Another "help me choose an amp" thread :(

Options
JimAckley
JimAckley Posts: 1,138
edited June 2013 in Electronics
So I hopped on my local craigslist, and have been looking around at amps. So far I found an Emotiva XPA-2, a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5-channel, Rotel RMB-1075, and NAD C272. I'm presently in a 2-ch setup with an SC-37, but plan on expanding (again) in the future, so both 2-ch and 5-ch are valid choices, per se. Just wanted y'alls thoughts on the various amp companies.
- Computer Rig -
YAΘIN MS-20L, polkaudio RT5

- Main Rig -
Pioneer SC-37, Overnight Sensations, Samsung 52" LCD

- Currently In Progress -
Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
Post edited by JimAckley on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I had the NAD C272 and it is fantastic. Tons of power and a sweet smooth sound. It would be a nice match to speakers that are not so "laid back".
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2013
    Options
    For me anyway, I look for musicality in an amp. Of those choices, the Nad is the more musical of the bunch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I love my Sunfire, that's what I would go for out of that bunch.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • JimAckley
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Can you guys give me an idea of the "sound" of the amps you've used? e.g. warm, cold, bright, etc.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

Curt Campbell's Uluwatu LCR, LMS Ultra Gjallarhorn, JBL W15GTi stereo subs, 2.1 entertainment system for the gf
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    edited January 2013
    Options
    jim, new? used? what's your budget?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2013
    Options
    The more recent amps I have used being: Aragon 8008bb, Pass Labs Aleph 30, and BAT VK-200

1) Aragon 8008bb- Sounds relatively cold yet relatively bright sounding but detail is outstanding. This is the most detailed amp out of these 3 (but only barely more than the VK-200). Moderate soundstage width with good imaging.

2) Pass Labs Aleph 30- Sounds relatively warm, but not as warm as the VK-200. The detail is very good and has a wider soundstage than the Aragon. The imaging is also better than the Aragon. If you do not have efficient speakers and/or you listen at 100+dB's this amp won't cut it for you though.

3) Balanced Audio Technology VK-200- This IMO is the best of the 3 amps. It is very warm sounding and yet highly detailed (not as high as the Aragon though). The soundstage is huge and the imaging is highly 3D sounding!

Hope this helps Jim.

Edit: After seeing your reply below Jim, all these above amps won't do for you (they are all $750+)
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • JimAckley
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Marv, great to hear from ya! It's been too long. These are all used on CL. I'm trying to keep it near $500. These are all pretty close, give or take a buck or two.
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• JimAckley
    edited January 2013
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Tube integrated...

or buy all these:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/ele/3577070257.html

Don't wanna do a tube intergrated since this will be expanding to a home theater setup
    - Computer Rig -

- Main Rig -

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2013
    Options
    NAD, Parasound, B&K are all "warmish" SS amps. There are more. Take a listen and find one in your price and power range. Don't think you can go wrong with any of those.

BAT or Pass ALeph for $500? Not going to happen! Think BUDGET!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited February 2013
    Options
    Post 12 reported.
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited February 2013
    Options
    What kind of speakers are you running?
  • Aragon8008
    Aragon8008 Posts: 10
    edited June 2013
    Options
  • Aragon8008
    Aragon8008 Posts: 10
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Wyred 4 Sound also has great value amps and integrated.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Aragon8008 wrote: »
    Wyred 4 Sound also has great value amps and integrated.

Not for 500 bucks they don't. :smile:
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lanchile
    lanchile Posts: 560
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Well, I wish it was that easy... The best amp for me can sound the worse for you! and that is the same in speakers!!! I remember a friend of mine that build a "Gainclone" amplifier and to him it sounded really good...but for my taste it sounded so "dead" (no bass, the midrange was not defined, and the treble was very "fatiguing") But He liked it!!! So We all have different taste! (Thanks god for that lol)
    Make it simple...Make it better!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited June 2013
    Options
    dead thread bumping lol. Before Aragon's post the last post was in February of this year
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)