Who here is a prepper or semi-prepared?

Who here is a prepper, what are you preparing for, and do you have a specific preparation plan?

I've got to be honest, I don't have hardly anything, so I'm just trying to find out who's house I can crash at when the SHTF. I'm thinking Steve is probably a good bet with all that land out in AZ, haha.

Just saw this on another forum and have always been interested in it myself (big fan of doomsday preppers), but never really acted on it. Other than keeping everything full of gas including several 5-gallon gas cans during hurricane season and always on the watch for weather to go out and buy supplies before a shortage would hit - and a full tank of diesel in the tractor (but that's more just to make sure and keep moisture out of the tank anyway) - I don't have anything. I have a very short supply of shells and 9mm, but that's about all I'll say about that to make sure this thread stays alive.

I do have a generator, so for short-term stuff, I can keep the fridge and freezer going for about a week before I would need gas.

We were without power for almost a week last year. Luckily, it was the end of winter to it was still relatively cool in the house. We bought some bags of ice to put in the fridge and freezer and cycled them on and off of the generator. We do live out in the country on 20 acres, so we do have that going for us.

Right now, we're focusing our funds on building a house, but in the future I'd like to build a stock pile of goods and cycle them in and out. I also want to put the house, eventually, on a whole-home propane generator. Anyway, just curious on what other people have stocked and what are you stocking for to get ideas for the future.
-Cody
Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it

Comments

• Prepping for what???
    RTiA5 + CSiA4 + Jamo SW410E
    Yamaha TSR-700 (equivalent to RX V6A)
    No surround...yet
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Zombie apocalypse of course. Pay attention or die from ignorance.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    French_guy wrote: »
    Prepping for what???
    That was literally my first sentence.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Zombie apocalypse of course. Pay attention or die from ignorance.

Joking aside, I've heard several times prepping like you're preparing for the zombie apocalypse is one of the best ways to go and will make you the most prepared for most catastrophic events.
    -Cody
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Since I live in Los Angeles I "prep" for a major Earthquake.
    I have water for a month. Propane for two months heating or BBQ
    A dirt bike to get around the debris. With plenty of gasoline that is regularly cycled.
    A month of canned no heating required food.
    And since I rely on medication a six month supply.
    Not worried about hordes of looters. I even have plenty of canned food for the cats.
    During the last "big" earthquake I was without electricity for two days, never lost water or gas. But the roads were nearly impassable for a year. I went everywhere on my Kawasaki KLR650. Road in the streets where possible then jumped up on the sidewalk and road past the debris.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Tornado's and ice storms ready here.
    Gotta love the midwest... :o
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I am prepared for an EMP, I just bought a book "How to serve man" it's all that I need and some matches.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Not really a prep, but I figure if things ever go that south a lot of people will die......and I'll just steal their sh&t. lol

Have a wood burning fireplace to cook from, tons of woods outside the back door. So if I had to, the squirrel and Rabbit population will take a hit. Doubt we'll see those days in our life time, but when it does happen it will be fast, not some slow turn towards hell.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Didn't the whole state of Florida turn prepper once word got out Russ was on his way ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    A few of the bravest locals have come out of hiding to do some recon, Tony. Otherwise it's still quiet.
  • HHStuart
    HHStuart Posts: 263
    If you read SF, the post apocalyptic story has been around for quite a while. Most people don't realize how fragile civilization is. If the trucks can't deliver groceries and gas, the grocery stores and gas stations will run out in no time. The same goes with other goods. You can prep for a short term (weeks or even months). If the problem is longer than that, you might as well kiss your a** goodbye. Best solution to looters is to go invisible. Find a cave somewhere, make a secret entrance and stock it. Those who live by the gun will die by the gun. The TV shows on Preppers show people with bug out vehicles. I think your chances of making it very far on the roads in such a situation is just about nil. I've got a natural gas generator that comes on automatically when the electricity goes out. Unfortunately, after a few hours, it pops a hose and drains its oil. It's been fixed 4 times and I don't trust it. Don't buy Generac - they are not interested in fixing it.
    Front - Polk LSiM 705, Center - Polk LSiM 704c, Rear - Polk LSi 7
    Subwoofer - Epik Legend
    Receiver (as Preamp) - Sony STR-DA3400 ES
    Amplifier - Outlaw 7125
    Television - 58" Samsung Plasma PN58B860
    Blu Ray - OPPO BDP 83
  • tonyb
    Natural gas ??

Dontcha think if electric utilities stop producing electricity, same goes for natural gas distribution ? All utilities would stop, including water....which is the main thing for life.

Generators are a short term solution. Clean drinking water though may be harder to come by than many think. Even if things went as south as some say it can, it wouldn't be long before we started back up again. Unless of course it was some cosmic event that wiped out everything. I think that has a more real possibility than someone invading or knocking us down to 3rd world status.

