turns on/off randomly...

Since I bought it (a year or so ago) my Magnifi One Soundbar will randomly turn itself on and off while I'm using it. I have it connected to my TV through an Optical cable and in the middle of watching something it will just decide to turn off and I have to manually turn it back on (and usually have to rewind whatever I'm watching a few seconds because I've missed something now). It's been doing this basically since I got it (don't know why I didn't return it... silly me!). Anyway, I've since resorted to just turning it off and not using it but that backfires because I'll be watching something (using my TV speakers) and out of nowhere the soundbar will turn itself on at MAX VOLUME and scare the crap out of me, my friends, even the poor dog will jump out of her bed, lol.
It's really bothering me now because I just got a new TV and for whatever reason, even when I turn off my TV, my cable box will still play it's audio through the soundbar, so I turn the soundbar off, HOWEVER, my soundbar will then, a few hours later, decide to turn itself on and last night it scared the crap out of me and my neighbours at 5am when it starts blaring the newscasters on TV at full volume... I had to resort to unplugging the thing at this point :(

Answers

• KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,018
    Hello,
    Welcome! I believe others have found that increasing the level of the signal coming into the bar cures this auto on/off problem.
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
  • RandiRandi Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Welcome! I believe others have found that increasing the level of the signal coming into the bar cures this auto on/off problem.

Thanks for the reply. How would one "increase the level of the signal"?
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,595
    Check for poltergeists.
  • RandiRandi Posts: 3
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Check for poltergeists.

that was my first instinct.
  • CchaplinCchaplin Posts: 3
    Increase level is not an answer.
  • Increase level of signal is your answer Kenneth? Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this POS, and your answer is a general "others have found that increasing the level of signal into the bar has cured this problem"? How about Polk address the actual issue with instructions to a real solution. Recall this thing if it's been so problematic. Give us a step by step "how to" if it's solvable. You have a lot of people having the same issues with the same model, and lame answers like that from a moderator that's no help at all. Kenneth, why don't you explain how one would increase the signal? I as well as others are using optical, but seems to be same issue with HDMI. How do we get this to work consistently? It's been better as a paperweight than for sound since I received it.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 480
    Oh my.

t9hxg7667i1v.jpg
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL
    Silk Audio MS38SE Tube Amp
    Yamaha DSP A-1 AV Amp
    Panasonic TC-P65S2 Plasma TV
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,018
    Hello,
    I can certainly understand your frustration, although that isn't an excuse for some of your comments. The best source for information concerning this problem is with Polk's CS department. I'll send your email address directly to someone who can help solve your problem.
    "Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available", G. Benfield
  • Ryan2004Ryan2004 Posts: 8
    Randi wrote: »
    Since I bought it (a year or so ago) my Magnifi One Soundbar will randomly turn itself on and off while I'm using it. I have it connected to my TV through an Optical cable and in the middle of watching something it will just decide to turn off and I have to manually turn it back on (and usually have to rewind whatever I'm watching a few seconds because I've missed something now). It's been doing this basically since I got it (don't know why I didn't return it... silly me!). Anyway, I've since resorted to just turning it off and not using it but that backfires because I'll be watching something (using my TV speakers) and out of nowhere the soundbar will turn itself on at MAX VOLUME and scare the crap out of me, my friends, even the poor dog will jump out of her bed, lol.
    It's really bothering me now because I just got a new TV and for whatever reason, even when I turn off my TV, my cable box will still play it's audio through the soundbar, so I turn the soundbar off, HOWEVER, my soundbar will then, a few hours later, decide to turn itself on and last night it scared the crap out of me and my neighbours at 5am when it starts blaring the newscasters on TV at full volume... I had to resort to unplugging the thing at this point :(

Try sonos