Should I get Peerless or RD-0198/TL?

The day has finally come. I've talked in previous threads about how my wife and I are selling our home of 19 years after my son leaves for college. Well, he's now a freshman at East Carolina University, and the house goes on the market on March 20th! Still don't know where we're going to end up, we'd like to get ourselves down to Florida if we can make the job thing happen down there. Meanwhile, we're putting the house on the market because we've just done a ton of fix-ups, and the spring real estate market is looking pretty good so we want to pull the trigger even though we don't know where we're ending up next. Chances are we'll move around a few times, a bit of apartment shuffling as things evolve before we finally settle down again in somewhere that's pretty permanent.

Meanwhile most of our belongings are going into storage, including most of my audio gear. I'm putting together a far less capable but far more transportable 2-channel setup, just a receiver and a pair of vintage Monitors. I'm thinking 5's (not Jr.'s) are the size I'm looking for, I had those speakers once upon a time before I moved up to SDA's.

I had 5B's, but looking around Craigslist and eBay, I've seen original 5's with the fuse and peerless tweeters, and I've seen the SL2000/no fuse variety. I'm trying to decide which ones I should buy. I know that the big advantage of the peerless tweeter is that you don't need to replace it as you do with the SL2000, at least upgrading to RD-0194 (yes, it's an upgrade, but let's not go there.....). So that's about $100 that doesn't need to be spent if you get peerless. But the 5B can also be TL-modded and you can use the RD-0198.

So I'm wondering, besides the cost of the new tweeters, can anyone opine on peerless vs. TL/RD0198 in something like a Monitor 5? Wondering how the sound quality compares?

I'll be powering these with a vintage (1989) Harman Kardon receiver that I scored recently, the HK 990Vxi. This was the receiver I had when I had the 5's originally many years ago, and I know it paired very well back then. Happy to be reassembling my old rig!!!
Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.

Comments