Sometimes Big Scores Come Cheap in Small Packages!

Options
I doubt that anybody else on the Forum cares a hoot about this little item I picked up off eBay the other day, but it is a bit of dream come true for me.

I'm a real fan of vintage, as well as current, Perreaux electronics. I have two of their mid-1980s amps, a PMF 3150 and a PMF 2350, a couple of preamps, and a tuner. (I also have current models of Perreaux's top-of-the line preamp and monoblocks.)

Perreaux equipment is, as the saying goes, "built like a tank." However, the 1980s amps have two weak spots, neither of which is a fatal flaw -- 1) the blue "on" indicator light tends to fail after about 20 years as does 2) the on/off switch, which is the same in each of the amps.

The larger amp, the PMF 3150, has had failures of both. A technician did the "work around" for me a few years ago: He substituted an LED for the failed blue diode, and he hard-wired the on/off switch in the "on" position so that I could put a single throw/three pole motor control switch in the power cord to turn the amp on and off.

The motor control switch works fine, but it irritates my aesthetic sense. I have yearned for a replacement switch, but never expected to find one because they have been out of production and out of stock for years.

But look what appeared on eBay a few days ago:

we6qungrfe75.jpg
75ko1fi22bww.jpg
hl5553y0ml8a.jpg

A "new/old stock OEM switch! :)

Even at $34.95 I consider it bargain to restore my old PMF 3150 closer to its original operating condition!

Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Those amps are some serious iron. Have you replaced any of the caps or the thermistors?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Those amps are some serious iron. Have you replaced any of the caps or the thermistors?

I've had both amps tested a couple of times over the past decade. The PMF 3150 has always tested "as new." The PMF 2350 had all new caps two years ago because there was a slight hum that needed to be addressed. Otherwise, it has always tested "as new."
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Moose68Bash
    Options
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Congrats M...

Thanks!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I figure you were supposed to have those.
    Nice pickup! :)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    Options
    Man, that's a good feeling, isn't it? Finally being able to restore an old favorite to OE spec, getting it working as intended? That's just the sort of thing I'd enjoy doing as well, and would catch myself repeatedly admiring the work afterward.

Congrats on the find.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Man, that's a good feeling, isn't it? Finally being able to restore an old favorite to OE spec, getting it working as intended? That's just the sort of thing I'd enjoy doing as well, and would catch myself repeatedly admiring the work afterward.

Congrats on the find.

Thank you. We all need some pure luck from time to time.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,804
    Options
    Gotta luv it!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• soundfreak1
    Options
    Moose68bash, how old are you? And how do I get in your will?
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    @soundfreak1,
    I'm 70, which is in all likelihood irrelevant because my wife is 10 years my younger. Besides, my daughters have first dibs! :)

• soundfreak1
    Options
    Rats! LOL.you got me on to Perreaux and I appreciate it.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Moose68Bash
    Options
    @soundfreak1,
    I just wish more folks in the US would try Perreaux products, vintage or new, because they don't know what they're missing -- fine performance and good value.