Bottlehead Crack

Options

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I have some Cardas and I think I have more then enough to do the job. also have some Kester I have only used to practice with.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    jd48gnk5tvwj.jpg
    My plates are back with a jet black automotive paint...shiny.
    I'll start marking out the board with a white sharpie and also be sourcing the screws marantz uses on their higher end gear. (Copper colored?)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Nice!!

Kester is good stuff also.

Copper will look very nice with the black.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    Biron is going for some nice style points. Tell you Dad nice job!

Aaron, where it says to attach a wire from Term 4 to 22L - and adds a revision saying if you hook Term 4 to 14U it maybe quieter and I wondered if you did this?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• mrbiron
    Options
    Thanks Voltz and ALL212.

Finding copper plated screws is harder than i thought. I am also second guessing the look. The Bottlehead badge is bronze and really won't look right. Maybe i just skip the BH badge?
  • mrbiron
    Options
    I'm not also looking at one of these to replace the stock volume pot. Reviews are all over the place. 50 50...some say no improvement at all, some say noticeable. For $28, i may take my chance...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-23-Step-Ladder-Type-Attenuator-Potentiometer-100K-Log-Stereo/281714628618?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=31356&meid=6fd1353fb1454218804a011aa34afdce&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=10&sd=301568448140
  • ALL212
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    Biron is going for some nice style points. Tell you Dad nice job!

Aaron, where it says to attach a wire from Term 4 to 22L - and adds a revision saying if you hook Term 4 to 14U it maybe quieter and I wondered if you did this?

Yep, sure did but I have no idea if it makes enough difference to hear but what the heck!

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I'm not also looking at one of these to replace the stock volume pot. Reviews are all over the place. 50 50...some say no improvement at all, some say noticeable. For $28, i may take my chance...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-23-Step-Ladder-Type-Attenuator-Potentiometer-100K-Log-Stereo/281714628618?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=31356&meid=6fd1353fb1454218804a011aa34afdce&pid=100011&rk=6&rkt=10&sd=301568448140

Should be better than stock but the Blue Alps is about the same cost. Blue Alps is a bit of a pain to wire in. Really small pins. If you've got some $$ stick a Gold Point Stereo pot in there. Wiring is real easy.

Stock is ok except at low volume and it doesn't balance right down low, one channel always comes up first.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    jd48gnk5tvwj.jpg
    My plates are back with a jet black automotive paint...shiny.
    I'll start marking out the board with a white sharpie and also be sourcing the screws marantz uses on their higher end gear. (Copper colored?)

If the paint pulled through and you have some on the back make sure you get it scraped off where the ground tab comes through and anywhere else ground points are present. There's been a few builds that the only issue with them was paint covering the back of the plate.

Beautiful paint job by the way!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    It does look good. The cost of doing business was a 6pack that we polished off yesterday afternoon...so i guess i got him a 3 pack.

Yeah, he got the back :D ...DOH*
    I'll take a razorblade and clear the areas appropriately. Thanks for the heads up!
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Should be better than stock but the Blue Alps is about the same cost. Blue Alps is a bit of a pain to wire in. Really small pins. If you've got some $$ stick a Gold Point Stereo pot in there. Wiring is real easy.

Stock is ok except at low volume and it doesn't balance right down low, one channel always comes up first.
    That Gold Point is WAY out of budget! The Japan Alps Type Blue doesn't look to bad in the pin department and is 1/2 the cost of the Valab. Everything i've read says 100K for the attenuator so that is what i've been looking at.

This build is so far on the back burner that it fell off the stove...
  • voltz
    Options
    Taking my time as I am very green with a soldering iron.
    psc6zfyoi9to.jpg

• ALL212
    Options
    Slow and easy - looking good so far! Is that some strange crack pipe up there in the top right corner?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    LOL its a helping hand with LED light and big magnifying glass.
    vkmx2qa797mw.jpg

• ALL212
    Options
    AHH.....clever disguise!!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    something -- probably this very thread -- got me looking at the Bottlehead website. That's not a good thing :-P

So -- they've got a SEP EL84 stereo amp now?!
    And a midprice vacuum tube line-level preamp again?!!
    And a passive network for BSC and HF primping on high-sensitivity and FR speakers?!?!

How'd I miss all these...?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    You know -- the Crown amp and preamp actually were a little bit of a challenge to find... one day, some years ago now, there was this BIG HEAVY BOX of stuff at the swap pile at the Harvard dump. A quick perusal turned up things like a Nakamichi head demagnetizer, a Watts Dust Bug, cables, odds and ends of an audio nature... and a pair of Crown manuals. But -- something in the box was STILL HEAVY. Way down under the odds and ends -- heh, a D-150 and an IC-150.

I'd consider free about right for that pair.
  • mrbiron
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    something -- probably this very thread -- got me looking at the Bottlehead website. That's not a good thing :-P

So -- they've got a SEP EL84 stereo amp now?!
    And a midprice vacuum tube line-level preamp again?!!
    And a passive network for BSC and HF primping on high-sensitivity and FR speakers?!?!

How'd I miss all these...?

You were too busy digging in the trash to find Crown gear?

BAZZINGA! - Good one Skip!

MRH - How are you a good pusher? You peddle their gear and don't even know what they have?!?!?!

I have an update on the Crack.....I downloaded the manual. That is all! :o
  • ALL212
    Options
    I just found another box of small treasure - if you guys burn up a part or need wire let me know. Most of the BH kits I did I did not do stock so I have some extra parts here.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ... always good to have spare parts handy for... eventualities ;- )
    In all seriousness, a kind offer.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Crack pipes? Crown vics? Getting wired?

Ship notice! Bottlehead Eros on the way!

Nice looking top plate mrbiron!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Hey Voltz come on slacker

Great job guys
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ALL212
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

Happy Dancing!!!!

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    Options
    I can't sit still... :#
    Added the speedball but rather than put a bunch of cash into the 100uf's output caps I used a pair of Nichicon electro's I had and tipped 'em with a pair of Solen 1.5uf's films I had here. Also tipped the last power supply with a small film cap.

Just before putting the Speedball in.
    sig6g1zhnron.jpg

Speedball in zooming!
    3tbnnpis6m02.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I can't sit still... :#

Nice job!

Whats the chances of Tom Sawyer-ing you into building the Eros? lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Options
    Not hard at all...! But July is gonna suck for spare time, not one Saturday open and at least two Sundays shot.

Would be fun! (Can I white wash your fence too???)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options

7hx7hltvaf8x.jpg

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    8MxrvRt.jpg?fb
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ALL212
    Options

7hx7hltvaf8x.jpg

No matter how much bleach I pour in my eyes I can't get that image out....

OUCH!!

:D
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We need Mikey (Keiko) to cleanse this thread with female intergluteal cleft's, then it will be all fixed...lol
  • voltz
    Options
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!) but “That’s funny …”

That is what I was saying when I found out my Crack actually works :p

Not bad for a 1st timer. still I hate soldering especially around 14U after the cap is sitting on top of every $#%^ wire :)

en6yp0y7jg7q.jpg