Modding RT25i crossover ?

Options
heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,092
edited January 2016 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I've decided to mod the x-overs in my wonderful sounding Polk RT25i's. I have been wanting to do this for awhile now.

For the tweeter section they use an 8uF electrolytic and a 1.0uF mylar in parallel and a 2 ohm resistor in series.

I am having a heck of a time finding a 9uF capacitor other than Sonicap Gen I which makes the exact value. I have done Sonicaps before several times, so I was looking for something different this time.

As always these are in rotation in a secondary rig (might make a 3rd rig one day) so they don't get a lot of use. The idea is to keep the costs down. I'd like to keep the entire project to about $50.

Resistors will be Mills 5 watt 2.0 and 3.5 ohm $6 each crossover
27uF Low pass cap will be Solen PB $11 each crossover

I have some options as far as caps for the tweeter.

1. 9uF Sonicap Gen I $19.01 each crossover (over budget)
2. 3.3uF & 5.6uF Mundorf M-Cap Evo $11.23 each crossover
3. 2.2uF & 6.8uF Mundorf M-Cap Evo $11.88 each crossover
4. same values as above Mundorf M-Cap Evo oil $20.20 each crossover (over budget)
5. same values as above Clarity Cap ESA $23.00 each crossover (over budget)
6. same values as above Clarity Cap PX $11.00 each crossover

I am open to other suggestions. I've never used Mundorf and I know some have and sware by them. I am a big fan of Clarity Caps and already use the PX series in my 5B's. This is where I'm leaning, but I can be convinced to go another route.

So let's discuss.

H9
"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• heiney9
    Options
    Now I remember why I hate doing crossover mods..................can't get ALL the stuff from one website....lol.

Madisound has 9.0uF PX and ESA Clarity Caps, but don't carry the 27uF Solen Cap (only 25uF cap). Other places have the 27uF Solen but don't carry a 9.0uF cap.

This means paying shipping twice.

Really irritating. :#
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    9uf Clarity PX for the Hi-Pass and 12uf + 15uf Clarity PX for the Lo-Pass. Little over budget, but much better than Solens.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Where are you gonna mount the tube sockets?
    I suggest on the top for heat dissipation.
    Put up your dukes Brock!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Where are you gonna mount the tube sockets?
    I suggest on the top for heat dissipation.
    Put up your dukes Brock!

Too much vibration to mount tubes directly in/on a pair of speakers, quit yer trolling! >:)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,857
    Options
    I LOVE Mundorf caps in electronics, but I've never used them in a crossover. That said, I think they'd be worth trying.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yeah, been wanting to try Mundorf's in something. The oil ones have me a bit intrigued. I need to pull the x-overs again and familiarize myself with the real estate available to make all this work.

Size does matter and I might be limited in that area as I'm not wanting to turn this into a big custom project. It seems like the reason I abandoned this before was cap size vs. the terminal cup and opening......lol

Just a bit irritated I can't get the correct values of all the caps and resistors from one vendor.

H9

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,388
    Options
    Used the munforf's in my 5jr+'s and worked fine. BTW if you would like I have a pair (I believe) of rt25 xovers you can have if you want to keep the originals intact.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • heiney9
    Options
    Really, soundfreak1? That would be great. Are yours the RT25i or just RT25?

H9
  • soundfreak1
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Just the reg rt's bought them at a garage sale some years ago when I had a pair in a 5.1 system. The cabs were for fobar I needed 1 driver for my good pair and still have all the others and the xovers I think just need to open the box and see them again. Pulled them out of the cabs and packed them away. Also have 1 driver and 2 tweets as I remember.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    edited February 2016
    Options
    yep just found the box! 1 mw5522 driver, 2 sl5507 tweets and 2 complete original xovers. Also (forgot I hade these) 2 vifa 804 tweets from a pair of time frames 450's I think.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    I love finding sealed boxes of stuff I forgot I had. It's like Christmas all over again. Too bad I can't use them. LOL
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    Heiney9, I believe they are the same? Is it just the cabinets that differentiate them?
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • heiney9
    Options
    I know what you mean, I found a pair of M5 passives I forgot I had as well as recently hooking up a pair of Pinnacle speaker's I haven't listened to in quite sometime.

Let me peak at the crossover to familiarize myself again and then I'll let you know if I want those.

H9
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    No prob. Have no use for them. There here if...
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • heiney9
    Options
    So, going through some old parts odds n ends boxes I found the caps I bought awhile ago for this upgrade. Clarity caps and Aeon caps for the low pass and Mills.

Soundfreak1 if you still have those crossovers and they need a home, I'll take them.

H9
  • soundfreak1
    Options
    That can work. Pm me your info. No charge for the xovers just cover the ship. They should fit into the P.O. 10.00 box. I will check as I think I have one to test fit.
    Main Rig:
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable