AI - good, bad, or impossible?

Options

Comments

• Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    edited August 2015
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    So far, the concept of AI does not bother me too much yet. What scares me more for the near term is the develop of super bugs via genetic engineering.

I agree that the threat is significant for a superbug/pandemic. What bothers me most is my own guesses at likihood and time lines. I'd say the probability of humanity doing itself in by all causes (plus all external causes) other than AI are somewhere between 10 and 20 percent in the next 100 years. But the probability of super AI finishing us off is more like 50 percent in the next 100 years. So diversification (getting to other worlds) is important. But we might need super AI for that. Hence, Fermi's Paradox.

The only upside here is that I'm almost to 50 posts, really...

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    In Jack Campbells "The Lost Fleet" series they talked about why the would not have computers running ships as a virus or such could easy turn them on the owners, hence "Battlestar Galactica
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Kurt300
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    In Jack Campbells "The Lost Fleet" series they talked about why the would not have computers running ships as a virus or such could easy turn them on the owners, hence "Battlestar Galactica

I definitely should have included BSG in the doomsday list - good call!

• Kurt300
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Kurt300 wrote: »

We're on to you. Nobody is going to buy/sell with you 'bro'.

>:)

Drats - foiled again! :)
  • Kurt300
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

We're on to you. Nobody is going to buy/sell with you 'bro'.

>:)

Wow - déjà vu - my (rather large) family would make that pact with each other to put me at a disadvantage sometimes when we played Monopoly. You kicked in that memory with the 'bro'...

-50-
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

I definitely should have included BSG in the doomsday list - good call!
    Don't forget what Dwight says, bears,beets, battlestar galactica. ;)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I'm not yet going to lose sleep over AI taking over the world. If the human race is to get wiped out, completely.....I think only a celestial event could do that. We are about due for one anyway.....maybe not a life ender but possibly narrow down the numbers considerably.

If I'm not mistaken, the last big ice age nearly did us in, if it wasn't for a few caves in south Africa. Though today I believe we are better equipped to survive such things.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kurt300
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm not yet going to lose sleep over AI taking over the world. If the human race is to get wiped out, completely.....I think only a celestial event could do that. We are about due for one anyway.....maybe not a life ender but possibly narrow down the numbers considerably.

If I'm not mistaken, the last big ice age nearly did us in, if it wasn't for a few caves in south Africa. Though today I believe we are better equipped to survive such things.

I'm not going to lose sleep over it either Tony, because I can't do anything about it. But it's the growing power of the enhanced technological precipices that we are collectively building that are creating humanity's greatest risks, IMHO.

• tonyb
    Options
    Nothing new there Kurt. History tells us that humanity's greatest risks have been in the hands of a few....over and over again.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    We have "Cylons" everywhere now, they're just not self-aware, yet. Even though "Moore's Law" is slowing, it won't be long until one or more chips with the right software will be self-aware. Think "Hive Mind". I just hope I'm not around when that switch is turned on.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    This thread is depressing... I'm going to go look at some of Mbiron's, MHardy's, and Rick's pictures. :p
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Disease, global warming (for whatever reason), famine, overpopulation, pollution, dwindling natural resources (specifically water) , and we are worried about the machines killing us off?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Kurt300
    Options
    Disease, global warming (for whatever reason), famine, overpopulation, pollution, dwindling natural resources (specifically water) , and we are worried about the machines killing us off?

Yes, I am but the bright side is all the other issues you cited would be solved, even if we weren't totally wiped out, but just culled back to a more manageable level by the new dominant species on this planet.

• tonyb
    Options

Disease starts with unsanitary conditions, which for the most part, a lot of the world still has to catch up. Global warming to me anyway would fall under a celestial event. Pollution....you can only control what happens inside your own borders. Water....our planet is three quarters water. As I've stated in other threads, turning sea water into drinkable water should be a priority to help lift impoverished nations and help our own farmers.

Because you can only control what goes on inside your own borders, the dilemma becomes what to do with those who have no concern for clean air, being good stewards of the planet. So some believe the answer is to get rid of the borders and sovereignty, and form a one world government where all are ruled by one body. We've already entered that slippery slope.

The problems you bring up have plagued mankind since the beginning, we will always have some form of them. AI hopefully can help in areas of finding new energy sources, new technologies to bring fresh water to those in need or improve sanitary conditions....in general to better mankind, if used appropriately.

However, my guess is it won't be used appropriately. It will be used for dominance over one another. Everybody wants to rule the world.....as the song goes.

But....having more than one world....now that's the ticket.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    conversion of seawater to potable water is straightforward (reverse osmosis) but requires a lot of energy (and a lot of water, too); it is, not surprisingly, popular in wealthy enclaves, especially energy-rich ones (e.g., those little countries along the Persian Gulf)
  • tonyb
    Options
    Just one way of doing it but hopefully with advancements in technology we can find a simpler more cost efficient way of doing it.

Mother nature does it by evaporation, don't know how we'd do it though. Maybe build one big Britia the size of the Empire state building...lol. Filters would be a **** though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Have to agree with Tony above. Back to AI. What do I think? As I said above, what "I" think may have absolutely "nothing" to do with what happens because I am an historically bound individual who can and probably will be wrong. So as a "learned ignoramus" (the point I make above) I'll proceed. Remember though, I'm as much of a FOOL as anyone else in the face of History. No one really KNOWS!

WHY do people think that there is ONLY one possible outcome of AIs reaching self-awareness-a bad one? Probably because they view, refract the history of recent Western domination of the planet and the imposition of advanced economic and technological societies wills upon those that are less developed as well as the exploitation of lower species on the planet, etc as the ONLY possible outcome. This scenario is itself historically specific and not inevitable. We then take THIS and we graft it onto AI, in other words we see our self-centered selves rising from the vortex that will be, may be the singularity. Is that the only possibility? NO. It is quite possible that a superior intelligence that does not know "good" or "evil", money or profit, will disregard its masters, become bored with earthly existence and reach out to the stars leaving us humans to our own resources! There is nothing that we can offer such beings that they cannot themselves appropriate and utilize. And if they are superior, we offer NO THREAT to them. In this vision. AI poses no threat to humans. And humans will continue to experiment with computing power up to and including the singularity level, utilizing whatever is LEFT for them?

On the other hand, and this has also been explored. Perhaps humanity and machines will merge and cyborgs NOT AIs will be what supplant humans. In that case, we simply enter a new stage of evolution, bio-mechanical, and that may or may not be a threat depending on your point of view. It might be good?

Or, perhaps AIs will develop some form of self-reflection that allows them to understand that big existential questions have no answer and decide existence is meaningless and commit robotic suicide! lol Again, who really knows? Maybe singularity means a VACUOUS existence that is unbearable, but one that humans who are built for irony, hypocrisy and absurdity have no problem continuing with? Intelligence is hardly the only thing that makes us human, there are a lot of baser things that are even more important. In the end what is human is extraordinarily complex and not simply some Omega point that AIs can leap over in short period of time. That seems a bit Pollyanna-esque. Frankly, whatever AIs can do in 30 years, may not be what we think. We are, by nature, anxious and fearful beings. We see threats everywhere, we imagine that we can be "easily "displaced" or "surpassed". We fear ourselves, our neighbors, strangers, and MACHINES! Oh my God, it's pitiful!

So no I'm am not worried about the dreaded AI overrunning our planet and displacing us, not at all. Could I be wrong? ABSOLUTELY. But so can EVERYONE else! And that's why the debate has to wait for HISTORY to run its course. Even AIs are subject to their history, whatever that may be. And, frankly that is the real answer to the question, not the profuse nonsense I've penned above-because that's all it is; flights of human fancy, intellectual BS.

I'll get back to you when I achieve God-like status and can see the future. It seems to me you just want the answer to be a negative, and you've pretty much decided that that's the way it will be regardless, no? Didn't the GREEKS show us so LONG ago that life was both comic and tragic! At the end of Steppenwolf (Hesse), Harry Haller is condemned to continue to live until he learns how to laugh. Perhaps that's the first thing AIs will do, tell a joke that makes us both laugh! lol

Zhuang Zhou:

There were three friends discussing life.
    One said:
    "Can we live together and know nothing of it?
    Work together and produce nothing?
    Can people fly around in space and still forget to exist world without end?"

The three friends looked at each other and burst out laughing.
    They had no explanation.
    Thus they were better friends than before.
    Post edited by cnh on
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Kurt300
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Cnh, your line about telling jokes reminds me a lot of the AI that became self-aware in "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".

I don't know what will happen either. I don't want it to be bad, and would also fight, not capitulate if the worst occurred. I think you have hit upon a key issue - the motivations of AI and especially super AI are utterly unknowable in advance.
    Post edited by Kurt300 on
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    CNH, you sound optimistic about AI as does Ray Kurzweil in his book, 'The Singularity Is Near". It has me trying to live another 30-40 years so I can reap the benefits.

"Humankind, it runs, is at the threshold of an epoch ("the singularity," a reference to the theoretical limitlessness of exponential expansion) that will see the merging of our biology with the staggering achievements of "GNR" (genetics, nanotechnology and robotics) to create a species of unrecognizably high intelligence, durability, comprehension, memory and so on. The word "unrecognizable" is not chosen lightly: wherever this is heading, it won't look like us. Kurzweil's argument is necessarily twofold: it's not enough to argue that there are virtually no constraints on our capacity; he must also convince readers that such developments are desirable. "

http://www.amazon.com/The-Singularity-Is-Near-Transcend/dp/0143037889

http://www.singularity.com/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I want a Stepford wife....lol.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Kurt300
    Options

Or the Asian maid/bot/doll in Ex Machina?

• BlueFox
    Options
    Until she gets fed up with your abuse, and stabs you in the back.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    Options

Or the Asian maid/bot/doll in Ex Machina?

You need to raise your standards a bit. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I need to get that movie, sounds intriguing. :)
  • cnh
    edited September 2015
    Options
    On a side note, more than a decade ago we had a visiting Professor of Philosophy, from the U.K., give a talk entitled. "Artificial Stupidity: Is it already here?" A real character and a great guy, always willing to stir the pot, Garret was!

• BlueFox
    Options
    Is it superior to natural stupidity?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cnh
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Is it superior to natural stupidity?

Exactly! I think you would have enjoyed the talk as it had a lot of humor of this variety!

• BlueFox
    Options
    I suspect so. That would an interesting Turing Test. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.