Polk SDA 1C Mod Progress

Options
Just thought I would share some of the progress with the modifications to my Polk SDA 1C's. So far the speakers have been gutted and internals sent to westmassguy for upgrades :) Spikes were installed with a bit of struggle but again David was there to walk me through the hurdles. The cabinet has been sealed with Loctite as well as the center brace. The woofers and PR's were given the Dynamat treatments and magnets were sealed with Loctite. New tweeters have arrived and will be installed after the crossover, and bin5b2azs7bvdut.jpg
vet4whsyvy0g.jpg
ding cup returns new and improved. Next, I will be installing the Sonic Barrier and Hurricane nuts when they arrive this week, covering the tops with glass (I set my computer on top when I’m streamingqen7h3mlo4ew.jpg
), and possibly painting the cabinets...All in all this has been more work than expected but I am very excited to hear the outcome! I have attached a few pictures..
Polk SDA 1C Upgraded, Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, Parasound HCA 1200ii, Belles 21a Preamp, Rotel RSX-1056, Matricom G Box Q, Blue Jean & Signal Cable interconnects, Sonographe SG-3 TT, Panamax M4300-PM

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Lookin good, you will be rewarded for your efforts! Spikes are on my "to do" list as well.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen someone join this forum and go all out in less than 2 weeks. Those 1C's are in good hands with you. Congrats! How long have you been listening to them stock?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sfosselman
    Options
    I've had them stock for all of two weeks :) They sounded amazing stock but I can't leave anything alone :neutral: I came across this forum, saw the glowing reviews for each mod, met westmassguy, and the rest is history
    Polk SDA 1C Upgraded, Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, Parasound HCA 1200ii, Belles 21a Preamp, Rotel RSX-1056, Matricom G Box Q, Blue Jean & Signal Cable interconnects, Sonographe SG-3 TT, Panamax M4300-PM
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Your X-overs are in good hands with Dave, he does impeccable work.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @sfossleman,

Well done!

Great progress and very nice work, indeed.

You will be richly rewarded when you get your new crossovers installed.

PS: I would have said that your patience "will be richly rewarded," but I haven't seen much evidence of patience on your side! :)

Onward and upward.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• sfosselman
    Options
    Patience has never been my virtue I'm afraid ;)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Patience and Virtue's are over-rated! Excellent progress!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Looking great Steve. You might want to check the fit on the PRs. Looks like you might have gone too far down with the Dynamat.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Looking great Steve. You might want to check the fit on the PRs. Looks like you might have gone too far down with the Dynamat.

Drivers too.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sfosselman
    Options
    Some more progress has been made :p

F1nut- I test fitted the drivers and they seem to fit fine with the current Dynamat configuration...I did however remove some of the Dynamat on the PR to allow for a better fit in the cabinet. Also, Sonic Barrier was added to the rear wall behind the drivers. I used two 4" x 12" strips on each (I was tempted to put in more since I paid for it but David wisely advised against it. I've attached pictures, (1) the removal of some of the Dynamat on the PR, (2) the SB on the back cabinet, (3) one speaker with the polyfill installed...Thanks everyone...Westmassguy in particular..for your continued supportos1xevxbrme7.jpg
    tg9vm16jgs6n.jpg
    4nt4y8bfjytc.jpg
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    Very clean! Those speakers will turn out great. What were your cap choices for the crossovers?
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Seeing those speakers come together is a beautiful site! WTG!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Options
    One thing I noticed, are you not adding polyfill behind the tweeters?
  • sfosselman
    Options
    For the crossovers I went with Sonicap Gen I MP Caps for Hi and Lo-Pass and Mills MRA-12 Resistors. I also will not be adding polyfill behind the tweeters because that's the way I found them :p . Unless someone can tell me a good reason to add more to the top ;) Tonight I successfully installed hurricane nuts to the tweeters, drivers, and PRs...pics to come. It has been a good amount of work but enjoyable none the less
  • sfosselman
    Options
    Finished putting in the hurricane nuts and customized with some bbn7zeg157u4.jpg
    ehypvmdfbl4f.jpg
    protective glass on the tops. As soon as I get the crossovers back from Dave these babies are ready for an audition! :D
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    You are really doing a great job on posting of photos with the descriptions.

I bought a set of 1C's with end caps last Sunday for $220. They will enjoy their companion 2B studio speakers. Per wessmassguy, I put the RD-0194's in my 2B's more than a year ago - Incredible difference.

I plan to follow your upgrade and proceed with the mods of my speakers in 2016 as I have not had the time the past year plus. I will use the services of wessmassguy too.
    Harry Jones
    Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • sfosselman
    Options
    Dave is a great guy to work with and extremely knowledgeable....it has been a learning process for sure...I will continue to post progress as parts come in. Thanks for your kind words
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    @sfosselman,

Thanks for all your updates, and keep up the great work.

You'll really appreciate the results.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• sfosselman
    Options
    Just got the word from Dave that the crossovers, binding Post Cups, inductors, and upgraded interconnect cable have been completed and are heading back home :D ....updates to come
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Anxiously awaiting updates. These look great!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    ^^^^ This
    Randy/Maine
  • sfosselman
    Options
    We're getting there....crossovers, binding posts, etc... have all been installed. The last hold up is one of the driver (I’m not sure how) had a magnet shift so I had to order a new one from Polk. One that arrives and is installed both speakers will be up and running!!!
  • boston1450
    Options
    That svcks when that happens. Project looks great sir. Sure you cant wait to burn it all in. Looking forward to hear'n your impressions..
    Randy/Maine
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    sfosselman,
    Can you post a picture of the magnet shift. I have never seen one. I'm happy all things are coming together for you.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • sfosselman
    Options
    It would look like any other driver...you can tell a magnet has shifted when you push on the PR and the woofer does not move when all drivers are installed.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    You can also move the midwoofer cone with even and small pressure around the dustcap. Scratching noises? Shift. Frozen? Shift.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • boston1450
    edited December 2015
    Options
    They can also sound very distorted & scratchy to the feel if you lightly press in on the woofer. I have tried to repair them with no success..... But have heard some have
    Randy/Maine
  • sfosselman
    Options
    So close guys....getting the replacement woofer today (going to dynamat and loctite the magnets) and will have everything up and running...I also have the new Matricom G Box Q running Tidal, spotify, and Kodi (hooked to the Eastern DAC>Belles Pre>Parasound HCA-1200iic93iy6eejgzh.png
    mc3a229gu8b1.png
    ) for ultimate streaming options. Here are some pics of the upgraded crossovers and binding posts done by Dave to pass the time ;)
  • george daniel
    Options
    Nice work,, remember after you get em buttoned up,,prepare for the roller coaster ride,,aka,,burn in
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • sfosselman
    sfosselman Posts: 184
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well friends I had two hickups. I had brought in my fiance after everything was buttoned up for the BIG REVEAL and, wouldn’t you know it, the PR started buzzing with bassy sections of a song. It took some trial and error, but in the end it could be contributed to a loose screw in the PR. OK, now with that done we were finally ready to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Not quite! After the rattle issue, the tweeter in my right speaker started to make a loud, and unsettling popping sound. It was a loud pop that I thought, after the magnet shift in the woofer incident, that I was just fed up with these speakers. Turns out after troubleshooting that the optical cable running from the Android box had a kink in it. Who would have thought a kink in an optical cable would cause the tweeter to do that? After smoothing out those wrinkles do you know what happened next....beautiful music! I can finally say that the upgrading process is COMPLETE!!! *knock on wood* ....and how does it sound....if I could describe it in one word it would be live....the entire night I had a stupid grin on my face pouring through my collection I had heard many times before (but not like this) Everything was so open! The space created by the SDA's coupled with the smooth tube qualities is a combination I can listen to for hours. Also, I have always played my music fairly loud but with this set up, even at low volume, the sound was incredibly articulate and clear. Even though this process has been taxing, both emotionally and financially ,it has been worth it. The sense of satisfaction I get, and will get for years to come, from the system is truly amazing!