SDA Handbook

Options
DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
edited May 2013 in Vintage Speakers
The SDA Handbook is now available in a downloadable PDF format. The Handbook has all the content of the SDA Compendium except for my personal commentary and (outdated) descriptions of my SDA-based rigs. The SDA Handbook runs 106 pages compared to the Compendium's 127.

The SDA Compendium is out of print.

The Handbook exceeds the 2MB limit that I can upload. I have emailed the document to Patrick and asked him to attach it and make this thread a sticky.
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you Ray!! I best grab a ream of copy paper.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Sweet! Just in time for my new (used) 2Bs. BTW, I am 99% sure that the Adcom GFA 555 is a common ground amp, but asking for confirmation.
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you. I look forward to reading
  • bmbguy
    bmbguy Posts: 416
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Very nice. Thanks DK.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Yes thanks so much Ray looking forward to it:razz:

Malbec wrote: »
    Thank you Ray!! I best grab a ream of copy paper.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Excellent, THANK YOU Ray !
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Very kind of you Raife. I should have bought one when I had the chance though!:redface::wink:
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Polkersince85
    Polkersince85 Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2012
    Options
    They should award you an honorary Doctorate of Polkology. The effort you have put into this forum is beyond the call of duty. Thanks for your efforts.
    >
    >
    >This message has been scanned by the NSA and found to be free of harmful intent.<
  • Oldfatdogs
    Oldfatdogs Posts: 1,874
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This is very nice of you,looking forward to reading it.
    Dan
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited September 2012
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Sweet! Just in time for my new (used) 2Bs. BTW, I am 99% sure that the Adcom GFA 555 is a common ground amp, but asking for confirmation.

Thanks, DK! Must be working toward the POY award for 2013 already!! :loneranger:

deronb1 - yes, the GFA555 IS a common ground amp.
  • Big Dawg
    Big Dawg Posts: 2,005
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,038
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Perfect and thank you Sir!!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks and by the way your POY award was well deserved.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you Raife - I look forward to reading it and adding it to my growing collection of things SDA. :cool:
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thanks Raife! They ought to make you Polkie of the Year!
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • philr168
    philr168 Posts: 91
    edited September 2012
    Options
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you Raife :) As others have said, just goes to show why you were named Polkie of the year! Look forward to getting my eyes on this.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,479
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Can't say much more than what everyone stated above, so I'll add another thank you!
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • edwardm10
    edwardm10 Posts: 104
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you very much sir!
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited September 2012
    Options
    They should award you an honorary Doctorate of Polkology. The effort you have put into this forum is beyond the call of duty. Thanks for your efforts.

I love this and second it! I know how important this info is and HOW much WORK went into it, and to make it available in such a format leaves me wordless!

Thanks!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thrilled, thankful...and curious where the download link is. I can't find it.

Appreciated, DK (and Patrick)
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Can't wait to read this. Especially since I have never even seen one.

Very nice of you to make this available to us.

I have a decent collection of original ads from the SDA & SRT eras. I would like to get them mounted and framed as wall decorations for my not yet built audio room. It will be an interesting design in that it will have a movable rear wall to change the size and shape of the room as required by my various speakers.
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I wish we all had a place to scan them and post them on here. I would like to see the old ads and reviews
    oldmodman wrote: »
    Can't wait to read this. Especially since I have never even seen one.

Very nice of you to make this available to us.

I have a decent collection of original ads from the SDA & SRT eras. I would like to get them mounted and framed as wall decorations for my not yet built audio room. It will be an interesting design in that it will have a movable rear wall to change the size and shape of the room as required by my various speakers.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    Thrilled, thankful...and curious where the download link is. I can't find it.

Appreciated, DK (and Patrick)

The download link will be in the first post in this thread...whenever Patrick gets around to posting it.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Thank you Ray. Looking forward to downloading it and having it for reference.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    edited September 2012
    Options
    That is so cool of you for doing this. I can't wait to get a copy!
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    edited September 2012
    Options
    I've seen a hard copy of the compendium. Pretty cool
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• evhudsons
    evhudsons Posts: 1,175
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Sliced cheese just took a step or two back. Thanks for this very much!
    Polk Audio SDA CRS+ crossover 4.1TL by Trey/VR3 (Rings and custom stand by Larry)-Polk Audio SDA SRS2 crossovers by Trey/VR3Parasound HCA1500aYamaha rxa-3070 with musicast-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround backNHTsuper1's surroundMagnepan SMGParasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2 Marantz 2230/B&Kst140Technics 1200mk2 Gamertag: IslandBerserker I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 718
    edited September 2012
    Options
    This is great! Can't wait to get a copy. Thanks for all the hard work.
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    edited September 2012
    Options
    Can't wait. Thanks much.