I love watching prepper shows at times. They do have some good ideas for survival. In a way though, they remind me of those waiting for the Alien invasion, highly unlikely, and I wouldn't plan my life around highly unlikely scenarios. You simply can't prepare for everything life has to throw at you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Having gone through hurricanes especially Ike, it all comes down to water, water, did I mention water.

I had a half a truck bed of water and it was gone in no time.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    edited January 2016
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Having gone through hurricanes especially Ike, it all comes down to water, water, did I mention water.

I had a half a truck bed of water and it was gone in no time.

I'm gathering your putting preference on....water ? lol

If I was to prep for anything, it would be survival when I lock myself out of the house again. Maybe flying squirrel protection too. Maybe I should bury some clothes outside, a lighter, half a leg of Prosciutto, and a Mad Magazine. A lock picking tool set too. You'd of thought my loved ones would have already bought me those tools. Maybe they are trying to tell me something, I dunno. With my luck, I'd bury everything I needed but all the shovels would be locked in the garage.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2016
    We prep "somewhat". We don't have a bail-out shelter or anything that extreme, but I do have some food stores, water, generators, fuel, ammo, etc. Mostly geared towards a natural disaster. It's NEVER a bad idea to at least have some food/water and a way to stay warm plan for a minimum of 7 days. Downed power lines can really create havoc when you don't have a way to cope without it. Remember, even natural gas appliances require electricity.

Rule of 3's:
    You can die from exposure in 3 hrs
    You can die of thirst in 3 days
    You can die of hunger in 3 weeks

So; priorities are: 1. Shelter; 2. Water; 3. Food.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Having been through a few multi-day outages, we keep a stock of the basics on hand as well, food, H2O, gas, generator, filters, and other essential items. I certainly don't think we're prepped for the apocalypse, but we'd survive an brief outage of civilization better than most, IMO @steveinaz is right, it's never a bad idea to be prepared to go without for a week or so.

Last power outage here (3 days) people were coming to our house for hot coffee and hot food. No one thought my white gas stoves were funny then!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• txcoastal1
    Yep water is my preference. Galveston was without water for 3+ weeks, that included that we were banned from flushing toilets. If it wasn't from having an Essential Personnel tag allowing to get back on the island, I would have not been able to occupy the Island, once you left you were not allowed to return. I was able to maintain food supply with generators, gas, and propane.

I was one of the very few that was able to keep my fridge and chest freezer. I had cleared all the out non-essential food and started freezing gallon jugs days before to help maintain the fridge and freezer with food.

There were no hotels within 300miles and even further out, those were scarce. Houston was completely down for 8 days.

All the reason I moved off the island. I still live in the Galveston county but this is as far as I go.

If there is ever a catastrophe where you can't get outside more than likely you will be out of provisions in a month or less.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    edited January 2016
    Common sense really to have some food and water for short spans. However, living like that for extended periods of time takes another mind set....and preparation, which is why they call them preppers. lol Highly unlikely we would have to go through extended periods like that unless the same was happening all over the planet. Again, highly unlikely. I'm talkin' years, not a few weeks.

You island lovers are stuck, though you don't need much to fish and cook on an open fire. Might need your own version of "Wilson" though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited January 2016
    Having survived Sandy in NJ here are my thoughts. Sandy was nothing.

People tend to take civilization for granted.
    You mean the government won't take care of us?

Water, Food, a Dual Fuel,Generator and a way to protect yourself and your loved ones are on everyone's list. Some MRE's would be handy as they have good shelf life and store efficiently.

Don't forget Flashlights and Batteries, a good manual can opener, portable battery powered radio. A good watch dog can be of help.

If you have a gas stove, know how to light it manually for heat. Know how to get gas out of your vehicle. An ax/hatchet and a fire starter are handy too. A water purifier as well.

Cash on hand would be helpful b/c any thing you might be able to buy you won't be able to use your AMEX.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Yep water is my preference. Galveston was without water for 3+ weeks, that included that we were banned from flushing toilets. If it wasn't from having an Essential Personnel tag allowing to get back on the island, I would have not been able to occupy the Island, once you left you were not allowed to return. I was able to maintain food supply with generators, gas, and propane.

I was one of the very few that was able to keep my fridge and chest freezer. I had cleared all the out non-essential food and started freezing gallon jugs days before to help maintain the fridge and freezer with food.

There were no hotels within 300miles and even further out, those were scarce. Houston was completely down for 8 days.

All the reason I moved off the island. I still live in the Galveston county but this is as far as I go.

If there is ever a catastrophe where you can't get outside more than likely you will be out of provisions in a month or less.

I remember that. Luckily, we weren't hit in College Station. But we had lots of people from Houston coming to College Station for gasoline and supplies. College Station is about utilities. Most all the electrical is underground, so it was extremely rare to have an outage.

Now that I'm out in the country, we have about a mile of overhead line to JUST feed my neighbors house, then on to ours. About 10 months ago we had a bad wind storm that completely blocked our road (and of course my tractor was down during that time) and knocked out power everywhere. Our line that ran to the pole in my neighbors yard was down. Her wire was fine where it tied to the transmission line, so once that line came back on, she had power about 2 days before we did.

We will never go crazy, but I'd like to have about a 3-4 weeks' supply of food and water on hand for weather related emergencies. Maybe get a 55-gallon drum that I can fill up with gas if needed.
    -Cody
  • tonyb
    Agreed, some cash on hand is good, only if it's the cash's value that created the crisis to begin with would forego the need....and that too is a more likely scenario.

Your right though, most things today is taken for granted. Our way of life, liberties....stuff just shows up on the store shelves right ? Many studies have found a good chunk of people would forego food over the internet, how effed up is that ?

For protection, I have a Tasmanian Devil, otherwise known as my x wife who can take out most any unsavory types.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Having survived Sandy in NJ here are my thoughts. Sandy was nothing.

People tend to take civilization for granted.
    You mean the government won't take care of us?

Water, Food, a Dual Fuel,Generator and a way to protect yourself and your loved ones are on everyone's list. Some MRE's would be handy as they have good shelf life and store efficiently.

Don't forget Flashlights and Batteries, a good manual can opener, portable battery powered radio. A good watch dog can be of help.

If you have a gas stove, know how to light it manually for heat. Know how to get gas out of your vehicle. An ax/hatchet and a fire starter are handy too. A water purifier as well.

Cash on hand would be helpful b/c any thing you might be able to buy you won't be able to use your AMEX.

Agree with all the above and have all those items covered. Because the greatest threat here (I'm not in a FEMA floodplain under any circumstance) is wind/rain damage, we also added 6 of the largest tarps Harbor Freight sells and 75 yards of nylon rope. If the roof suffers catastrophic damage, we're trying to be prepared to mitigate damage to personal effects.

We cycle out and replace MREs annually. My son-in-law has some acreage where everyone goes several times a year for bonfire camp outs. The retiring MREs make good lunches.
  • txcoastal1
    One of the most a$S backwards things is where some of the power generation plants are located.
    For instance Entergy has a power distribution plant that is in Beaumont that goes all the way 40 miles north of Huntsville. When hurricane Rita hit Beaumont that shut everything down 150miles north up the I-45 corridor which is the primary evacuation route.

Hurricane Rita was the evacuation disaster that killed 70 people just trying to evacuate. On my way back from Dallas I had filled up my truck along with a half dozen 5gal gas cans. I pulled into a gas station not knowing the issue, all these people stranded motorists looked at me like a steak at a pit bull convention.

• tonyb
    One of the most a$S backwards things is where some of the power generation plants are located.
    For instance Entergy has a power distribution plant that is in Beaumont that goes all the way 40 miles north of Huntsville. When hurricane Rita hit Beaumont that shut everything down 150miles north up the I-45 corridor which is the primary evacuation route.

Hurricane Rita was the evacuation disaster that killed 70 people just trying to evacuate. On my way back from Dallas I had filled up my truck along with a half dozen 5gal gas cans. I pulled into a gas station not knowing the issue, all these people stranded motorists looked at me like a steak at a pit bull convention.

Yep, and what do you think those people would do under more dire circumstances ? Best invest in some ammo too.....that may be worth more than money.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    I have a family member who was prepped for Y2K,total nut job. I've always wondered if she is still eating her dehydrated food that she hoarded. If we get nuked or something similar I would just assume go out with the rest of them. She gave my mom a military style gas mask and 2 cases of filter cartridges for the big Y2K deal. I make my girlfriend wear it when I smoke in the car. :}
  • tonyb
    I like Dr. Prepper.....does that count ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Generators? If you cant live without a generator you are toast or roast. Preping for a minor inconvenience is one thing. But when you are talking major meltdown. Your neighbors will be trying to eat your brains.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My plan is to become a zombie quicker than everyone else. That'll take all the prep out of it. It also gives me a reason to bite my wife with purpose!

I have water and beer. I'm ready for the end and will welcome it with open arms.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Do Zombies drink beer? Maybe wait to become a zombie when you run out of beer no?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Seeing how they walk, i would assume yes?

If i wait too long, i might die from nagging and then not have a chance to bite her pretty little face off. God knows we can't miss out on an opportunity like that! :expressionless:
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!