1.2tl Upgrades

Options
Well,after getting a great deal on a pair of 1.2tl's I decided to give them the same upgrade as I did on my 2.3tl's except to take them a little further.The crossovers were sent out to Dave (wmg) for the Sonicaps/Mills resistors and Erse SuperQ inductors upgrade.He also changed out the binding posts and made a set of jumpers.Great work as always and much appreciated.All the drivers and passives were dynamatted and magnets treated with loctite power grab to keep them from shifting.I installed 8 new RDO198's in the speakers also.

I used Larry's rings on the 1.2tl's where I used hurricane nuts on the 2.3tl's.I first ordered just the rings for the mids and passives and installed them and then the tweeter brackets and binding post cup rings became available and ordered those.I installed the the mid rings first and it wasn't until I got the tweeter brackets in that I realized what the flat side was for on the mid rings.I had to rotate a couple or rings to install the tweeter brackets.I also used Blackhole 5 on the rear wall,sidewalls and behind the tweeters just like DK did on his.I didn't use it behind the tweeter and side walls on the2.3tl's.

The crossovers arrived Thursday and I got the right speaker completed that night and finished the left one last night and had them hooked up and breaking in so in about 200 to 300 hours I will be able to compare the 1.2tl's to the 2.3tls.This sure has been fun and can't wait till they are broken in.

Here a a few pics if anyone is fixing to go down the same path and can't find them in the archives.f8ihlxfl4v2u.jpg
myh3e2ps3put.jpg
bcdvog7geivy.jpg
amjv2bpe9901.jpg
ouc82l2r4nc2.jpg
yg3xv1ujddze.jpg
uc8helcu3de1.jpg
3ar78zy2yfx8.jpg
4krxhwmdcop4.jpg
8vcdzf52qkb6.jpg
frzkjh0p3gzc.jpg
bsnpsdy3ro3z.jpg
y30fyfznci7r.jpg
44fbh8s0htqk.jpg

2 Channel
Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
Musical Fidelity M6Si
North Star Intenso Dac
Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
Oppo 103
Pangea PC
Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Looks great Dennis. Enjoy Brother!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That is audio ****, but I am not offended B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks David,you did an awesome job on the x-overs and my first impression on these speakers was the bass slam.These things dig deep and fast.I can't really gauge the soundstage and clarity yet because of where they are set up but the bass is freakin great.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • voltz
    Options
    Good work from the both of ya!! Enjoy them.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• dkfreebird
    Options
    Thanks voltz,I'm going to run them non stop for a while and try to get them broken in.I may set them up in the same room with the 2.3's but on the long wall and on the other end of the room.The pool table is going to be put on sliders and moved so I can get a feel of which way the 2 channel setup will sound best.This is where the system is now.3r0sg05nftos.jpg
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

Pron?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I love speaker ****!! Nice work!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• westmassguy
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Thanks David,you did an awesome job on the x-overs and my first impression on these speakers was the bass slam.These things dig deep and fast.I can't really gauge the soundstage and clarity yet because of where they are set up but the bass is freakin great.

That's the new Lo-Pass Shunt Caps, and Sub-Bass Drive Inductors. Always a big improvement over stock.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

Pron?

Yes Sir! I just spelled it wrong ;)

Looking good Dennis and after your burning in period, it will nice to get to compare them both! Super Jealous.

need a video clip of Jack Black saying: Dude you Rock!

• dkfreebird
    Options
    It has been a good week,made our final house payment on Wednesday,x-overs showed up on Thursday.The speakers were put together on Friday and the wife just showed up with some adult beverages.Time to settle in and enjoy some tunes. :)
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    Rock on :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Braddles63
    Options
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    Great read here fellas, don't forget to come back in a few weeks with an update.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Nice job fellas real nice job.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Very nice job on the "big boyz".
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    dkfreebird wrote: »
    Thanks voltz,I'm going to run them non stop for a while and try to get them broken in.I may set them up in the same room with the 2.3's but on the long wall and on the other end of the room.The pool table is going to be put on sliders and moved so I can get a feel of which way the 2 channel setup will sound best.This is where the system is now.3r0sg05nftos.jpg

@dkfreebird
    Looking good and jealous as well. If you want to hear them fully and at their best I cannot stress this enough. Get them away from that big A$$ cabinet!!!
    I see this all the time unfortunately.People spend large amounts of money on their SDA's and upgrades and then put them too close to either the sidewalls or large furniture. The early reflections severely reduce or outright destroy the SDA soundstage. Ideally they should be 5 feet from any sidewalls or large furniture.This is what Polk Audio said years ago and no one seems to remember that. It has to do with the spead at which sound travels or something. Minimum of three feet.

Unfirtunately speakers like these and planars tend to have very low WAF, because the room needs to be set up to accomodate them and NOT the other way around.

Good luck and good listening!!
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Yep,not the best spot now to set them up,the 2.3's are just under 3 ft from the side walls and the entertainment center is open in the back for the height of the speakers.The legs in the front are only about cd case deep.The only thing in front of the speakers is the lower shelf with the gear on it.The 1.2's will be setup on the other end of the room.The room is 15x30 and the 1.2's should have about 4ft to the sidewall on one side and 12ft or more on the other side.The gear will be setup on a still yet to determined rack.As far as the money spent on them it is all from buying and selling and making a profit and the best part is the wife really doesn't mind them.If she ever does get tired of them I can always drag the 3.1tl's out of storage and set them up and store the others but my thought is I will end up moving one set of the big boys once I determine which one I like best.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• honestaquarian
    Options
    @dkfreebird
    Post a pic when you have them set up
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Well,after about a week of listening to the 1.2's from the other side of a pool table I decided the pool table had to go.The sound just starting getting better and I knew I was missing the whole point of the SDA's so it was sold.

Once it was sold the need for a rug in front of the speakers was needed since I have concrete floors.Then after that I had to have a listening chair or two.The speakers are still hooked up to a Parasound Hca 1200ii and a adcom pre streaming Pandora thru my laptop and an Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2 dac and they are really starting to settle in and opening up.I have them about 10 inches of the back wall,5ft from one wall 7ft apart and about12ft from the other wall.

I'm really anxious to get my other gear in my signature on them but still need to get a rack and a few other things in place.The 2.3tl's sound better at this point but I have a feeling that may change soon.I had a brother come over for the weekend to give them a listen and he said he didn't think he could go back and listen to his setup again.LoL
    He has a Sunfire 5 channel 200 watt amp I sold him and some Norman Lab Model 9's.

Here are a couple of pics of the new setup but I still have a lot of work to do. I hope to have a better feel for them after about 100 more hours.
    66k28xzmd1sh.jpg
    ba8bn2pw846p.jpg
    tedj4v6od85k.jpg

2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Nice!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Pandora? HiFi blasphemy!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Pandora? HiFi blasphemy!

I know :( I'm working on getting Tidal or Spotify just got a lot of other things to get first.I usually listen to cd's on the old oppo sacd player I have on the other setup .
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    Nice. Feel the burn....
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Yep Dave,they have been all over the place at first but now they are starting to settle in.Thanks for all the hard work on them and I was sorry to hear about Jean Stapleton :#
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    Yuk Yuk... Keep it up, and I'll activate the quantum field generator I secretly installed in your crossovers.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Hell. I got Paul Kantner and Mickey Thomas mixed up in another thread.Getting old sux.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• honestaquarian
    Options
    One of the other founding members of Jefferson Airplane just died. I forget his name though. @dkfreebird try using some higher resolution material like a CD or an SACD to burn them in. Something with wide dynamic range and lots of low bass. Don't know if you're into classical at all but Dupre Symphony in G is perfect for this. ph4zzqcsiovv.jpg
  • dkfreebird
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just put Beck Mellow Gold in and the sda effect is fantastic.Just played Soul Suckin Jerk and it blew me away. The sound is extending way beyond the speakers and wrapping around to nearly behind me.I can't wait to get the tubes and McCormack on these. :D:D
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• westmassguy
    Options
    Amazing what SDAs do for well recorded tracks, with plenty of separation. MP and his Engineers were geniuses. Ahead of their time
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I agree,and the proper spacing is key.My 2.3's never had this much seperation where they are at,they are to boxed in.I knew that from listening to the advice here but it became REAL evident this morning for the first time.Wow!
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC