Early (1st) Version Monitor 10 Crossover Upgrade

Options
I want to upgrade the crossovers in my Monitor 10's. I have the early versions. Non paper cone, but am having issue with the parts i should use to replace the components in the crossovers. I've attached pics, and am open to any advice / suggestions!3mk97vkn1e6e.jpg
q0oqrwrkkefk.jpg

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,588
    Options
    wow pegboard and plywood have not seen those .....

most here use Sonicaps or Clarity caps with mills 12watt resistors and mundorf MOX 10 watt resistors.
    Just follow the values on the caps already there you should be fine.

You could also reach out to Dave (westmassguy) he has done many here for members top tier work.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    I do not believe the peg board/plywood is original.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited October 2016
    Options
    What are the burn marks on the right side of the pegboard? That crossover looks way sketchy.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,028
    Options
    If he can properly upgrade his crossovers with leftover parts from his garage, more power to him. ;)
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    It looks like a regular binding post cup/spool inductor, but the plywood and peg board are definitely not original. Are both crossovers the same?
    It should look something like this:
    cyyhbzheedy9.jpg
    e9j3ys9wq0vd.jpg
    abbeimg58f8h.jpg
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Unless these are the ones I sold awhile back I had an identical pair.They were all mounted on boards with no cup.I will look to see if I have any internal pics later.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Unless these are the ones I sold awhile back I had an identical pair.They were all mounted on boards with no cup.I will look to see if I have any internal pics later.
    Yeah, closer inspection, looks like the perf and plywood were screwed to the particle board underneath.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    What is the verdict on the crossover?
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• dkfreebird
    Options
    I found some of the external pics of the speakers and they appear to be the same ones I had according to the marks on the face of them.The back of the speakers had a square cut out on the back of them with screws for the speaker wires.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,340
    Options
    Could they have been prototypes? Or maybe someone decided to try their hand at crossover building?
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • hippierecords
    Options
    I'm not sure why i am not getting updates. I thought there were no comments on this. Just checked in today and noticed everyone had commented. I decided to not do anything with the crossovers yet. I opened my 7's up and decided they needed it first. So i put together a list to replace caps there first. The 10's still sound good. I just keep reading how they need to be updated. I'll do it later. dkfreebird are you in the DFW area?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    Those are indeed very early Model 10 loudspeakers! I wouldn't be surprised if the XOs might even be original...(?)
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    ^^ Yes I believe you got those and the Pioneer Sx3900 from me?
    I do believe they are all original,They looked like they had never been touched when I had them.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC