1.2TL vs 2.3 TL in a smaller room

Options
gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,759
edited July 2016 in Vintage Speakers
So I'm not really looking for another pair right now, but there are occasional listings for each of them, and if the timing was right, I would like to be more prepared in my decision.

My room is 13x28 with 8' ceiling, if this room is just way too small for the 1.2 then I may look elsewhere. However if it's still very listenable then maybe I will get in the hunt.

I just feel that with my love for the 2B, I believe at some time in my life I need to own either the 2.3 or 1.2. I don't think I will part with my 2B's, but I would like some opinions, good and bad, on these two speakers (1.2&2.3).

I have these 2B's sounding really good now, I can only imagine what I may possibly be missing

If I need to completely mod them, then that's fine...I at least want to find a pair in excellent condition.

Low and high asking prices I'm unsure of as well, not sure what's the norm.

All input appreciated.

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    That's a good size room. I think either would sound quite good. Room interaction could potentially be a problem, especially with the 1.2s. Depending on how the room is furnished, bass traps could be used to smooth things out.
    Don't discount the 3.1s as a step up from the 2Bs.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    The shape of the room could be a problem given that it is fairly narrow and long. If the large SDAs are along the short wall the 13 feet is about the bare minimum to have enough space around the sides of the speakers for the SDA effect to work best. If they are on the long wall, there is not much space available between the seating area and the speakers and the seating area may have to be pushed up against the back wall. Window and door locations would also have an effect. I agree with the above that room treatments would help. I have had both of the large speakers in a 12x24 foot room and bass loading and reflections were problems.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    Options
    My listening space is 19x15 and the big girls perform well.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I like big girls.
  • gmcman
    Options
    I do have some room treatments in the works, including some large bass traps but only have made up a few panels so far. The rig is on the long wall but in the left 1/3 of the room, still a good 6' from the left wall, only issue is the rear wall which is about 25-30" behind the sweet spot.

I can treat the room, but the height of the 1.2's may be an issue being so close to the ceiling...not sure if that takes away from it's signature sound.

My 2B's have come a long way and sound really good, at least to my ears but the detail they provide is leaps above when I purchased them. I don't know how they stack up to other 2B's, never heard any or the big sisters.

Also, if someone has some time to kill and wants to swing by and give me an honest opinion that's heard the 2.3 or 1.2's feel free, I'll provide the beer and pizza. Not sure how many are in the NOVA area but you're welcome to stop by. I have heard a nice pair of 2A's in a well setup room and the soundstage was immense. Mine is pretty good but the room treatments will help that....just a lot of reverb with the wood paneling. Placing 8 panels in the room definitely helped, still playing with placement but that's only about half of what I need as far as total sq.ft are concerned.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    You'll get more presence with the bigger models.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    My room is close to yours in size,15x30.I have the 1.2tl's set up on the long wall 6' apart and the left speaker is 4' off the sidewall.I sit about 7' from the front of the speakers but can move my chair closer if needed.I have about 2' behind me and am pleased with the sound so far.

I have never heard the Sda's any other room than mine and am also curious to hear some setup other than mine.I have had the 2b's and have the 2.3tl,1.2tl's fully modded and a pair of stock 3.1tl's and to my ears the bigger boys give me the soundstage I like.I put the 3.1's in the mix right after listening to the 1.2's and to me there was such a huge difference that they will probably be moved down the road for some other upgrades.

I haven't tried room treatments yet but I'm sure I need them.I don't think you will be disappointed getting the bigger set,I know the 1.2tl's and the 2.3tl's won't be going anywhere soon.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 662
    Options
    I just bought a nice house but the den is a little on the small size with some echo. my living room is big..but wife wants me to stay in the man cave. room treatment is needed. I thank God that I have what I have. my kappa 9's are connected at the moment. I'm haven't yet connected my Big Polk's yet. Can't wait.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • gmcman
    Options
    Has anyone thought that a well setup 1.2 TL lost anything to a 2B TL in regards to clarity and focus to the center stage vocals?

Having never heard the larger SDA's, I have no idea how the row of tweeters and midranges perform with attention to vocal clarity or even instruments. Does it portray a larger soundstage with a loss to clarity?
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    @gmcman
    What part of NOVA do you live in? I live in DC and have a pair of 3.1TL's that you can come and listen to. I also have taken steps to tame my room as well. PM me if you want and we can set something up.
  • gmcman
    Options
    I'm I'm PW County, pretty much 20 to 30 min from Springfield, Fairfax, Centreville, so DC is just another 30 min....no big deal.

I may take you up on that in the near future, thanks for the offer. I'm always curious as to how all the larger SDA's sound.

My ceiling has a HVAC supply right above the speakers reducing that portion of the ceiling to 85", shouldn't pose too much of a problem.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I used to live in Lakeridge when I first came down here 20 years ago. I stayed with my sister until I got my own apt in DC.
    I still have my SDA-1C's that I haven't sold yet. I was actually kinda shocked at the difference between the 1-C's (*which are the top of the regular lineup of SDA's*) and the 3.1's (*which are one step up and the bottom of the SRS lineup*) :)
  • gmcman
    Options
    OK, Lakeridge is right around the corner from me for the most part. Very cool, I will need to plan out a half-day to take a trip to DC.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Music or movies or both?
    My system is fully integrated for stereo or home theater. You can bring your own lp's,cd's,sacd's,dvd-a's,dts cd's,laserdiscs,dvd's or blu-rays. My cassette deck is acting up though.
    Sorry ;)
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    My room is 11 x 28 with 8' ceilings with speakers on the long wall. I had 2Bs first and loved them. I found a pair of original SRS that I couldn't pass up. I liked the impact, but it was too much for me. I could feel them pressurizing the room with sound. And maybe it was a psychological thing because they're just so damn big physically, but it felt like they were just taking over. I moved to a pair of SRS 2 and I find them to be juuuust right. Lots of impact still, but a better balance for the room. I love these speakers. YMMV.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »
    My room is 11 x 28 with 8' ceilings with speakers on the long wall. I had 2Bs first and loved them. I found a pair of original SRS that I couldn't pass up. I liked the impact, but it was too much for me. I could feel them pressurizing the room with sound. And maybe it was a psychological thing because they're just so damn big physically, but it felt like they were just taking over. I moved to a pair of SRS 2 and I find them to be juuuust right. Lots of impact still, but a better balance for the room. I love these speakers. YMMV.

Did you get a chance to compare them to your LS50s ?

• Rex81
    Options
    TForan wrote: »

Did you get a chance to compare them to your LS50s ?

I did. Had lots of time comparing both. The LS50s were sold a couple weeks ago. B)

I liked the LS50s a lot. They bested the SRS 2 ever so slightly in clarity. Everything else and the Polks stomped all over them. I couldn't justify having the LS50s sitting around collecting dust so they had to go.

This isn't really surprising though. The SRS 2 was over $5,000 in today's dollars when it was sold, and is probably 10 times the size of the LS50. Hard to expect a $1,500 stand mount speaker can do what the Polks can, even if they are Stereophile Class A rated. Just goes to show what a great value the Polks are on the vintage market.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    could feel them pressurizing the room with sound.
    :D
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I started with 1.2's and went to 2.3's. The 2.3's were much better suited for my room. 14x18.

Now, I have a pair of 3.1's, and while the 2.3's were probably my favorite speakers, these are certainly the easiest to work with.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    trav0810 wrote: »
    I started with 1.2's and went to 2.3's. The 2.3's were much better suited for my room. 14x18.

Now, I have a pair of 3.1's, and while the 2.3's were probably my favorite speakers, these are certainly the easiest to work with.

I also have a pair of 2.3TL's and a pair of 3.1TL's, my room is 15'6" X 16'6". I'm forced to have the speakers set-up on the shorter wall.

While the 2.3's have a little more presence in the midrange and low end the multiple tweeters are not as clean and clear as the single tweeters in the 3.1's.

The vocals and the center imaging on the 3.1's is spooky good and I prefer them to the 2.3's in this space, I'm sure my thoughts would be different in a larger room, as I'm not selling the 2.3's anytime soon.
  • gmcman
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »

I have never heard the Sda's any other room than mine and am also curious to hear some setup other than mine.

I haven't tried room treatments yet but I'm sure I need them.I don't think you will be disappointed getting the bigger set,I know the 1.2tl's and the 2.3tl's won't be going anywhere soon.

Not sure where you're located but if anywhere near VA you're welcome to come by, however my 2B's may come up short to your SDS' though... :smile:

The small amount of room treatments have made quite a big improvement for me.

• gmcman
    Options
    trav0810 wrote: »

While the 2.3's have a little more presence in the midrange and low end the multiple tweeters are not as clean and clear as the single tweeters in the 3.1's.

That's what worry's me, could be a fair compromise over the added mid range but I don't know.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »

I have never heard the Sda's any other room than mine and am also curious to hear some setup other than mine.

Not sure where you're located but if anywhere near VA you're welcome to come by, however my 2B's may come up short to your SDS' though... :smile:

I live smack dab in the middle of the country in Columbia, MO. Right off I-70. Anyone close to here or just traveling through, are more than welcome to stop in, have a cold beverage or three and set in the sweet spot.

We can get our listen on for sure, the doors always open to CP members.

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    I've had both 2.3 (non tl) and 1.2 tl's in my listening room. The rooms dimensions are 15X20' with a 7.5' ceiling. The 1.2's fit the room perfectly to my ears and were a huge upgrade over the 2.3s. The 1.2s can rock with the best of em, shake the foundation if called upon or bring tears or shivers with the right vocals. They're on the short wall but I've also had them on the long wall. Not enough difference to warrant the move to the long wall imo. I'm thinking you'll be fine with 1.2s in your 13x28 especially if you can get them on the long wall.

FWIW I do know what it's like to have an overpowering pair of speakers having lived with a pair of Bozak Concert Grands in my smallish basement room for over a year. I say go for the big guys or you'll always be wondering what you're missing
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    I have the 2.3TL's in a larger room than that and know I'm not missing a damn thing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    [quote="dkfreebird;2248010"

The offer is mutual for me,I'm near Dallas and if you make it this way my door is always open to a fellow polkie.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • gmcman
    Options

The offer is mutual for me,I'm near Dallas and if you make it this way my door is always open to a fellow polkie.

I appreciate that, thanks.

I may have found a nice pair of 1.2's but not the TL. Granted this would require some mods but I need to look at them first. I believe they are still original so if I did take this route, what is the ball park figure to change the tweeters and the x-over mod to bring them to a TL status?
  • gmcman
    Options
    I received a few pics, looks to be blade/blade so that would make them a SRS not a 1.2. Not sure what a good price is for them, since they would need 8 mid range drivers and 8 tweeters to bring them to a TL.

Oh the rabbit hole.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I received a few pics, looks to be blade/blade so that would make them a SRS not a 1.2. Not sure what a good price is for them, since they would need 8 mid range drivers and 8 tweeters to bring them to a TL.

Oh the rabbit hole.
    You cannot "TL" an original SRS. It's 2nd/3rd Generation, and requires a Common Ground Amp.
    They're expensive to upgrade properly, but will sound amazing and will hold their own against the 1.2 and 1.2tl.
    If your heart-set on 1.2tls, wait until a pair comes up within a reasonable distance.

Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Rex81
    Options
    I sold my original SRS for $900. That's on the low side, but a lot of times with these speakers, people are willing to move them cheap to get their space back.

I see some people asking $1800+ for the originals and that's just too much in my opinion. At a minimum, you'll want 8 new RD0-194 tweeters at a total of $400.

On the other hand, the 2.3 can be had for around $800 if you're lucky...