Fuses on vintage speakers

I have a pair of Vintage Monitor 10s with the double fuses. The fuses need to be replaced, but I cannot read any information on the old fuses. What type of fuse is needed. Are the top and bottom fuses the same....any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    1A fast blow
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The top fuse is for the Tweeter, so 1 amp fast blow.
    The bottom fuse is for the woofers. I'm guessing 3 amp fast blow.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    My RTA 12C's came with 0.75 amp fast blow. Not sure how much difference it makes, but I'd be cautious protecting the tweeter section with a 1 amp.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Nightfall
    edited April 2015
    drumminman wrote: »
    My RTA 12C's came with 0.75 amp fast blow. Not sure how much difference it makes, but I'd be cautious protecting the tweeter section with a 1 amp.
    I remember reading an old RTA-12 review that said 0.75 amp, I was wondering about that. I wonder if it's to account for the fact that cheap fuses aren't exactly accurate.

• Zenkman
    Zenkman Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the great input. Can you please explain fast blow. Is that different than a normal type of fuse. Would I have to ask for it by name. Does it really matter if it is a 1A 2A or 3A fuse.
  • Nightfall
    edited April 2015
    You could bypass the fuses all together (or put in a much higher amp fuse) if you wanted, you just run the risk of frying your drivers if you run your amp into clipping. Having the correct fuses is a safety net.

• Nightfall

• Zenkman
    Zenkman Posts: 3
    That helps a lot! Much appreciated.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    If you look at the original Monitor 10 schematic, which was for the Peerless tweeter, it specifies a 1A Fast fuse. When I rebuilt a pair of 10A's I used these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000CZ2YRU
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • My recently purchased 10B's have weak polyswitches and I am not ready to do the XO upgrade yet. Can I short the polyswitch by twisting it and put a .75 or1 amp fast blow inline fuse on the positive wire going to the tweet for protection until the rebuild?

After reading the different post on the upgrades I didn't hear anyone speak of replacing the wire from the XO to the speakers, why would this not be done while in there?

And if I put an inline fuse for the tweets could I put a 2.75 or 3 amp fast blow in for the mid woofers also?

You may ask why all the protection? I have lower power amps 125w max and teenagers that have access to this set-up and I sometimes have drunky ears while listening myself. Not doing the XO upgrade yet leaves a fair amount of change for the purchase of a better amp which is higher on my list as I have other speakers that I am wanting to put some real power behind.

Any advice on the technical aspect of this is appreciated. Though I expect some comments on the teenagers and drunken ears to be forthcoming.

Thanks, Cooley.
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    edited September 2015
    cooley53 wrote: »

After reading the different post on the upgrades I didn't hear anyone speak of replacing the wire from the XO to the speakers, why would this not be done while in there?
    Thanks, Cooley.

The are post in regards to the internal speaker wire upgrades.

I have done it, but honestly, it's such a short distance. Unless the exiting wiring is corroded or damaged, it would be hard to notice any other improvement than aesthetics.

pqj58hv9d11d.jpg
    Post edited by cortico on
  • Thank you very much.

Cooley
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,208
    edited September 2015
    cortico is correct I second that. When I did my SDA's I did redo the wire it was because the former owner had tried to make them something they were not....lots of splices...